• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. I was at the Fort Frederick Colonial Market Fair yesterday and saw some really beautiful rifles. My friend was gasping for air at some of the prices. As told him, if I had the money, sure, but some of those big money guns, I’d sure never take it in the woods — I’d be scared of hurting them.

Hawken rifles, the real deal (or close copies), have pleasing lines. I do have Lyman GOR code dated to 1979. Nice smooth lock without all the ugly roll engraving.

My question is: do the Pedersoli have a V main spring or are the coils like the Lymans?

As Craig says, a Mustang is one who began his military career as an enlisted man. I’m sure it’s applied differently in the various branches but essentially, less likely to be a complete screw up and get people killed. ;-)

Well at least its complimentary, but yeah as an enlisted Man then wearing an officers rank is a real eye opener.
I've got to say that after I commissioned, I saw and heard things that didnt improve my attitude towards the officer class; and that included some higher ranked ones.

Great thread. I was at the Fort Frederick Colonial Market Fair yesterday and saw some really beautiful rifles. My friend was gasping for air at some of the prices. As told him, if I had the money, sure, but some of those big money guns, I’d sure never take it in the woods — I’d be scared of hurting them.

Hawken rifles, the real deal (or close copies), have pleasing lines. I do have Lyman GOR code dated to 1979. Nice smooth lock without all the ugly roll engraving.

My question is: do the Pedersoli have a V main spring or are the coils like the Lymans?
V spring in the Pedersoli Hawken.

Pete

The local range was open to casual shooting today, after holding the State Silhouette Lever Action Championships on the weekend. It was good to get out. I did some more practise with the Parker Hale '58 using paper patched minies. Once I got the elevation right, started low, things were looking good. Wonderful weather, good company, a great morning. I was able to retrieve a couple of minies from the berm too. I am going to adjust my target frame, lower it two feet, so that everything I send down range can be collected from the mound to go back into the pot :).

Kindest regards, Pete

IMG_0332.JPG
58.jpg

Well at least its complimentary, but yeah as an enlisted Man then wearing an officers rank is a real eye opener.
I've got to say that after I commissioned, I saw and heard things that didnt improve my attitude towards the officer class; and that included some higher ranked ones.
Ideally, a Mustang never forgets from whence they came…

Ideally, a Mustang never forgets from whence they came…

Thats a meaningful and valid comment sir, thank you.

Strange though that you should tell me that, here I am now a 70 year old Army Veteran with a horde of memories and past privileges; back to whence I came.
Retired and living in the same environment with Cattle, Horses and my Dawg as it was with my elders when I was boy.
My earliest memory is of the warbling of Magpies in the early morning, and they are here again reminding me every morning that I'm blessed to be alive; my old Collie Dawg "the manager" barks to remind me the Horses have come up and if there's a snake or Lizard around; my immediate family is here.
I live with the seasons again and am whole, these last years are as they should be; more alone than ever yet more contented than before.
As you no doubt agree, ageing is a humbling experience but those of us still breathing should count ourselves fortunate to still do so.

The local range was open to casual shooting today, after holding the State Silhouette Lever Action Championships on the weekend. It was good to get out. I did some more practise with the Parker Hale '58 using paper patched minies. Once I got the elevation right, started low, things were looking good. Wonderful weather, good company, a great morning. I was able to retrieve a couple of minies from the berm too. I am going to adjust my target frame, lower it two feet, so that everything I send down range can be collected from the mound to go back into the pot :).

Kindest regards, Pete

View attachment 218995View attachment 218996

Well done there Pete, BTW I clenched the deal on that 2nd hand Pedersoli RM Hawken in .54cal.
Although its a right hander I'm happy with it, never had any issues firing RH Flint or Percussion ML's.

I have a Santa Fe and a custom Hawken. The custom was built by Bill Ragusta. I would not trade it for a Pedersoli or any other I have seen. It has a Tiger Maple upgrade stock [who came up with that name?] that is as nice as any I have seen. Oh, yeah, I also have a Jonathan Browning and an Austin Halleck. Love 'em all, but Mr. Ragusta's build is best. Polecat Edit: full stock

Last edited:
Well done there Pete, BTW I clenched the deal on that 2nd hand Pedersoli RM Hawken in .54cal.
Although its a right hander I'm happy with it, never had any issues firing RH Flint or Percussion ML's.
Give me a heads up when you get it and I'll send on the stuff I find successful. Also, give me some warning when you are heading up to Townsville and I'll shout you a trip to our local range if you have the time - you can shoot my gear. I'll follow through later on with a PM. This site sure is good for connecting like-minded folk. Thanks, Muzzleloading Forum!👍👍

Pete

Give me a heads up when you get it and I'll send on the stuff I find successful. Also, give me some warning when you are heading up to Townsville and I'll shout you a trip to our local range if you have the time - you can shoot my gear. I'll follow through later on with a PM. This site sure is good for connecting like-minded folk. Thanks, Muzzleloading Forum!👍👍

Pete

Thanks Pete, I appreciate your advice on the RM Hawken, your proven loads in particular.
I expect to be in Townsville sometime in July, but only for a few days, be good to meet up then.
BTW the bloke selling the Hawken is a member of this site as well, isnt it a small world.

I have a Santa Fe and a custom Hawken. The custom was built by Bill Ragusta. I would not trade it for a Pedersoli or any other I have seen. It has a Tiger Maple upgrade stock [who came up with that name?] that is as nice as any I have seen. Oh, yeah, I also have a Jonathan Browning and an Austin Halleck. Love 'em all, but Mr. Ragusta's build is best. Polecat Edit: full stock

Sadly we dont get your options over there, here in Australia a Pedersoli RM Hawken is as rare as rocking horse shite, especially a good 2nd hand one.
By all my internet research the Pedersoli as about as good as it gets when it comes to a commercially made one, so I'm fully chuffed with being able to finally buy it.

Sadly we dont get your options over there, here in Australia a Pedersoli RM Hawken is as rare as rocking horse shite, especially a good 2nd hand one.
By all my internet research the Pedersoli as about as good as it gets when it comes to a commercially made one, so I'm fully chuffed with being able to finally buy it.
We’re damn lucky compared with shooters pretty much anywhere else in the world. That’s a fact.

Back