• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawnshop find , what is it ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up this Muzzleloader yesterday at a pawnshop. They had no idea what it was. My Research makes me think it is the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Maple Hawken in 54 caliber. Three little symbols under the stock, one is the date code for 1986. The other one looks like PN , I cannot make out the other well enough without a good magnifying glass. I has hoping someone will be able to ID it from my pictures. FBC

Attachments

• IMG_8413.jpeg
    IMG_8413.jpeg
    884.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8414.jpeg
    IMG_8414.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8415.jpeg
    IMG_8415.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8416.jpeg
    IMG_8416.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8417.jpeg
    IMG_8417.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Picked up this Muzzleloader yesterday at a pawnshop. They had no idea what it was. My Research makes me think it is the Rocky Mountain Maple Hawken in 54 caliber. Three little symbols under the stock, one is the date code for 1986. The other one looks like PN , I cannot make out the other well enough without a good magnifying glass. I has hoping someone will be able to ID it from my pictures. FBC
Under stock on barrel says black powder only , made in Italy , .54

From what I can see in the pics, it is identical to my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken except my lock bolt escutcheon is color case hardened (your's appears brass), my barrel key escutcheons are color case hardened (can't tell on yours, blued?), and the my rear sight piece super-high polished, but not sure of finish (yours looks like faded blue or plum). Mine was made in 2022.

They had it setting in the rack next to a TC renegade for 300 something dollars . When I seen the $150 price tag I didn't hesitate to walk back to the truck and get my wallet.
Well you need to go apologize for ripping the Pawn Shop off if you paid $150 - actually imagine what they paid for it from previous owner or person who stole it and sold it to Pawn SHop.

From what I can see in the pics, it is identical to my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken except my lock bolt escutcheon is color case hardened (your's appears brass), my barrel key escutcheons are color case hardened (can't tell on yours, blued?), and the my rear sight piece super-high polished, but not sure of finish (yours looks like faded blue or plum). Mine was made in 2022.
Date code on mine comes back to 1986 . The metal is mostly browned . Barrel is in excellent condition. Shot it yesterday with 60 grains of my homemade black powder . Felt like a very light load and accuracy was only fair . I will try it again with a heavier charge when I get time. FBC

Well you need to go apologize for ripping the Pawn Shop off if you paid $150 - actually imagine what they paid for it from previous owner or person who stole it and sold it to Pawn SHop.
Probably pawned by someone that inherited grandpas guns and didn't know what it was . Pawn shop guys didn't know either . FBC

They had it setting in the rack next to a TC renegade for 300 something dollars . When I seen the $150 price tag I didn't hesitate to walk back to the truck and get my wallet.

Man Good on you. Some days you are the Bug-Somedays the Windshield! What a beautiful piece of wood !

Thanks,
O.R.

Picked up this Muzzleloader yesterday at a pawnshop. They had no idea what it was. My Research makes me think it is the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Maple Hawken in 54 caliber. Three little symbols under the stock, one is the date code for 1986. The other one looks like PN , I cannot make out the other well enough without a good magnifying glass. I has hoping someone will be able to ID it from my pictures. FBC
Yep. Rocky Mountain Hawken, Pedersoli. That's a lovely get for sure, @ Ferryboatcaptain! Try a .530 round ball, .018 spit lubed patch (pillow ticking), and 80 grains of FFG real black. Enjoy your prize - I do really like mine!

Cheers, Pete

chital1.jpg
Rockymountainhawken-.jpg

I’m flummoxed that you actually went into a pawnshop without your wallet in the first place! 🤣

Some of you guys are lucky. The Pawn shops here said they don’t deal with sidelocks.

Last edited:
You stole that rifle!!! Very nice!
Apt description.

I paid US$1300 for mine in 2022 (in EU). In US, that gun is at the low end $1500, and usually closer to $2000 when available -- which is almost never.

It's a good rifle and a decent interpretation of a plains rifle. I think it is better than the Lyman GPR -- silver front blade, better wood, etc. -- but not $600 better.

For $150...yeah, that was either theft or a gift.

Congrats @Ferryboatcaptain, you made out like a bandit.

Back