• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My last day of the 2009 season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkmeyer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This was my last day of the 2009 turkey season. :thumbsup:
I started to work a turkey very early but failed to close the deal.
After some time had passed I decided to make a move and do some scouting. Spot #2 proved to be no better than where I started so I made another move. Location #3 looked very promising but ultimately was showing signs as did the other two locations. As I sat considering what to do next I saw movement at about 75 yards out. I couldn't make out what was there. After a few minutes I realized there were two baby fawns. They were just romping about then lying down for short periods of time then back up and on the move again. This went on for quite a while getting ever closer to my spot. One of the pair decided to lie down about 15 feet away while the other got to within 5-6 feet of me. I sat and watched for about a half hour or so when #2 decided to nap. All this time I'm wondering what happened to Mom? No sign of her anywhere, this can't be a good thing!
I finally decided it was time to give up for this season as I had other commitments. As I went to fetch my decoy I stopped to pet the fawn that was asleep in front of me. My approach did not seem to affect it in the least. On my return to gather my gun and pouch sleeping beauty jumped up and ran a short distance.
On the way to my truck I found #2 asleep next to a deadfall, gave it a pat on the head and went on my way. I tried to locate any sign of Mom but unfortunately none was found. Mother nature can be very cruel at times but I guess that's the way it must be.
Here are the pictures of my short late season hunt.
Dusty :wink:
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg

Wow, what a memory! Did you go back a day or so later and see if the fawns were still around. I would think, unless killed on the road, the mother was not that aweful far away. Not many could have had the opertunity to witness what you had seen.

An outstanding event for sure...those situations stumbled into from time to time are as much or more about the hunting experience as anything else...thanks for sharing the story!

Thanks for sharing your story and photos. I've hunted for over 60 years and have never had the opportunity you were so fortunate to experience.

Thanks guys.
I did return on Saturday and unfortunately found one of the pair dead. It sure was a once in a lifetime adventure.
I do feel blessed to have been in the rite place at the rite time to witness these two oh so innocent creatures up close and personal.
A friend has a local radio show about the outdoors and is going to present my story on Sunday morning.
I have long been of the opinion that killing the game is not always quite so satisfying. As I get older being able to get into the woods and smell the roses so to speak, is very much worth the effort required.
Dusty :wink:

Wow, that is terrible about the one. I wonder if it was sick or if there was no mother to tend to it? Anyrate, seeing the little guys will always be in your memory.

Seeing fawns is always a neat sight.

It may seem strange but young fawns are more or less abandoned for much of the day. Too many think the doe must have been hit by a car and 'rescue' the fawns, but she is probably just off feeding. The doe shows up in the area she left the fawns to feed them a few times a day. Most fawns of the deer family have little scent when they are young and if they don't move around much predators have trouble finding them. It is really best not to ever pet one, not because the mother will care but it could add scent for predators to investigate. If one is in a dangerous spot, like someplace being mowed, it is not dooming them to death if you move them to the side of the field.

If the one was just dead with no signs of trauma then it probably had something wrong from birth.

Tim

Back