• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first rifle returned after years but..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I would go to the trouble and expense of replacing the breech, I would use a buffer of cornmeal over the powder to lift the ball to the good section of the barrel. Let's try a less expensive approach first.

Well from what I saw, the pitting is involved over a long area..., and this is an odd type of construction, as the breech isn't a plug, it's the last few inches of the barrel. One might be able to have the ball sit above the pitting..., and good to try first, YES, but otherwise, this is the problem

REALLY LONG BREECH.jpg

LD

Can you take one more picture? Get the whole rear of the barrel. There should be a visible line just in front of the snail all the way around the barrel. I have removed two of these . Both came out easily,Not like the TC breaches at all. If it is like mine ,I will give you one. One I have had in the basement for 40 years.

I spent a week cleaning up an antique Remington rifle musket recently and the breech plug was not only filled with an oil soaked powder charge, it was covered in rust internally. I had never removed a breech plug before but I got the right tools for the job and took it off and cleaned it out and plan to shoot it.

Your bore scope pics look like just the face of the breech plug is pitted which doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. If you are really concerned then take the plug off and clean/inspect it up close.

Also it may not feel smotth loading and cleaning (mine didnt feel the same) but when yer gerring a gret group it can be accepted. Always will blame her for this and she really should PAY THE $800.00!
She is something else. She got everything even my inheritance. But she left me with the kids and had not seen them in over 5 years. It’s great how the legal system works lol

Well from what I saw, the pitting is involved over a long area..., and this is an odd type of construction, as the breech isn't a plug, it's the last few inches of the barrel. One might be able to have the ball sit above the pitting..., and good to try first, YES, but otherwise, this is the problem

View attachment 251427

LD
That line is where is was soaking in evapo rust. Have multiple now. Have to steel wool them out when I remove the rest of the blue and clean up before reblue

Attachments

• 3AE78429-1023-458C-A5F7-176DFEED19B0.jpeg
    3AE78429-1023-458C-A5F7-176DFEED19B0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Can you take one more picture? Get the whole rear of the barrel. There should be a visible line just in front of the snail all the way around the barrel. I have removed two of these . Both came out easily,Not like the TC breaches at all. If it is like mine ,I will give you one. One I have had in the basement for 40 years.

Before I would go to the trouble and expense of replacing the breech, I would use a buffer of cornmeal over the powder to lift the ball to the good section of the barrel. Let's try a less expensive approach first.
Thanks, here is the powder level at 60grains. Think I might be okay

Attachments

• BEC92999-2161-4C14-8E76-EB903C3001C2.jpeg
    BEC92999-2161-4C14-8E76-EB903C3001C2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for all the help everyone. I’m starting to feel better. Not so frustrated anymore.

That line is where is was soaking in evapo rust. Have multiple now. Have to steel wool them out when I remove the rest of the blue and clean up before reblue
:doh: Sorry I thought that's where a lower portion was joined to an upper. I have Pedersoli shotguns where there is a breech area joined to the barrels with a line, only they then engraved a pattern over where the parts meet.

LD

I have a .54 that looked a lot worse than yours and with a thorough cleaning and a light lapping with 600 Alundum, it shoots just fine. Shoot it like you did in the old days and I'll bet you will be happy!

It's not that bad. You'd be surprised how well a neglected barrel can shoot after being cleaned up. Shoot it first with different loads and then decide.....then I'll bet you'll like it and keep it.

Ok. So this was my first rifle I hunted with when I was just a kid. Its early 90s Investarms Charles Daly 45 cal chrome bore. To make a long story short the divorce was nasty when I got this back it was sitting for 6-7 years. Looks like someone fired it and possibly never cleaned it or did a bad job. I tried everything and been working on it for weeks. I tried all the things found in forums. I even tried envapo rust which actually helped. I finally covered the bottom of the barrel where the nipple hole and breech with petroleum jelly and let it sit in hydrogen peroxide filling up the chamber area. Petroleum jelly was to protect the outer barrel from rusting. I monitored it with a bore snake camera. I knew there would be pitting. Question is it salvageable? Shootable? I know I will have to baby it for life. I priced replacing the breech and it’s the cost of a new barrel but not chrome lined. It has sentimental value to me so. Once I get this done I can rebuke the barrel and fix up the rest. Thank you for any input.
What makes you think that the breech needs replacing ?

I shoot primarily original ml firearms & bores on some have been sitting idle & uncared for for many decades yet the breeches & bores remain in
excellent & safe shooting condition after proper inspection & cleaning. Even though the bores & rifling on some may remain dark after cleaning that hasn't prevented getting excellent accuracy with the right load combination.
Relic shooter

Ok. So this was my first rifle I hunted with when I was just a kid. Its early 90s Investarms Charles Daly 45 cal chrome bore. To make a long story short the divorce was nasty when I got this back it was sitting for 6-7 years. Looks like someone fired it and possibly never cleaned it or did a bad job. I tried everything and been working on it for weeks. I tried all the things found in forums. I even tried envapo rust which actually helped. I finally covered the bottom of the barrel where the nipple hole and breech with petroleum jelly and let it sit in hydrogen peroxide filling up the chamber area. Petroleum jelly was to protect the outer barrel from rusting. I monitored it with a bore snake camera. I knew there would be pitting. Question is it salvageable? Shootable? I know I will have to baby it for life. I priced replacing the breech and it’s the cost of a new barrel but not chrome lined. It has sentimental value to me so. Once I get this done I can rebuke the barrel and fix up the rest. Thank you for any input.
I’m with group that says shoot it. I bought a Pedersoli Pa. Rifle that had been shot and not cleaned. I cleaned the barrel with a range rod and various size jags and materials (steel wool to Emory cloth). to get the BP popcorn out of the barrel. Even slightly flawed the gun shot fine. In your rifle, The transition from the breech to the chrome lining is easily seen, but the dimensional offset I can’t see an issue. Unfortunately, the comb on a PA. Rifle gave me a black eye everytime I shot it. So I sold it.

Back