• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first rifle returned after years but..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justadad

32 Cal
Reaction score
Ok. So this was my first rifle I hunted with when I was just a kid. Its early 90s Investarms Charles Daly 45 cal chrome bore. To make a long story short the divorce was nasty when I got this back it was sitting for 6-7 years. Looks like someone fired it and possibly never cleaned it or did a bad job. I tried everything and been working on it for weeks. I tried all the things found in forums. I even tried envapo rust which actually helped. I finally covered the bottom of the barrel where the nipple hole and breech with petroleum jelly and let it sit in hydrogen peroxide filling up the chamber area. Petroleum jelly was to protect the outer barrel from rusting. I monitored it with a bore snake camera. I knew there would be pitting. Question is it salvageable? Shootable? I know I will have to baby it for life. I priced replacing the breech and it’s the cost of a new barrel but not chrome lined. It has sentimental value to me so. Once I get this done I can rebuke the barrel and fix up the rest. Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• 21619A2C-2017-4D55-9C45-915AC709994B.jpeg
    21619A2C-2017-4D55-9C45-915AC709994B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 60A34852-42AF-4165-BE41-8BC2BCA24E9D.jpeg
    60A34852-42AF-4165-BE41-8BC2BCA24E9D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 956A5490-38C6-4406-B652-EF1D4CB7A178.jpeg
    956A5490-38C6-4406-B652-EF1D4CB7A178.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D57DE19A-6BDF-4237-9EC9-FA6336768DDD.jpeg
    D57DE19A-6BDF-4237-9EC9-FA6336768DDD.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 8D941F92-8C08-477C-B378-45900E2A8023.jpeg
    8D941F92-8C08-477C-B378-45900E2A8023.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • CA7E0282-C840-409A-8B38-4AA31BF4DBC9.jpeg
    CA7E0282-C840-409A-8B38-4AA31BF4DBC9.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
The problem is the really long breech, eh? It does look "workable" but the question is how thick is the barrel? So what's the size across the the barrel flats? You might be able to have it reamed out to .480 or perhaps re-rifled as a .50. The first option is the easiest, and would likely limit your shots on deer to 50 yards or less, but..., you'd have a shotgun as the barrel would be a smooth bore.

LD

Definitely coming along. Hows the barrel? If most pitting is in the breech area, I would think it should still be shootable. Best fix would be as stated, have it re-bored, if 15/16ths across flats could easily have it rifled to .50, would add cost but would pretty much have your old gun back as it was. Just my thoughts.

Definitely coming along. Hows the barrel? If most pitting is in the breech area, I would think it should still be shootable. Best fix would be as stated, have it re-bored, if 15/16ths across flats could easily have it rifled to .50, would add cost but would pretty much have your old gun back as it was. Just my thoughts.
Barrel is really good. I guess the chrome lined helped. Think maybe they attempted to clean it like a modern rifle. Rifling good no rust or pitting. Just the breech. The bluing came off while working on it but other than that it is good.

This might be a dumb question but I’m a rookie here so here goes, why can’t you just get it a new breech installed?
You can. I quoted here locally and nothing less than 800. I’m calling B.S. so I’m going to buy the metal vise octagon barrel attachment and look for a wrench fitting. Probably contact Investarms. I bought stuff direct from them years ago. They ship to the U.S. Numrich does not have it

The problem is the really long breech, eh? It does look "workable" but the question is how thick is the barrel? So what's the size across the the barrel flats? You might be able to have it reamed out to .480 or perhaps re-rifled as a .50. The first option is the easiest, and would likely limit your shots on deer to 50 yards or less, but..., you'd have a shotgun as the barrel would be a smooth bore.

LD

LD

Attachments

• IMG_2623.MOV
    28.1 MB
You can. I quoted here locally and nothing less than 800. I’m calling B.S. so I’m going to buy the metal vise octagon barrel attachment and look for a wrench fitting. Probably contact Investarms. I bought stuff direct from them years ago. They ship to the U.S. Numrich does not have it
Oh no! That’s not even close! Contact a blackpowder gunsmith, you’ll need to provide a breech plug but it shouldn’t cost anywhere near that much…

Hmmm… actually, after viewing the video, I would shoot it as is. Yes, there was corrosion but it doesn’t look as bad as all that. The chrome seems to have held up. Shoot it And good luck.

And, per the recommendation to rebore it or bore and reline it to .45 or bore it larger, I’m sure Bob Hoyt would be able to do it but I really don’t think it’s necessary.

Last edited:

LD
Yeah, have Bobby Hoyt re-bore it!

I would never have guessed replacing the breech would cost $800, I think you are right to call bs on that.

I’ll bet that Colonial Riflesmith guy on here would do a great job replacing and or fixing that breech and charge less than $800, but I don’t want to speak for him, maybe send him a PM.

Back