• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moderator Question thought on new board

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbittcop

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it be possible to have a separate board for Black Powder Revolver Posts. It would make searching easier and keep things a little more concentrated on one topic.

Just a thought. :imo: :m2c:

If you do make one up could we move some of the revolver threads to it.

Thanks,

hobbittcop :peace:

It's a very good thought. The C&B revolvers are a subject unto themselves--vastly different from all other percussion firearms.

I've given that a lot of thought, Stumpy.

I still haven't decided.

1. They are loaded more like a muzzleloader than a cartridge revolver, but they don't load at the muzzle.

2. They use percussion caps, but they are repeaters.

3. They originated in the muzzleloader era, but not until the very end of it.

4. They shoot black powder, but they are close to an inline in ignition.

5. They like the longrifle have a pretty romantacized role in American history, but so does the Colt Peacemaker and the Tommy Gun.

Well anyway for every argument I can think of to include them I can come up with an equally compelling reason not, too. The bottom line is that I enjoy shooting them and the history associated with them.

If there is a separate board for them I'll definitely be a regular on it, but if there isn't that's okay by me, too.

Oh, and one more thought; since the forum has a Civil War board, the door is open to C&B revolvers. I don't remember off hand the dates ascribed to the Early Plains era for the Forum's purposes, but I think that that too leaves the door open for some of the early models.

How many Forum members are involved in C&B revolvers?

Since the Chambers are loaded directly, the C&B revolver is more like a breech loader, such as the Ferguson, than a ML.

Now I know we need a new board! Stumpy, could you please expand on that thought?

Roundball got it.

Percussion revolvers exist in the netherworld of blackpowder arms. If you swap a loaded cylinder for an empty then you have a magazine fed repeater, no? (Savage and Mannlicher both used revolving magazines at one time).

I'm being a pain in the botox, but it's what I do best. I'd pay $5.00 to watch someone load five chambers from the muzzle instead of the frame opening. ::

I have a Pietta Colt Navy that I loved until it got out-of-time. I wore it out in 400 rounds. :curse: Shoulda got a Uberti. (And it upsets me somewhat that Cabela's gun dept. refused to tell me who made their .36 Navy when I ordered, it because I had been told to avoid Pietta, and wished to.) You get what you pay for.

In loading the Ferguson, one first places the ball in the chamber and then the powder. If this sequence is followed with a C&B revolver, ignition will be difficult to say the least. C&B revolvers do load in a somewhat similar manner to
the Hall rifle, only most C&B revolvers do have an attached rammer used to seat the oversized ball.
The revolver is a relative of the true muzzle loader and, to my mind at least has more in common with muzzle loaders than with cartridge guns.
Speaking of multi-shot, percussion, revolving chambered firearms, what of the pepper box?

...... ain't Pepperboxs, and Swivel Breechs, also true "muzzle" loaders???? ::

YMHS
rollingb

Percussion revolvers don't load from the muzzle but they are "fron loaders"- just not front front. Mark Twain (who carried a Smith and Wesson Model 1) called the PepperBox an "Allen Revolver."

Right now, there seems to be plenty of room for Revolvers on the Percussion window so, I don't see any strong argument for a separate site- one way or the other. I'm interested in single loader pistols too and don't mind finding them on the same page.

Would it be possible to have a separate board for Black Powder Revolver Posts. It would make searching easier and keep things a little more concentrated on one topic.

Just a thought. :imo: :m2c:

If you do make one up could we move some of the revolver threads to it.
Thanks,
hobbittcop :peace:

Under the weapons section there's just a Flintlock category and a Percussion category.

Maybe there could be a Flintlock Rifle and a Flintlock Pistol categories;

Likewise, Percussion Rifle and Percussion Pistol categories;

:m2c:

Would it be possible to have a separate board for Black Powder Revolver Posts

Great idea, but perhaps it would be better if'n the proposed new section covered BP HANDGUNS which would include C&B revolvers, and single shot ML handguns (and pepper-boxes etc etc etc).

I would also like to see ANOTHER section catering to BP cartidge handguns & shotguns & rifles. Then us BP fans, not just ML fans, can make TMF our one-stop-black-powder-forum!!!

:m2c:

Jim.
:thumbsup:

I've often thought that a separate thread for black powder grenades would be appropriate. This much overlooked topic is no doubt festering deep in the minds of many black powder enthusiasts.

The cap n balls are black powder guns that do not use a cartridge. They may not be muzzleloaders in the strictest sense, but do load from that direction, unlike the Ferguson and other breach loaders.

They are also covered by the NMLRA in their instructor training and are included in ML competitions across the country.

The cap and ball is clearly a cap gun and should be managed here as I doubt that there is enough interest to maintain another forum just for those gun. What percent of this forum involves this type of gun?

Just my thoughts on the matter.
(Yes, I have 1 and like it quite well -- it is an Uberti 1858 Remington)

YMHS,
CrackStock

I've often thought that a separate thread for black powder grenades would be appropriate. This much overlooked topic is no doubt festering deep in the minds of many black powder enthusiasts.

On a serious note, I was very surprised to see and learn about the grenades that were used back during the Revolutionary War...launchers on flintlocks, etc

While I was being facetious, grenades have been around for a very long time. Originally, they seem to have been called grenadoes, and there is supposition that they originated in or near Grenada. Guess there really isn't anything new under the sun, as the saying goes.

Anyone who has spent time with a revolver can appriciate the complexities of this type of fire arm. Maybe more people would utilize a pistol catagory to include not only revolvers, put also single shot percussion and flint lock pistols. I guess the question would be will the new catagory be easier to use than the current layout.

Latest posts

Back