• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I find myself wanting a side arm to stick in my sash as I swagger forth, and for both the period and ergonomics I am partial to the Heavy Dragoon cavalry pistol with the 10" barrel. Militaryheritage.com sells a kit, and though I can find two threads on them there isn't a lot of information on the company other than they honor their guarantee. Does anyone have experience with the quality of these kits? They hold them dear and it will cost about $800 before all is said and done. Just want to know if it's worth it, or there is a better option outside of an original.

They sell Indian made items. And if I recall, ship them without the touch hole drilled for Canadian legalities. Reviews here range from good to junk. You may want to search the forum for Military Heritage and Indian made guns.

I find myself wanting a side arm to stick in my sash as I swagger forth, and for both the period and ergonomics I am partial to the Heavy Dragoon cavalry pistol with the 10" barrel. Militaryheritage.com sells a kit, and though I can find two threads on them there isn't a lot of information on the company other than they honor their guarantee. Does anyone have experience with the quality of these kits? They hold them dear and it will cost about $800 before all is said and done. Just want to know if it's worth it, or there is a better option outside of an original.
I would recommend Loyalist arms, as he reworks his guns and they come shootable…. Sort of. So as to not ship guns he ships tge gun and lock separately

don't know about their kits but I like what i got from them.

some work involved but ain't scared to get my hands dirty.

20221026_201920.jpg
20221026_200934.jpg

]camo

Here's my "skinny" on my Brown Bess that I received from them 3 weeks ago;
They are no Pedersoli guns by a long shot :)rolleyes:). If you plan on shooting it a LOT buy better quality. For me I plan on shooting it sometimes not much and it is mostly going to be a wall hanger. My main concern is how they are breached or should I say "not breached properly". To drill the vent hole properly you must remove the breach plug and when you do you will find that the barrel is threaded much deeper than the plug and runs past where the vent hole ends up. This will cause the powder erosion in the threads forward of the face of the breach plug and eventually create failure from rusting of the breach area. This will also catch your cleaning patches causing you to use some kind of jag to fish out your lost patch. As for the breach plug it has a hole drilled into it to a depth on about 0.350" and a diameter of 0.375" for what reason I do not know. It serves no purpose at all. I made a steel plug 0.0005" bigger in diameter than the hole and shrink-fit it into the hole which plugged up this hole in the breach plug making it a solid entity. I plan on shooting this Bess with reduced BP charges and when it goes on the wall I will remove the breach plug and do a THROUGH cleaning of the barrel and breach plug then apply Teflon Pipe Dope and reassemble it. Here is a picture of the breach plug removed from my Brown Bess. I also grounded flat the face of the breach plug which put the vent hole 1/16" forward of its face.
P1030783.JPG

Back