• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage matchlocks.. How do they rate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannonman1

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am a veteran muzzleloader and I wanted to add a matchlock to my inventory. Military Heritage seems to have a reaonable price on their 2 versions of matchlock available but before ordering one I thought I would check with the forum and see if anyone has seen their products and how they rate for quality and safety. I know they require a vent, which is no big deal. I intend to shoot a .735 ball in what I believe is a .750 bore with a 100 grain powder charge Fg granulation.

They are actually very good and safe to shoot I have no Idea why I hear comments about the breech on these muskets is mentioned as a problem they are very good and just as strong as any .I have 5 of these muskets been using them heavily for years The ones sold by Veteran Arms and loyalist arms are of the early Spanish/French pattern heavy and clumsy like the originals they are built by Ragesthan armory India shoulder well and shoot well very well 85 grains 1f powder with 1 and quarter once of of no 4 shot has been very effective on turkey to 35 yards 3 years in a row .With ball same charge of powder never never patch the ball they never did in the day you should not use 1 f black powder that s correct powder 1 F IS CORSE GRAIN which is Real Musket powder 2or 3 f is fine grain is for priming 4 f is to fine for matchlocks and ignites poorly with match and the fine grain and gets into every thing avoid using 4f with matchlocks you simply drop your ball down the barrel ram a wad on top of the ball firmly to secure the ball on the charge The one military heritage are also well made earl 17 th century Swedish /English pattern1600 to 1680s very authentic lighter a little shorter not as cumbersome as the full muskets the finish on the wood is prone to chipping and scratching bees wax will help protect it keep in mind that in 16 and 17 century one of the most common stock Finnish's for a musket stock black paint or tar

Yeppers...however, aside from custom builders, who else sells completed matchlocks aside from the resellers for Indian manufacturers?
Exactly. It's amazing how much flak I caught on another thread saying the same thing. For earlier time period there is essentially no competition yet anyone thinking of getting one is told how bad they are. If they are the only thing available they are "the best" you can get.

There great many comments good and bad about Indian made muskets some of it snobbery and most of it is ignorance some people donot know better I have been an active gun gunsmith for over 40 years own many muskets have repaired 1000s never hunt with modern breech loaders only muzzle loaders and prefer matchlocks .I own several original matchlocks and quite a few reproductions supplied by the rifle shop kit nice late style english matchlock two by John Buck one By Dale Shin and 3 From Ragesthan Armory India supplied by 1Historical twist Canada 1from Veteran arms USA and one from Loyalist arms Canada these are excellent muskets all three have been heavily fired over the years no issues shoot Well with shot or ball .The last batch is from indian made from Military Heritage Canada one trigger lock and one sear bar matchlocks both are excellent good shooters Made in India By MKT early 17 century models English Regimental class muskets English Civil war and of course heavy colonial use these musket are well made as originals authentic and safe to shoot .The Indian matchlock muskets on the market are safe and made like the originals and readily available they are cheap and are most definitely worth it

Latest posts

Back