• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

meat on a rock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
horner75 said:
Phil Coffins said:
Some times we make cooking to complex, these deer tender loins came out first rate with nothing but a dab of bacon grease on a hot rock. Camp meat at 11000 feet for the 2016 muzzle loader hunt
IMG_1201.jpg

You sure your not cooking that other fella's boots :shocked2: :doh: ?????

Love that original mountain man hat. :rotf:

Visit the Rocky Mountains and find a maple stick at 11000 feet! That only works for Hollywood, for that matter even the willows up there are twisted scrub along the creek. But it's fun to speculate on all the things that could be done. :grin:

Colorado Clyde said:
zimmerstutzen said:
why use a rock wen a green maple stick is about arms length away.

What I can't figure out is, who goes camping and doesn't take a fry pan?...Or something..

I have a small tin fry pan that carries in my haversack. I'll cook my meat in it or over the fire with a stick. Other things (bacon, potatos, onions, etc.) are cooked in the pan. I then eat out of the pan. Handle helps when things are hot. And only one utensil to clean. If bacon or fat was used I simply wipe out with a hunk of burlap then toss that in fire.

Visit the Rocky Mountains and find a maple stick at 11000 feet!

Heck most of us flatlanders from the east coast couldn't breathe at that altitude. I visited the peak of Mt. Mitchell here, and had trouble breathing just walking across the parking lot. and that peak is only 6,683 ft. (I was living in Miami for two years and suddenly went up that high while on a road trip.)

I only use "virgin hot rocks" obtained from a secret source......Fred

You haven't lived until you've tried the "extra virgin" rocks. Mind. Blown.

The best steak I've ever cooked in the woods was directly on the coals of a dry wood fire. I don't know what kind of tree it was from; it was dead and caused almost zero smoke. I laid the meat directly on the coals, which left only a minimize of ash on the steak. As to why I did this, I can't remember. But boy, was it delicious!

The tutsiwutsi of northern , arid Africa cook all their meat on the coals and seeing there's no wood in the desert, they use camel dung which adds a unique flavor to the meat.....a kind of smoky, earthy, aromatic, pungent, stinky taste and smell. They're raised on meat cooked on camel dung coals from young on and it's spoiled them.....if they can't have their favorite, then it's eaten raw. All or nothing.

The tutsiwutsi survive in areas that would kill those not raised in their environment....similar to the Eskimos who also live in a very harsh, treeless environment and by coincidence cook their meat on whale or seal dung coals.

Have we stumbled unto a secret that enables both these peoples to survive and prosper in an environment that would literally kill us?.... :hmm:

Thanks for initiating a subject that until now was a big secret..... :grin: .....Fred

Perhaps we have the same source. I only use lava once it has cooled to about 800F and then throw the steak on. You can't get a fresher rock that that......

Eskimo is derived from an Ojibway term "ayuskimo" meaning eaters of raw meat didn't cook their meat over anything. Their soapstone candles burned whale or seal blubber and did not provide the heat required to cook.

Back