• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

May need to pull breech plug.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I’d like him to pull the breechplug. But here’s a technique for doing the deed: First off; mark the underside of the point that the breechplug and the barrel meet with a cold chisel. Put the breechplug in a good sturdy vice with copper jaw covers. Support the other end of the barrel on something quite solid/sturdy. I find a chair is pretty good. Have the chair face the barrel backwards and have your assistant sit on the chair backwards to hold the barrel, so it doesn’t move up, down or sideways. You could rig up something else that does the same job, if you’re alone. Get yourself a 6 foot or so piece of 1/2” plus nylon rope. Use masking tape to tape the ends of the rope to each end of your barrel. Wrap the rope around your barrel in a counterclockwise direction. Use a good sturdy stick of hardwood about 2-3 feet long, stick in the loop and keep turning around your barrel. As this windlass tightens; eventually the breechplug will “pop” loose. With this combination your barrel will not get scratched up, bent or ruined. Do the opposite for the install, put a bit of lube on the plug, and line up the cold chisel marks and you’re done! I heard about/done this “Technique“ over 40 years ago and it is slick!

I really don't want to but I may need to pull breech plug or drill and easy out my white lightning liner or maybe nothing.The liner I forgot to cut back so it doesn't stick into chamber. The liner is about 1/8 maybe more in front of breech plug face.I had to modify my scraper to get to BP. I'm thinking this liner sticking into the breech is making clean up
more difficult. What do the experts here say?
Leave it,,,pull liner and install new one cut to proper length,,,or pull BP and work the liner protrusion back to inside wall of barrel. The last one seems alot more difficult. This is on my fusil 20 ga.
Thanks
Hope this is in the right section of the forum.
Pull your Bree h plug then grind down your liner flush with the wall ...a moto tool works great for doing this ....

I usually use 2 blocks of wood chiseled out to the barrel profile. my vise weighs about 40 to 50 pounds. I have a monkey wrench that is about 16 inches long. Never found anything that I couldn't take apart.

Back