• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

matchlock's and modern world view

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone make fantasy matchlocks?
That is to say matchlocks that are more modernized in stock dimensions, design and materials?

"Why would you want such an atrocity?" You ask.
Because I like to wonder what gun might look like if the technology for guns did not keep pace with the technology of the rest of the world. Like: what would a gun look like today if we never figured out more complicated ignition systems than the match lock?

Hi Cynthialee
You mentioned the Hawken wheellock idea the other day , and it got me to thinking that a smaller wheellock lock would be the way to go.

The locks I have been building have been based on a 2" wheel and the locks end up being quite large compared to a standard flintlock lock.

I think building a wheellock based on a smaller wheel ( 1.375" ) would scale the whole lock down to a lock closer in size to a flintlock sized lock.

Here is a photo of my last wheellock on a TC rifle to show why I think the lock needs to be smaller.
hawken.jpg

And here is a photo with a sketch of a scaled down lock on the TC
wheelhawken.jpg

I think it would make a cool project.

best regards

Sorry Cynthialee
Just reread your post and realize you were asking about match locks , my bad :redface:

I've not thought of that but if you do a google search the Tibetan's used matchlocks as late as the middle 20th century- for hunting and fighting the Chinese invasion of Tibet.

Some of theirs are pretty elaborate from what I am told (silver, gold inlays, damascus barrels, etc).

Of course there are lots of fantasy matchlock pistols. Aside from Japan and India, there seems to not have been many (if any) matchlock pistols in Europe.

Oh and thinking on it more I just had a vision of a plastic stocked AR styled "tacticool" matchlock :barf:

Now there is a thought :shocked2:

All in good jest though!

Cynthialee said:
:grin:

There was a picture of a tactical caplock floating around awhile back. I thought it was rather spiffy looking. I was in the minority.

tactical caplock :barf: :slap:

ya sure do have some strange tastes cynthia.

as for a modern matchlock, well im not really sure how modern a matchlock can be. the device is pretty simple unless your reffering to some of the fancier snapping matchlocks. however there was a guy in the hunting section of this forum that made a semi-modern matchlock rifle. if i remember correctly it was a home made small caliber (50 or 54) rifle with a matchlock mechanism on it. if ya do a search for matchlock in the hunting section ya might find it.

however if by modern matchlock you mean something made of plastic with rails on it... ive never seen one and i hope i never do!

-matt

There are lots of photos of tactical matchlocks and flint locks on this site and forums . :idunno:

if i remember correctly it was a home made small caliber (50 or 54) rifle with a matchlock mechanism on it.

Not all matchlocks were large caliber in period. In researching for the 16th century petronel I am starting to build I found calibers ranging from .44 to the 70's, with most close to the .50 cal range. I have elected to build a .50 cal petronel.

I'd say that would be a bit small for some of the guns of the period though, but as a petronel is not shot off the shoulder I did not want a 16 guage :shocked2:

Traditions makes a plastic and stainless flintlock.

Probably the most out of place things I've seen on a gun since Obama went to the range at camp David.

I could see such an item as a survival gun but not something to show off. The plastic wouldn't be subject to many of the negative environmental variables that would harm a wood stock. But then why not just get a break down .22 back pack gun and a box of 500 LR bullets if you want a survival gun.

Cynthialee said:
That is to say matchlocks that are more modernized in stock dimensions, design and materials?

I may see your point.
I have been thinking about a modern looking gun with a matchlock or snapping matchlock just for
plinking around. Just for the fun of it.
Sometimes I just like to have / shoot something a little different than the rest of the world.

Let me know if you do something like that.

William Alexander

Tinker2 said:
Cynthialee said:

I may see your point.
I have been thinking about a modern looking gun with a matchlock or snapping matchlock just for
plinking around. Just for the fun of it.
Sometimes I just like to have / shoot something a little different than the rest of the world.

Let me know if you do something like that.

William Alexander
YES!!!

CL, if you want to try something completely different and still call it a matchlock try replacing the flint with a strike anywhere kitchen match. A buddy tried that and managed to get a shot or two off. That is about as modern a matchlock as I have ever heard of.

Many Klatch

I been thinking that a flintlock without a rock could be turned into a make it work matchlock easy enough. But I pictured a smoking punk in the jaws and opening the frizzen prior to shooting. Never thought of the strike any where matches. You'd have to figure out exactly how long the match needs to be to get reliable ignition. Certainly only an emergency hunting fix.

School of the ozarks in branson mo has gun with flintlock,percussion and matchlock,looks like the builder was playing.On some old guns matchlock was fit on some wheellocks as a fall back.For my self I like old guns,but you can have something sexxy and new looking.There are a lot of things I think are really cute but not in my taste.Wheelocks or arab /north aferican guns come to mind I wouldn't want one but wouldsure love to see one made and watch you shoot it :wink:

There is a site called adaptagun that sells modern matchlock conversion locks. For turkey and such, I'm not so sure the smoking match would repel them. I don't know really. One of the most interesting antique guns I have seen was a wheelock target rifle converted to matchlock retaining the lockplate etc. but with a hoop instead of an actual wheel. Here is the link for what it's worth... Link

Latest posts

Back