• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choice of metal for trigger and match-holder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janissary

32 Cal
Reaction score
I will make a replica matchlock and am wondering what type of iron or steel to use for the trigger and match-holder, pan and pan cover. I would like them to be easy to machine and have a reasonably authentic appearance. If it's corrosion resistant so I don't have to maintain it against rust, that would be a nice bonus, but authentic appearance is more important. Should it be shiny? Do we even know how shiny guns were in the old days?

Last edited:
Indeed an Ottoman matchlock 16th-17th century, however it's not easy to find specific information about their metallurgy so I will accept advice based on other guns of the early modern period.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...ce-on-reproducing-a-turkish-matchlock.148614/
You should probably post directly in the Ottoman thread asking about metal to use, where some of the guys (Rudyard, Rickystl) that are knowledgeable on the type are more likely to see it.

If you are still unsure on how the trigger works, the Indian gun thread has one out of the gun showing the system. They work the same.

Last edited:
Hi Janissary. And a late welcome to the Forum.

Unlike their European counterparts, what I call the "Eastern" market for short, left very little written information as to their hows and whys of their gun design and building techniques.
But to answer your question, as John mentions above, the operating/serpentine/trigger mechanism for the Ottoman style (and Arab) matchlocks operate (and even look like) the same as the India torador muskets. Apparently, this simple design traveled and was adopted across many regions of the Ottoman Empire. The lock assembly was likely made of malleable iron.
I did post some pics in the India Thread. Let me know if you would like an explanation of how this mechanism works. It's very simple.
001 (Medium).JPG
001 (Medium).JPG
017 (Medium).JPG
023 (Medium).JPG
022 (Medium).JPG

Rick

Sorry to disappoint yall but I've dropped this project and ordered a matchlock from Military Heritage. For all the apparent simplicity of the mechanism, the cost+time involved in reproducing a matchlock is much more than I'd originally envisioned. And I think it'd be better to have some shooting experience first.

Still might make an Ottoman gun one day in the vague future - perhaps a big trench gun, as one may as well go 'full bore'...

Thanks for the photos, Rick. Oh, the wonders your red tablecloth has seen! :cool:
LOL Thanks Bill. That's the dining room. There is a large window near the table. It just so happens to offer a good combination of natural and overhead artificial light that allows decent pictures. The best color backgrounds for photographing guns/weapons seems to be either red or royal blue.

Rick

Back