• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can’t find a rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this time, I do not have the time or interest in assembling a rifle from a kit. I have a DOD tactical background, and am a highly experienced long range precision shooter. I have the knowledge I’m sure, and I know it would be rewarding. Just quite simply don’t have the time….or choose not to make time.

I would like to purchase a “decent” quality rifle, to get my feet wet with a flintlock. I am slightly particular on the look I want and the rifle, and the Pedersoli Frontier Maple Deluxe nearly nails the look.
If I could buy a Kibler out right, ready to shoot, I’d consider going that route.
A handful of freshly built, barely fired Kibler rifles have been for sale over the past few weeks that I’m aware of.
I've got the Pedersoli Frontier in .50. Buy a Kibler. You be happier.
I’m far from an expert but as a Pedersoli Flintlock owner I would absolutely not buy another one unless I was looking for a fireplace mount. Never was able to get it to run good enough to feel comfortable hunting with it, which was why I bought it in the first place.

If I were you I’d buy a built Kibler off the forum here. Judging by their extremely well documented consistency, quality and performance you will be very pleased.

If you still want your specific rifle this would hold you over for your wait time and you can likely resell the Kibler later for about what you paid for it and recoup the cost.

Fair warning if you run a Kibler for your 15 month wait it’s likely to eviscerate any hope of being pleased with the function of your new Pedersoli.

If you are dead set on that style, and wanting a truly beautiful maple stock to go with it, and a gun that actually runs properly…fork out the money for a custom build, suck it up and deal with the wait time…and the cost, and get the reward of having zero compromises in your gun.

Also having to wait for a year or so in any case is small potatoes for a gun that can outlive all of us. 10, 15, 20 years down the road the wait for your build/purchase is going to be a joke.

One last note I remember seeing a video with tips about flintlocks, and the most important one they drove home was something along the lines of don’t buy a flintlock until you can afford one that is a custom (truly professionally) built one. Because the level of precision and tuning has to be immaculate for them to perform correctly.

Hey guys, I am brand new to traditional muzzle loading, and brand new to the forum.

I have been SCOURING the interweb, trying to find a Pedersoli (even a Taylor’s branded) Frontier Maple Deluxe .54 Flintlock.
Apparently this rifle is unobtainium! After deep digging, I got in touch with the Italian Firearms Group (IFG) who does the majority of Pedersoli’s importing. They told me I could order the rifle, but looking at 15+ months!

I know I could go custom, and have spoken to several fine gun makers, but as you all know, similar or longer lead times, and significantly more money.

I have found the Pedersoli rifle in .50 cal….but was REALLY wanting the .54, as I plan to hunt elk sized animals, including some exotics, and had hoped to play around with the challenge of long range flintlock target shooting.

Anyone have any leads on where I could POSSIBLY find the rifle?? A note* I have searched preowned classifieds nearly everywhere.
Was hoping one of you would know a dealer/gun shop that may have one on a shelf, somewhere in the free world.
Buy the .50, and use REAL or similar projectiles. Or, as someone else suggested, buy a 'kit' and build it to your liking. (I have built several guns from parts supplied by Pecatonica Rifle Works, and have never been disappointed).

I suggest looking into posts regarding sitting fox quality issues before buying one sight unseen.

I whish the OP was near me, I would help him assemble a Kibler. Based on the original purpose of the OP, a Kibler Woodsrunner 54 cal is hands down the best choice.

I also believe you can order the Woodsrunner without ar patchbox. If you have an experienced builder assemble it for you, have the builder add a brass patch box of a design you like.

Here's a picture from Jim's website of just that on a colonial...

40.jpg

I'd say purchase a kit and build your own. So many people go the "have someone else" build it, then they complain about the backlog. Building isn't that challenging. You can go at your own pace, and best of all, your gun is first in line.

I have 2 pedersoli flintlocks. There will not be a third. I swapped the lock on one to convert it to percussion. The other is either going to be sold or I'll end up buying a new vent & maybe a new lock to upgrade it. The ignition is simply too slow to really shoot well for a flincher like me.

Hey guys, I am brand new to traditional muzzle loading, and brand new to the forum.

I have been SCOURING the interweb, trying to find a Pedersoli (even a Taylor’s branded) Frontier Maple Deluxe .54 Flintlock.
Apparently this rifle is unobtainium! After deep digging, I got in touch with the Italian Firearms Group (IFG) who does the majority of Pedersoli’s importing. They told me I could order the rifle, but looking at 15+ months!

I know I could go custom, and have spoken to several fine gun makers, but as you all know, similar or longer lead times, and significantly more money.

I have found the Pedersoli rifle in .50 cal….but was REALLY wanting the .54, as I plan to hunt elk sized animals, including some exotics, and had hoped to play around with the challenge of long range flintlock target shooting.

Anyone have any leads on where I could POSSIBLY find the rifle?? A note* I have searched preowned classifieds nearly everywhere.
Was hoping one of you would know a dealer/gun shop that may have one on a shelf, somewhere in the free world.
Did ya hit Dixie..try that brother

I also believe you can order the Woodsrunner without ar patchbox. If you have an experienced builder assemble it for you, have the builder add a brass patch box of a design you like.
Ya, as far as the patch box goes, that's something you can DIY. Don't let it be your only go/no-go criterion.

I know a custom builder can do this easily….but the ones I have spoke with have the same or longer lead times as ordering a Ped, and a much higher price point.
I've got a Hopkins&Allen/Numrich Kentucky kit I built 40 years ago which has a Spanish patent breech barrel. Believe me, you don't want to go there. I keep it to fool around with but it's too frustrating to do any serious shooting. If I were you, I'd buy Mountain Smoke's .54 Colonial and start shooting it as an interim gun while you wait for your custom Kibler Woodsruner builder to find time for you. The price is right, and with your background, you should be able to build that gun's reputation at shoots and sell it at a profit when you need to make the final payment on your Woodsrunner. Whoever professionally assembles your Woodsrunner would, I'm sure, install a patch box for you. If you're serious about big game I would suggest specifying a faster twist barrel, as that seems to be best for heavy conical bullet stability. Y'all have fun now, hear?

I have several different T/C Hawkens and Renegades for sale. Most are 54 cal and all are caplock but they are really nice rifles. I haven't had time to list them yet. Let me know if you are interested and I will let you know more.

Gotcha! The overall weight in grains is similar in both instances... and I was just clarifying because a .50 cal can work in CO. Good luck with your hunt for both the gun and the elk!

Say there. Just had a thought. One stick to your guns on what you what, no pun intended. Two, don't know what your travel itinerary looks like but Friendship her in Indiana is coming up again in a few months. Very good chance you will be able to find what you are looking for there, might even be able to pick between candidates.

The quality of offshore made flintlocks is a manure shoot. The breaching systems are manure. For the money a Kibler Kit is absolutely a bargain. And the quality of the components is impressive. I’d never steer a beginner toward a offshore made gun. BJH
Whatever. There are plenty of fine import guns that don’t cost over a thousand. New people need a gun to get shooting and learn on. He already said he didn’t want a kit. Not everyone does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back