• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Pros and Cons. I have a TC Hawken and Renegade. Looking for something else. My cheek takes a beating evertime I shoot them.

I have a .54 Trade rifle and it gives me a bit of a whack on the cheek too. It shoots very good so I will put up with it, besides it only bothers me from a bench rest. I used to have a Deerstalker in .50 and it was a pleasure to shoot, fit more like a shot gun. Sorry I sold it.

You might want to consider the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Most guys who complain about their cheek taking a beating from the T/C Hawken find the GPR fits them better. Try to shoot one if possible, or at least shoulder one.

I have both a T/C Hawken and a Lyman GPR. My cheek does get a slight puffy from shooting the T/C. However I get nothing from shooting the GPR.Recently I have been shooting the GPR alot,rather than the T/C. Not so much for the bruising on the cheek, rather more the fact I simply like the way the GPR handles and shoots.

I think the Lyman Trade Rifle is the best bang for your buck out there and my .54 is a great shooter. However, the factory stock isn't really long enough for me so I am having a new, left hand stock made with the proper length of pull.

Memphis1211 said:
Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Pros and Cons. I have a TC Hawken and Renegade. Looking for something else. My cheek takes a beating evertime I shoot them.

Knowing that, I bet you won't find a lot of difference in shooting the Trade Rifle. I've shot them lots, but never bothered to buy one cuzz it whacks my prominent cheek bone just like my TCs. As some others have already pointed out, the Great Plains Rifle and even the Deerstalker is more likely to fit you. I've shot some really hurky loads out of both of those with nary a ruffle to my cheek, but the TCs and the Lyman Trade Rifle whack me real good even with moderate loads.

Latest posts

Back