• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Rifle not a review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyjk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just sharing my experience for the benefit of others that might find this information useful. This is not intended to infringe on the rights of the forum's premium members to review stuff.

Got my .54 GPR percussion model from an on-line dealer. (this is not a kit). Upon opening it I was a little disappointed with the wood to metal fit around the lock. Sure its supposed to be a replica of a primitve gun I realize that. Then I noticed the inletting around the tang was equally poor. Tried to assemble the barrel to stock and found the wedges could not be pressed in, tried a brass hammer, light tapping didnt work either. Visual inspection with a bright light proved the under barrel lugs were about a 1/8th inch too high and or the stock had warped enough to prevent the wedges from entering. (so much for any factory test fit).

A bit of file work later and she snapped together but only with a forceful hand squeezing of the wood forearm to the barrel. During all this process I noticed the stock's profile (shaping) in the butt stock area. It looks like a kid with a belt sander did the final shaping. Too thick in some places too thin in others and just wavy and uneven overall.

The inletting around the toe piece and butt plate were erratic as well. The pin that holds the nose cap on was sticking out almost a full 1/16th and had a sharp burr that caught my hand, easy enough fix by driving it on through part way and Dremeling off one end a bit. The inletting inside the lock and trigger assy area was rough and a bunch of loose wood splinters fell out when removed! Again some unskilled factory worker getting a little too agressive with the dull rotary file. Lots of fuzz and splinters suggest this one got made late on a Friday afternoon.

Ok, call me nit-picky but... the metal finish isn't all that good either, lots of tool marks still visible on the barrel flats that I think shouldnt be there after proper polishing, its obvious too these were done with the barrel moving in opposite directions giving a kind of striped contrasting flat to bright effect which looks more odd than anything and doesnt really show up in my lousy digital pics.

Mechanically the hammer is a loose, almost sloppy fit in the spindle, even tightened down fully (it was loose) its still sloppy. This lock uses a coil spring its kinda weak but seems to function Ok. When I removed the trigger assy the pin holding the front trigger just fell out. Its so loose you have to use care when reinstalling the assembly so it doesnt fall out.

So deciding most of this, at least most of the wood problem could be resolved, I went ahead and took her to the range. Ran a moist patch down, first came out black and grundgy. took three more to clean whatever was in ther out. First round @ 50yds w/factory adjustable rear sight was on the paper, in the 9 ring! 100grs FFg behind a swaged .530 ball and pre-wonderlubed .015 cotton patch (Ox Yoke brand)

Second round was a little low and hard to load, third round almost in the same hole so I adjusted the sight, back in the bull. Long story short I wound up cleaning after every third shot then every other shot, got all the adjustment I could out of the rear sight so I tried 110grs before I went to filing on the front. Made a significant difference this gun / ball combo really liked 110grs better, by the end of about 45-50 round session we had an inch and a half group all around the 10 ring consistently.

Had to clean the ignition orifice twice after a couple of hang fires which I attributed to the left over T/C powder solvent I used, I probably got the breech channel a little too wet. Tried .018 pillow ticking and it was way too tight. Balls were Speer, swaged as noted.

So this is just my experience performance wise not bad, appearance wise I have to say I am a bit disappointed, if I rework some of the poor workmanship out of the stock the exterior will never be more than about a 6 out of 10. Some places cant be fixed unless some wood was added back where there is too much relief. Around the tang for example its too high in front too low in back.

8gprlock.jpg

8gprtang.jpg

8gprstock.jpg

Anyway hope this helps anyone trying to decide if this ones right for you. Maybe I got an unrepresentative crude specimen, I recall looking at these before (years ago) and never noticed the poor workmanship. Dont think for this price you are getting a "fine arm" personally I think Interarms/Lyman's price point is a bit out of line on the GPR least the one I got.

I feel your pain..I kept reading about the GPR and its accuracy so.......I picked up one in flint and am currently re doing the Tallys mistakes..........First my tang was not inlet too high in the rear and too deep next to the breech causing the barrel to be too low at the breech. When you hooked the barrel in and dropped it into the stock the forend wood would be spring loaded when you put the wedges in. That is if you could get them in. Thought I was going to break the forend trying to put the wedges in.......Had to loosen the tang first.....

When the factory fitted the breechplug they ground the flats even with the barrel..........Ok except they didnt blend it in . yo couls see the sanding marks where it transitioned from the breechplug to the barrel.......

I didnt like all that writing all over the barrel so I defarbed all the writing and browned all the metal including the barrel......installed differnt sights and set the tang deeper and glass bedded the whole shebang from the first wedge back to the tang............I'll swear to God even before I started overhauling this piece of Tally junk it would shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards. So I"m eager to try it as soon as my deerslayer trigger comes in. Speaking of triggers..........Everyone knows how hard the set trigger is on these. So I got the bright Idea to polish all the surfaces and lighten the spring by backing off on the spring. Bad Idea........would kick the sear anymore. Not enough spring force..........So I decided to tighten the spring back down again where the factory had it........Still takes two sets and snaps of the trigger to fire it. Only thing I can figure is when I polished the part of the spring that bears against the kicker part of the trigger the polished surface robs the spring of power as its trying to snap up the kicker bar that trips the sear...............I monkeyed with it until I was blue in the face.................R.E Davis trigger on the way.

I had one of these from the early eighties in percussion and I remember it being of much better quailty..Only reason I buy these things is if its a good deal and I like to tinker.....................Bob

This was my impression when I got mine too. Mine also had a trigger that wouldn't work at all, and the way they package it my rear sight was smashed flat.

I even asked on here "is this a really good gun?"
I got so many positive answers that I decided I got a bad apple. I'm even deciding to get another one. Now with this thread i'm have second thoughts again.

I might consider a kit. I could then catch a lot of this myself. The problem is they don't offer a kit in a LH model.

I'm also considering the Crockett .32, but that gun also has positive and negative feedback from this forum.

Tough finding a decent gun without spending $2000 for it. Something i'd rather not do.

Yeah, my son-in-law had similar problems and had to do some "finishing work" on his piece as well. You'd think that they could do a lot better with their quality control but it seems that as long as we keep buying them "as is" they won't. He's happy with it now, but in my opinion things should be "right" right out of the box. :idunno:

My plan is to get a kit from a company that will hand-check the contents and make sure the parts all basically fit together.

Even the kits are reported to have QC issues, so having someone do a pre-check seems like a must..

I would encourage everyone having a problem with their GPR to contact Lyman and complain vociferously! I will be calling them, just based on what I am hearing on this forum. Hopefully they will care..

Whether you buy a factory complete gun or a kit gun from Lyman, you get a “kit” gun!
They can be made into a fine rifle but they don’t come that way. Go ahead and fix the issues and you’ll be happy with the end result. I just started on my third Lyman “kit” GPR and I am going to use an L&R lock and Davis trigger on this one from the get go. Maybe I’ll offer the stock ones for sale later.

I buy mine "in person" at a Lyman retailer, all polished-up and hand-fitted. Any sort of the problems noted here simply don't exist on my rifles :idunno: . All of the "mistakes" are taken care of by the retailer before I walk through the door to the shop! And for that pleasure I may cheerfully pay around $40 or less to do so.

Dave

You must have gotten a bad one. Mine came out of the box almost perfect; great inletting and metal work. The barrel pins had to be filed and fitted but that is fully covered in the manual and is so represented by the company.

I haven't had a problem with mine and just rave about it. It is amazingly accurate and trouble free. I couldn't recommend a better rifle for the money based upon my experience with the one I got. I just love it!

smokin .50 said:
I buy mine "in person" at a Lyman retailer, all polished-up and hand-fitted. Any sort of the problems noted here simply don't exist on my rifles :idunno: . All of the "mistakes" are taken care of by the retailer before I walk through the door to the shop! And for that pleasure I may cheerfully pay around $40 or less to do so.

Dave

In hindsight, yeah that would have been the much smarter thing to do. Had I known there would be such an abject lack of q.c. by Interarms on these.

In my experience (not limited to guns) some importers and distributers just dont care if xx% slips through with flaws. Maybe I will send Lyman a disgruntled customer email.

I can always wish that a small backwards little town like Dallas TX had a place where you could actually walk in and fondle one before buying!

My Pedersoli Frontier rifle I ordered at the same time came in flawless, in fact gorgeous! Of course it cost a a few bucks more and I aint touched one off from it yet but there is a stark contrast between the fit and finish on the Lyman as opposed to the Pedersoli.

Semisane said:
Excellent report Just J. :hatsoff:
Hey thanks, !

As to the rear set trigger being hard, I failed to mention that and quite honestly was a little surpised at this too. I figger I can back that spring off a little but man, that thing is a real finger bruiser, I estimate about 25-30 pound pull to set it!

For reference all my previous tradional bp rifles were Spanish, (CVA and Traditions) maybe my expectations of a $500 rifle are too high :(

Once you get squared away with your rifle, you may consider getting a Davis replacement trigger for your GPR.
Many of us here have them and it's well worth the 40 bucks. Quick and painless install. You may have to remove a slight amount of wood to fit.
Looky Here

I guess I was just lucky but the GPR I ordered from a shop in Montana (iirc) was in perfect shape when it arrived with no in letting or metal work issues at all. I remember being pleasantly surprised when I opened the box at just how purty she was. :)

Several years later,many balls down range and a couple of freezers full of venison and I still think it was one of the best buys I ever made. I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with yours Just J.

It's kind of sad that a rifle that retails for $745 has to have the whole trigger assemble replaced.

We shouldn't be so easy to accept that.

Yep, the simple fact is they just don't make them like they used to! So many factory guns have went (in my personal opinion ) down hill in detaied finish while the prices have went up! :hmm:

Capper said:
It's kind of sad that a rifle that retails for $745 has to have the whole trigger assemble replaced.

We shouldn't be so easy to accept that.

GPR's are priced at 745 bucks now!? :shocked2:

Just got started on a kit GPR and from the looks of yours I'm glad I have the opportunity to work on it some. My tang's the same, not much to do about that.

Hey guys, they call these kits for a reason. you have to do some work. they are not meant to be just screw together and slap on the varnish! With a kit you accept the position of quality control. If a part is bad you send it back. Generally with the minimal difference between a kit and the finished product, it is not worth your time to finnish it yourself. I spent almost as much time putting together my CVA mountain rifle kit as I did a parts built rifle with a precarve stock. of course it looks like it too :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back