• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not petroleum based stuff? Hope the reason isn't political correctness...
I only use battery or wind-powered lube. For the environment. I charge my battery lube by pedaling on a bicycle attached to a dynamo, and I power myself with free-range, non-gmo kale grown in a cage-free garden.

Generally it has been reported that petroleum products just don't mix well with BP when fired. It makes cleaning difficult and just doesn't do the job it is intended to do. There are others that will argue that point. I have never tried it myself. If you can find a bee keeper that will sell you unrefined bees wax, it is allot cheap and will work fine. Also the wax coating on cheese is bees wax. My wife loves cheese and she saves it for me.

you'll hear some yarn that petro based lubes create "tar" in your bore. Folks that think that really should look up the process to making tar :D :D They don't mind using that petro based Ballistol however... Go figure.

Its not political correctness, its the belief that the petroleum based products makes fouling worse and creates a hard, difficult to remove layer of fouling. I have used bee's wax and olive oil and I got the same crusty ring at the breech. The reason that traditional lubricants didn't include petroleum products was that they didn't have any petroleum products to use.

mineral oil.... A petro bi product.
All the older & wiser BP shooters have already known for decades that mineral oil and canning paraffin are the 2 exceptions to that 'no petrooleum' rule.

I use a 'dry patch' made by dipping patches in a 5 parts denatured alcohol to 1 part caster oil mix, then allowing the DA to evaporate out. The fine amount of castor oil distributed throughout the patch makes a clean and easy to use patch. It's an adaptation of Ditch schoulzs' dry patch recipe using Ballistol (mineral oil based).

BUT ... wanna see a crispy and really difficult to remove fouling residue? Just use straight castor oil.

Back