• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a Lancaster Rifle with components from Pecatonica Long Rifles. I'm using a percussion lock, but I'd like this to be as historically accurate as I can. My question is the shape of the tang. Does anyone have any historical information about Lancaster rifles from the period 1830-1850? In that period was the tang squared in a dovetail shape or was it rounded as the inletting the stock shown in the photo? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Lancaster Rifle Tang shape.jpg

Flared tangs like you presently have tend to be earlier. Golden age (1790 - 1810 more or less...) tangs often had scalloped tangs, looking a little like a tulip shape. Later were often straight sided with a rounded end.

But, there were always exceptions. Fainot, for example, was a Lancaster smith who made at least one rifle with a tang shape best described as oval.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be to remove the flare and round the end. That would be pretty common for the time period you are thinking about.

Flared tangs like you presently have tend to be earlier. Golden age (1790 - 1810 more or less...) tangs often had scalloped tangs, looking a little like a tulip shape. Later were often straight sided with a rounded end.

But, there were always exceptions. Fainot, for example, was a Lancaster smith who made at least one rifle with a tang shape best described as oval.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be to remove the flare and round the end. That would be pretty common for the time period you are thinking about.
Thanks for your comment. I think that's the way I'll go

Latest posts

Back