• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issac Haines build question - barrel/lock alignment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously I’m not going to change your mind. I don’t want an unclean able groove in my breech plug.
Don’t care if that works for you.
The old adage applies here.
My mind is made up, don’t confuse me with facts.
Change my mind for what? Did you not actually read my first post on this subject?

Historically they often enough grooved plugs and those arms functioned well. So its not wrong. “Do it right” does not apply, “Do it better” does.

Sorry Clark, I may have misinterpreted your response. (Damn interweb)
In turn, I believe I got my hackles up for no reason.
I had a couple of guns with the grooved breechplug, and they were very difficult to clean, and therefore I didn’t trust them.
I vowed never to be that kind of builder.
I apologize for stomping on you toes.

Here is what I found about notched breech plugs; they are like vent liners, when you force the water or cleaner out the vent with a patch (I use a quick stroke with my ramrod to build pressure) the liquid pressure washes the notch and the vent liner spotlessly. I have two guns with notched breech plugs, cleaning out the notch has never been a problem and I have pictures to prove it.

Large barrel just after cleaning, liner hole is drilled into the breech plug. The rifle is from the early 70s, the bore scope is a $9 one off eBay.

large barrel.JPG

Last edited:
Back