• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a throwing knife and tomahawk for rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
necchi said:
colorado clyde said:
buy 3 or 4 cheap hawks for the same money and cut down the number of trips walking back and forth to the block...This will maximize your throwing time and make you a better thrower.
Not Really.
Throwing multiple hawks at a block is a game locally called "Handles". And the bane of every parent!
The idea is to try to break the other kids handle, ...
I can throw 4 hawks and stick them next to each other in this target. What Am I doing wrong? :wink:

HawkTarget.jpg

Throwing multiple hawks at a block is a game locally called "Handles". And the bane of every parent!
The idea is to try to break the other kids handle, usually quit successful as every handle gets wacked up pretty good as well as hawk heads being chipped and gouged when they hit another hawk head instead of the handle.

Kids? Not just kids but otherwise normal looking adults do it. And, I hate it. :cursing: I have had many handles destroyed by jerks thinking it was funny.

CalGunner said:
Looking for a throwing knife and tomahawk for my first rendezvous.

My first question is how many knives and hawks do I need to compete? Would one each be acceptable?

I was thinking of starting with a Cold Steel Sure Balance Knife and one of the Colt Steel throwing hawks?

Any information would be appreciate -- I am a total newb in this area, but I love to compete at just about anything. Thanks.
I would look around where folks throw them away. :2
:wink:

Claude said:
I can throw 4 hawks and stick them next to each other in this target. What Am I doing wrong? :wink:
That brings up another game,
"In Between"
A game not for the novice or faint of heart.

I have during a practice session stuck my hawk then stuck my knife dead center in the hawk handle just under the head, of course no one was around to witness it so nobody believes me. :hmm: that was on my crazy crow set so I just chalked it up to character. the hawk handle is still quite serviceable and I use it frequently. now if and WHEN my krj hawk and beaver bill knife get dinged up I may not feel the same way.

RJLJML said:
of course no one was around to witness it so nobody believes me. :hmm:
:haha: :surrender:
That's the way of it!!
A good Buckskinner can knock the wings off a fly time and again during practice,, even with other skinners around.
Say the word "competition",, and they can't get it to stick in the block 2 times out of 3!!

Thanks for all the replies. I really enjoyed throwing this weekend -- it reminded me of pitching a baseball.

Because time was short I ordered a Cold Steel Sure Balance Knife and a SOG F01TN-CP Tactical Tomahawk. Both worked extremely well, although neither would be legal in a strict primitive environment.

If I keep at it I think I would add an H&B Shawnee Throwing Tomahawk and a throwing knife that's yet to be determined.

Thanks again.

Wow, there really is quite a difference in price between the H&B Forge Shawnee Hawk ($60.00/each + $19.22 UPS ground shipping) for a total cost of $79.22/each and a Cold Steel Frontier Hawk for total cost of $24.99/each.

Last edited by a moderator:
woodse guy said:
If you can find a older Cold Steel they will work. The older ones are forged and are made to throw. The new ones are very thin and not made for throwing very much. I have a old one made about 20 years ago my brother has one that was made about 8 years ago. I have a HB forge Franciscan that Jarrod made smaller so I could throw and be legal in competition. I would by one of the Shawnee hawks. They make great stuff and there is a reason that the wait is so long. To be honest I was starting to get a little upset with the amount of time that my order was taking. With in a couple more days I got my hawk. When I picked it up out of the box I knew the reason I had waited. They are some of the nicest people I have talked with on the phone. If you want a picture of the new Cold Steel next to a old one let me know.

So are the current ones per CS's advertisement.

nhmoose said:
CalGunner said:
Looking for a throwing knife and tomahawk for my first rendezvous.

My first question is how many knives and hawks do I need to compete? Would one each be acceptable?

I was thinking of starting with a Cold Steel Sure Balance Knife and one of the Cold Steel throwing hawks?

Any information would be appreciate -- I am a total newb in this area, but I love to compete at just about anything. Thanks.
I would look around where folks throw them away.

That was an attempt at levity?

Not really, a hawk or knife lost in the tall grass behind the block from an errant throw is a fairly common thing at many events

$80 bucks for a hawk. :shocked2: I cannot for the life of me imagine what an $80.00 hawk could do that a $18.00 hawk could not....except empty the wallet of its purchaser..... :shake:

I've had my cheapo for over 35 years.....throws like a champ and shaves hair....just bought another one for $18.00 took less than 5 minutes to make it hair raising sharp...

woodse guy said:
If you can find a older Cold Steel they will work. The older ones are forged and are made to throw. The new ones are very thin and not made for throwing very much. I have a old one made about 20 years ago my brother has one that was made about 8 years ago. I have a HB forge Franciscan that Jarrod made smaller so I could throw and be legal in competition. I would by one of the Shawnee hawks. They make great stuff and there is a reason that the wait is so long. To be honest I was starting to get a little upset with the amount of time that my order was taking. With in a couple more days I got my hawk. When I picked it up out of the box I knew the reason I had waited. They are some of the nicest people I have talked with on the phone. If you want a picture of the new Cold Steel next to a old one let me know.

If it's not too much trouble that would be very interesting to see. Thanks.

colorado clyde said:
$80 bucks for a hawk. :shocked2: I cannot for the life of me imagine what an $80.00 hawk could do that a $18.00 hawk could not....except empty the wallet of its purchaser..... :shake:

I've had my cheapo for over 35 years.....throws like a champ and shaves hair....just bought another one for $18.00 took less than 5 minutes to make it hair raising sharp...

I agree. Not yet mentioned is the value of attending ml shooting events and/or rondevous. There are always vendors and traders with a variety of goods offered. You can enjoy yourself, handle the items before plunking down money and save shipping.

Rifleman1776 said:
colorado clyde said:

I agree. Not yet mentioned is the value of attending ml shooting events and/or rondevous. There are always vendors and traders with a variety of goods offered. You can enjoy yourself, handle the items before plunking down money and save shipping.

Not always. Competitors always have a lot of equipment to check out though.

I suppose a "Macaroni" would have had an expensive, fancy and showy tomahawk to impress himself and others...but a common man,...a working man...a woodsman...or native, someone who actually used one.. :hmm: It would have been a utilitarian tool and devoid of any marketing hype...

For a bunch of dudes that make believe they're mountain men & long hunters, you're quick to abandon historical accuracy. No one was wandering the 18th century American frontier with an axe made on the Indian subcontinent, and certainly not with drop-forged Chinese axes. On the other hand, there were tons of guys walking around with hand forged American axes.

Back