• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife and Tomahawk Throwing.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the events I have always missed out on is throwing. Never really got into it. Well, I've decided to give it a try. I just cut down a huge white pine tree on my property and decided to take a slice and erect a target to practice on. What I need to know is, distance from the thrower to the target, what do I pin to the target and what are the best knives and hawks for the throwing event? I appreciate any tips. Semper Fi.
PS, I live in the Cook Forest/Cooksburg area, NW, Pa. If anyone is close enough and wants a slice, you are welcome to it. Next week I will cut up the remainder and burn it off.

To save target replacement I just spray paint an x on my practice block. I make my own throwing knives and use H& B hawks. The crazy crow hawk isn't bad for a stater. With a hawk start at seven paces and adjust from there. It is addictive so you may want to save an extra slab

To save target replacement I just spray paint an x on my practice block. I make my own throwing knives and use H& B hawks. The crazy crow hawk isn't bad for a stater. With a hawk start at seven paces and adjust from there. It is addictive so you may want to save an extra slab
What is the competition distance at the events, or does it very at each event? Thanks for the reply.

The events I attend usually have hawk walks and are at different distances..

Some however are stand where you want, but the one turn rule still applies..

The blocks below were you choose your distance, but still at least one turn.

Practice blocks…
C0CC448B-55C5-45A5-8A7F-15739BF12AE5.jpeg

Competition target blocks..

A5904145-84AC-426B-8B89-32086CDEC9A0.jpeg

D5FCE26C-38F4-4C95-A9CF-C14E449E530C.jpeg

BDB7482D-A3B5-4E8F-832D-F297C6625A22.jpeg

82B2A259-105E-4418-BC8B-22D0643C3162.jpeg

One throw at each target with both hawk & knife…
Target meaning playing card , red ribbon, skewer & rubber band..

Targets at this event must cut into…
Some places, only a stick is required too be counted..

Last edited:
Here’s a few pics from some woods walk hawk & knife trails..
5DEB17DD-1822-4AFB-BB1E-D3521FCD5642.jpeg

B35D4A16-504E-4EE4-A330-19033CE3FBAA.jpeg

F4506034-9155-43E2-AFD1-A82746087F5F.jpeg

2A0EB9D3-20CE-4442-ACD6-A8E34F8A4844.jpeg

F427F468-9EF3-44A8-9783-1ABF4719C5E8.jpeg

EC773241-05D6-4B97-8254-D435F0F3F29C.jpeg

Here the targets are at a set unknown distances & and are required at least one complete turn and stick into target for the point..👍

Some require the thrower too “toe the stake” while throwing..

This, I started with a Crazy Crow knife and Hawk (get an extra handle, or two) and recently sprang for an HB knife and hawk ($$$$$ but worth it). HB was 15 weeks from order to delivery so plan ahead. Had two pine stump butts given to me from a lot clearing project for the asking and made a stand out of pallet wood. I am at 6 paces and a foot for the knife and 7 paces and a foot for the hawk. Practice, practice, practice. What I like is like Archery, and unlike shooting guns, I can practice in the backyard at home. I just pick a spot on the block to stare at/aim for.

Back when the Townsend catalog was a two page flyer stapled into "Muzzleloader " magazine, I bought a Fuzz Fetterman hawk. It's still the hawk that will stick into most any wood. Between 5 and 7 paces from the block for one full turn. The arc of the blade should be about 4". The blade should be tempered to be tough. You need a tapered eye for the eventual replacement of the handle. Keep the edge sharp and practice. Practice is the secret to hawk and knife throwing.

Don't play handles.

Last edited:
Back when the Townsend catalog was a two page flyer stapled into "Muzzleloader " magazine, I bought a Fuzz Fetterman hawk. It's still the hawk that will stick into most any wood. Between 5 and 7 paces from the block for one full turn. The arc of the blade should be about 4". The blade should be tempered to be tough. You need a tapered eye for the eventual replacement of the handle. Keep the edge sharp and practice. Practice is the secret to hawk and knife throwing.

Don't play handles.

Don't play handles!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back