• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefty Jaeger Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As many of you know I'm wrong-handed, and throwing around some build ideas. I've always been really attracted to the Jaeger style rifles, but of course being a lefty, parts may be an issue. Here's where my thoughts are:

Barrel - no problem

Stock - Knob Mountain has a left pattern available

Lock - here's my problem. I've only seen "Jaeger" locks in right hand. So I could go with a standard large Siler, right? However, I've also seen Jaegers with almost a fowler looking lock, similar to a Queen Anne style or something. I have found a lefty Queen Anne style from L&R...would this be too ridiculous? What would be the best option? Whatcha think?

I think I would take a Chambers LH Gunmakers lock
& replicate a Jaeger lock before I would use a L&R.
But that is just me..... :idunno:
I have 3 LH Jaegers to build, I just don't have
time to work on anything right now..

Keith Lisle

So I looked on Jim Chambers' website and see the assembled lock with an oversized plate. All ya got to do is shape the plate...not too shabby. Would anyone happen to have a template for jaeger lock? Even just a simple paper template?

Go to Track of the Wolf's on-line PDF catalog. At 100% it is scaled to "lifesize".

copy the pic - photoshop it to it's reverse image (do the right-left flip thingy), print her out and "viola", you have your pattern.

Here's the link...

(try page 155)

PS - if you "glue stick" the paper cut out to a piece of box board (cereal box cardboard works excellent) you get a very durable "pattern"

It may take a lil more than just shaping a plate. Have not had time to really get into it. Too much work lately & no time to play.... :idunno:
And summer is usually my slow time when I can work on rifles :doh:

Keith Lisle

Graham, why didn't I think of that?! :idunno:

Keith, looking at chambers website there are two gun builders locks. One that is unassembled and one assembled. The assembled one is already hardened, tempered, and tuned - it just has an oversized, rectangle plate that you shape how you want.

I always buy the Assembled locks. They have a Lifetime Warranty,
even tho with Chambers locks you may never need it.
:idunno:

My plan was to lay a RH Jaeger lock over the LH plate & work it somewhat like that to get the shape.
However, as I said, have not had time to mess with it.

Keith

Agreed. I have refit more than a few locks to change their plate configuration. Many times a stock Chambers lock is closer to being correct, than you first thought. Some filing here and there, some tig welding and a little reshaping and you have it.

So I took the TOW catalog, cut out a template of a Jaeger lock, then cut out the Siler Builder's lock template, and placed them over each other...and it ain't gonna work.

Looks like I'll be setting this idea to the side for a bit.

So my next thought is a lefty folwer build. The LH Queen Anne works (yes, it's L&R, but I don't have a ton of options)...what ya'll think?

I think L&R gets an "undeserved" bad rap. I like L&R locks and have used them more than any other in my builds.

Some of that is due to the "style" matching the rifle I'm building, but I wouldn't change what I wanted to build just to use someone else's lock.

L&R is your best source for "options" when it comes to LH locks.

Jim Chambers has stated that he will not tool up for LH locks beyond what they already produce because the cost to do so outweighs demand. I imagine the sentiment at Davis is about the same.

So if the choice is an L&R lock or NO RIFLE, I don't see that choice being particularly difficult.

That's pretty much where I'm at with it. While, I do enjoy the lancaster's I'd like to branch out a little and give something else a try.

With the current LH lock selection the options seem to most styles of PA Area longrifles, southern mountain rifles, and some hawken and leman type rifles. I might be missing something, but what would you build next?

I'd also like to add that I have in NO way feel I've mastered the Lancaster styles or feel it's boring - just looking for a little change of scenery.

Stuart, Jim Chambers does have a lefty fowler lock, its his Virginia Colonial lock that he uses on his Pennsylvania Fowler. Just a thought.

I can think of a couple right off hand (or is it "left off hand" in this case?)- I "photo-shopped" them to make them Leftie's and included the L&R lock I would use with each.

First is a Maryland/Christian Hawken ca. 1780's style (contemporary build but bang on to an original).

CHawken-Maryland_zps50b75942.jpg

Second is a Virginia/John Sheetz ca. 1810 - so both Golden Age flintlocks.

JohnSheets_zpsd70ce17d.jpg

I have still never built a "Pennsylvania" rifle - will eventually get around to it but there is so much to build :grin:

I emailed him today and that PA fowler comes with a large Siler for the left hand version. Only the right hand version gets the colonial lock. He said I could order it without the lock and lock inlet though.

Graham, thanks for the ideas. I kinda like that Virginia idea.

James, I couldn't agree more with ya! My hopes were high when I first saw that kit.

A Virginia styled after either one of the Sheetz or Lauck boys is in my "near future" (just have two rifles to finish up first).

I am leaning towards a Sheetz since MBS has a few trigger guard options, butt plates and pre-cut patchboxes copied from original Sheetz rifles.

They did tend to be smaller calibers with between 38 and 45 being typical.

There is one well documented J.J. Sheetz rifle that was carried in the Battle of New Orleans that was a 1:36 twist 38 cal (Charlie Burton/FCI could build this barrel).

I'm building a Sam Hawken squirrel rifle with a 38 cal barrel or the JJ Sheetz/38 would be at the top of my list (don't want a pair of 38's).

Latest posts

Back