• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ky. opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Kentucky's squirrel season opened this morning, and I hunted for a few hours. Very nice morning, temperature 60F, wind light, clear sky. We had rain a couple of days ago, so the stalking was good. I used a rocky stream bed to sneak into a little grove of hickories I had in mind. I was standing and watching, when I became aware of the sound of falling cuttings, something I hadn't heard for a while. I watched for them and saw a few fall not 6 feet in front of me. I spent 20 minutes looking straight up trying to spot the squirrels, but never could until two of them left the trees, too far and fast for a shot. I moved on and few minutes later I had a young fox squirrel try to run over me. Popped him. The gun was my Jackie Brown flintlock smoothbore, 20 ga., 46" barrel, loaded with 70 grains FFg and 80 grains of #5 shot, using tow for wadding. It had been loaded on May 19, but fired instantly.

I had so much fun taking all my game last season using cedar bark wadding I decided to try hunting some with tow. This test was acceptable, the squirrel was near 25 yards and had 5 shot in him. My favorite way to pattern a shotgun.

Fox8-12E.jpg

Spence

Good Stuff Spence.
I'll be at my place in kentucky next weekend and will be there for a week. I hope to try and sneak away for a hunt but the list is kind of long.
KYcabin.jpg

Nice story and nice picture!

Congratulations :hatsoff:

Silex

Great way to start the year...I still have 9 days till our opener...have my eye on an area I was cutting firewood in, lots of bushytails around, can't wait...

Back