• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a piece of highly figured 10/4 cherry today. 10' long and no checking on the ends. $163. I bought it.
I would pay that much for half of it! wife glommed onto the last Cherry build so i need to build another for me. this gun building is a nasty addiction.

IMG_20240507_163648.jpg
IMG_20240507_163901.jpg

UPS showed up with a long tube from muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com.
42 inch swamped c weight .58 Colerain barrel .
started draw filing it, man does it need filing. have probably done a dozen Colerain barrels but this one is rough! took 1 hour to do one flat. with a brand new file. started on the second flat and ran out of steam.
chucked up a chunk of Birch in my drill press and turned a handle for a unbreakable range rod. got that turned and mounted. pinned it and poured a pewter finial to plug the through hole.
let the ups driver, who's father used to build Sharps before selling out to Shiloh, slober over the Colonial. ulterior motive. think i can hook him into muzzleloading.
have my next build laid out with most of the parts in hand. so......... back down the rabbit hole i go.

Wet molded a day shot pouch, made a new leather punch and put it into a black hawthorn handle. Cleaned up my custom Donaldson flinter for a range trip tomorrow. Have to burn some powder in it before taking it to South Dakota for a turkey hunt.

Drilled the touch hole in a NW gun I'm finishing up , test fired it few times , fired round ball few times to make sure it was shooting to center at 25 yds. , cleaned bore , polished bore , disassembled gun , browned barrel and trigger guard ... both parts soakin up oil now ...

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_122409.jpg
    IMG_20240507_122409.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Shooting season is coming up quickly so this morning I got out my DIY cap gear and made about 90 caps with some pre punched cups. Some copper and some aluminum.

When those were filled I punched out another 100 copper cups. Probably less than 100 after culls. I'll fill those tomorrow morning and punch out another 100 out of aluminum.

When it comes to using I kinda like the copper cups best but the copper is very tedious to punch. It tends to stick in the punch and and it's difficult to advance the strips.

Here's the aftermath of punching a hundred copper cups.

20240508_113636_copy_480x640.jpg

Went antiquing today with my Wife. Didn’t find much, but did pick up a good USA made mill file, a good ball peen hammer, both for $10. And a real pewter plate for casting nose caps and bolsters. It was 50% off of $4.95, so $2.43. The plate is kinda neat, might be a shame to melt it down.

Attachments

• IMG_3746.jpeg
    IMG_3746.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Went antiquing today with my Wife. Didn’t find much, but did pick up a good USA made mill file, a good ball peen hammer, both for $10. And a real pewter plate for casting nose caps and bolsters. It was 50% off of $4.95, so $2.43. The plate is kinda neat, might be a shame to melt it down.
About a year from now, you'll find out it was worth $500. Super rare and very valuable!

Maybe not, but that's what would happen to me if I had it and melted it down!

The real muzzleloading stuff you did was going antiquing with your wife. That's also known as money in the bank. Wise man!

The real muzzleloading stuff you did was going antiquing with your wife. That's also known as money in the bank. Wise man!
Agree, makes her happy. And I'm already thinking that if I can get that plate cleaned up it's going on the wall at the camp. A good excuse to go antiquing again to find another piece of pewter.

There would have been a decorative image, placed centrally, at one stage. $2.43 - you did good.

Cheers, Pete

AR.JPG

Back