• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Bought The Dutch Schoultz System

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dutch just want to thank you for the condensed file read it over alot is what i remembered and use but started using waterless cleaning tip it works great not a fan of wd 40 stillswab barrel w/barricade after cleaning i might try it but wd 40 ???? Thanks again for all your help Ken

I'm not particularly nuts about WD-40 but it is a water displacement oil and I am a bit nuts about keeping water out of the barrel.
I believe there must be some other effective penetrating oil that might do as well butt I don't know what that might be.

Someone once suggested Kroil but I never got around to trying before mother nature altered my vision.

Peace Dutch

In about a year I will probably have another original, which is almost "fresh from the bench" in its condition and I will see how this other wrought iron barrel behaves then.
I clean mostly with just moose milk and patches, but sometimes use the traditional soap and water method if I shot a lot. It is just much faster using water. Still, I never pull rust from this barrel...
In my modern steel barreled rifles, the moose milk patch method is fast and easy.

I had excellent results with moose milk when using it to swab between shots. Accuracy was there at 100 yards, my patches though had blow by from the .562" ball. I'd love to find some .022 - .024" patches to try.

Being pretty new to all this, I was looking at some patches and realised they were showing signs of blowby (I'm using .015 ticking - that's the thickest ticking I can find around here - in a .45 Kentucky. .445 ball). Anyhow, I had made some lubed felt wads - lubed with Gatafeo's #1 - for my 1858 Remington (when I get it), so thought I'd try them over the powder. Worked well, patches looked good and it seemed to make loading easier. I need to do more experimenting, however.

Stanley,
Look at the Tips on my web site for the
Fine Tuning Your Patch Thickness and run that experiment till you find by way of those shims what will give you a really good seal with no blow by.

Just a thought

Dutch

I just received my copy this afternoon. Read through it and I have some ideas about what I need to change. And an idea or two of my own as an extension of the work presented. Which will require some experimentation....
:grin:

I just ordered it myself. As an absolute beginner (I haven't yet fired my first shot) I think I will be starting on the right foot.

Back