• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathin Browning Mountain Rifle Variations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slumlord44

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a .45 Caliber one as new with the box on Gunbroker. It has the browned furniture. My understanding is that they were made in .45, .50, and .54 caliber with both browned and brass furniture. Any ideas as to which variations were more or less plentiful? I have been looking at these for years before finally breaking down and spending what it took to get a really nice one. From what I have seen the .50 caliber seems to be the most common. Not sure if the brass or browned ones are more common but the browned ones seem to be more in demand. Any experts out there got any ideas?

The 45's are relatively rare, and yes the browned steel versions are much preferred.
You do have one of the best samples of a late plains rifle, as the Hawken boys may have made.
But it does not attempt to copy any particular hawken rifle.
And the Browning rifle did not intend to do so.
You are very fortunate to have such a fine rifle!
All the best!
Fred

That confirms what I thought. I probably paid more than I should have but I have not yet regretted paying a premium for premium condition and the box helps. A .54 NIB browned recently sold for over $800 on Gunbroker so maybe I did not do too bad. I will be shooting this one at least occasionally. May deer hunt with it but I prefer a .50 or .54 for deer but at 50 to 75 yards it should suffice. Still in the market for a .54 browned. Same buyer had one that was slightly used without the box and it brought a little over $700.

For just shooting, brass or browned was possible a toss up. For hunting, I imagine the browned finish was more popular. Most all I've seen have been browned steel, so guess it was the more commonly made version. One of my old hunting pards had a .45 version that he used with great success. Believe his 50 grain FFFg whistled up over 1700 fps and 90 grains of of FFg broke the magic 2000 fps barrier and knocked Brazos river bottom white tails into delicious smothered venison with home made noodles! :wink: :haha:

I've not seen that many of those rifles but only one was brass. It was purchased in steel but the owner had purchased brass to replace the steel.

Always wanted one, but the price scared me off!

Back