• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If I may ask?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is your go to hunt'in patch lube to put meat on the table.....
I know most use spit for target but I'm talking a days hunting from sun-up to sun-down and may not get that shot until late in the day.
I'm still working on what for sure I'm going to use, but getting closer.

Thanks

Rebel said:
I'm going this direction also..
With that said all that the early pioneers had were fat drippings for patches and rifle care when they were alone in the mountains and plains for months. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ballistol treated patches, onna counta they don't freeze and they keep the barrel from rustin' till I can get it clean. Accurate too!

My personal choice for hunting is 25% beeswax mixed with 75% bear oil or deer tallow. If you don't have either then I'll go along with the Ballistol lube. One of the tricks IMO is to put a felt WonderWad down over tbe powder,then the PRB.

Next time you kill a deer save the fat and render it down then you'll have some excellent patch lube for a hunting situation. It's simple to render down,and was recently discussed on another thread.

I loaded 2 rifles in the morning,1 with olive oil patch lube,and 2nd rifle with a lard beeswax mix lube.Took them out that evening and both shot fine.

T/C's .015 pre lubed Natural Lube 1000....haven't let me down yet...........bob

Catman,
I have been using olive oil for everything...and mixing it with everything....
...from bees wax to murphys oil soap and combo's there of! good success!

I really like straight castor oil also, but have really only been using that for a final wipe after cleaning 'cause its so dang spendy.

no rust or issues with any of 'em.

your milage may vary....

Brett

Sperm Whale oil (I have a large gallon jug that I've been trying to use up since the early '70's). I have been hunting at -20 and not had any troubles with it. I will also use rendered bear oil/ beeswax, if I'm at a PC event.
TDW

All my hunting patches for cold weather are lubed with 100% Mink Oil from Track of the Wolf. This stuff is NOT boot dressing. There are no additives to Track's product.
It's real simple, real easy to get, and cheap. One tin lasts a long time.
For warmer weather usually Wonder Lube. It doesn't really matter as long its not water or spit.

Back