• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How tight do I need it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope thats what you ment Mike.The barrle is sloted for the lugs.But it has pins and not keys.Sorry if I got what you ment wrong.

The pin holes in the barrel lugs need to be sloted. This will allow the barrel to expand as it gets hot and not bind on the pins.

and was I useing to much powder. I was useing 80 fff. I see alot of good groups from others useing 60-65 grains of ff.

For most guns, lengthening the pin holes in the lugs so that they are 1/2 the pin diameter longer both front, and back, is enough for expansion. Don't deepen the holes in the lug, as that introduces slop into the barrel/mortise fit. Just widen the holes to allow the wood to expand and contract as needed. ( In cold, dry weather, wood tends to contract- in warm, humid conditions it tends to expand.) :thumbsup:

So what do you all think? should I go with 60ff and go up with that or go down with the fff.

Matt,

To patch or not to patch.

As you have discovered, how tight to patch a round ball depends on what you want to do.

Hunting accuracy is not the same as target accuracy, because it does not need to be.

To kill a ground hog at 50 yards every time takes a bit of work with your gun. To hit him in the head every time, takes a lot more work tweeking out the last bit of accuracy plus you have to be a good shooter.

Most people settle for the level of accuracy that gets the job done without excessive twiddling.

And me, I use a snug thumb pressed patch ball, that can be seated without a short starter,on top of 70 grains of 2F.

Heck no. I would need my rifle from a rest. :grin:

My off hand group at 25 yards is about 3 ½” and that is an honest to goodness measure; not the “I have a 1 ½” group except for this flyer” etc.

There are people who can do a lot better. But I am happy if I can hit a clay bird at 25 yrds every time. That is flint, front sight only, no set trigger.

I am still working on 50 yards but do not think it is the gun that is at fault. :wink:

The fellow I watch at the Nationals was punching a jagged hole at 25 yards but his loading method and shooting technique was almost a religious experience. He was super consistent in everything he did.

:thumbsup: And they say ya can't teach an old dog new tricks.Well this ole dog just learned a few.Thanks guys.Griz

I really think that 4" groups at 75 yds is askin g a bit much with any smoothbore even a smoothrifle with rear sights this is more like rifled barrel performance excpectations, I used 80-90 gr 3f in my smoothrifle .62 with a snug patch and got maybe 8'+ groups off a good rest at 75 yds but my eyes were not in their prime anymore, it just seems like a tall order to me for that type of gun, many average shooters shoot that group with rifles, good luck however, I hope it works out for you.

I'll just try to get the 4" group at 50 yadrs.I am new to the smooth barrle.If it ends up being a 50 yard gun then I'll keep my shoots at 50 and under.I'll be happy with that.I just diddn't know how or what to expect.Thank you

are you going to shoot it off a bench or a field position? sitting,kneeling,tree rest,x-sticks? some who have posted don't make this clear.
I always remember being told that shooting bench gets mighty heavy out in the woods.
just thought point needed to be made.....
Ironjaw

I think you will be much happier with the results and limit of 50 yds it can still be a deer gun at 75 yds, by all means try and wring all you can out of it and keep us posted, many Pooh-pooh smoothbores as viable hunting guns so the more people we have using them and sharing the results the better for all, good luck and enjoy the journey

I shot it today.I did alot better.First off the bench till I got a good group.I ended up useing 60gr 3fff over powder card .585 ball .020 patch.I had a 4"group at 40 yards.I tryed 2ff my gun don't like it.I then was shooting it off hand and got the same group.It groups about 3" left one inch high.I'm going to leave it there for awhile to make sure.I shot it about 30 times.I might shot again tomorw.Thanks all for the help I'm, getting there.

Back