• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much does a grain of powder weigh?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High Power is an NRA defined game shot from military shooting positions with military rifles shooting full power loads. The matches at our club are limited to rifles with open sights only and with firearms 30 years old or older. Distance is 200 yards.
Bench Rest is normally shot from a bench off bags or very expensive rests. The calibers are custom with very small cases shooting very light loads, most I see are 6mm to 30 caliber. Example is a 30BR or a 6mm BR cartridge with a velocity of 1100-1300 FPS. They are VERY accurate. On the score target, there are usually dozens of "X" targets, and the sheet looks like it is about 11" X 17". Distance is 50 or 100 meters.

For another difference, BR shooters only use a few cases they reload on the range. Say a dozen or so, cases they have carefully tested for uniformity. They are neck sized only. I wouldn't say they use light loads, they use loads that have proven accurate, which generally means 3/4 (at least) of the case capacity.

HP shooters go through a lot of cases which are reloaded at home.

Two completely different disciplines. No comparison.

Hi Everyone,

Doing everything the same is important to all precision shooting.
I have a friend who says bench shooting is easy, just do the exact same thing every time and you will be good, he is!

I can't remember why I am there most of the time!

Michael

michael

the club I belong to has 2 high power matches a year. One in the Spring, and one in the fall. I compete in both with a 100 year old Swiss. Won my class this spring!

The high power and bench rest competition being discussed sounds like center fire cartridge firearms are being used.

Hopefully Gene L and Griz44Mag will tell us if that is what they are talking about?

So related to the OP, how many granules of powder would be in a grain of the same?

The number of granules in a grain of black powder would depend on how finely the powder was ground.

When figuring the volume of powder that's in one cubic inch I usually use the value of, 239 grains weight per cubic inch.

If that's a true value then one grain would occupy a volume of .00418 cubic inches.
That would be a cube measuring .1611 wide X .1611 deep X .1611 tall.

2F granules should range about .59 to 1.19 mm in size. Converting that to inches equals .023-.047 for an average of .035".

.035 goes into .1611 about 4.6 times so if we figure the powder might be a little smaller than average we could say we can get 5 granules of powder into the width, depth and height of the .1611 cube or box.

That gives a value of the number of granules as 5 X 5 X 5 = 125 per grain weight of black powder.

(As you can tell, I don't have much to do today. :rotf: )

Back