• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How hard is it to make caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was staying away and not looking at percussion guns because caps are non existent or cost an arm and a leg, but I just now found out about the kit you can get for making caps, but I couldn't find any in depth details on how it works nor how reliable said caps are or what is used to keep the prime all compound in, if the caps made are decent I'll order a percussion gun right now along with the kit, I also have a 3d printer so I'm sure I could design something that would greatly speed up the process of making them

It’s a simple process. There are several discussions about it on the forum. But like anything else there’s a learning curve. I am very pleased with the caps I make. I use the 22 reloader kit. I enjoy the process because I like self reliance, and it keeps me shooting. I use them on revlover and rifle.

It’s a simple process. There are several discussions about it on the forum. But like anything else there’s a learning curve. I am very pleased with the caps I make. I use the 22 reloader kit. I enjoy the process because I like self reliance, and it keeps me shooting. I use them on revlover and rifle.
That's the same kit I was looking at. How's the ignition with it and the prime all compound?

watch some youtube videos
Couldn't find any videos of people shooting using homemade caps, but I'm watching a video on making them now, doesn't seem to hard, just a little time consuming and obviously dangerous but I do homemade BP so i already know the rules of safety needed to keep my fingers intact

That's the same kit I was looking at. How's the ignition with it and the prime all compound?
Ignition is great, I think they are hotter than cci caps. If your making your own powder, caps are definitely in your wheelhouse.

Ignition is great, I think they are hotter than cci caps. If your making your own powder, caps are definitely in your wheelhouse.
Do you have your own special recipe? I see some people use acetone, some hair spray, some use superglue do you have experience about which is best for keeping the powder in the cap?

Do you have your own special recipe? I see some people use acetone, some hair spray, some use superglue do you have experience about which is best for keeping the powder in the cap?
I follow the directions they give for the components they send in the kit, and it works for me. I’m no chemist so I don’t deviate. Up until now I’ve been using acetone, I tried hair spray but I didn’t have much luck. They aren’t easy to transport. I just received an order of duco cement, it’s some kinda super glue I guess. I’m gonna try that mixed with acetone. I read about that here on the forum. I use empty large pistol primer trays as loading blocks and storage for the homemade primers.

I follow the directions they give for the components they send in the kit, and it works for me. I’m no chemist so I don’t deviate. Up until now I’ve been using acetone, I tried hair spray but I didn’t have much luck. They aren’t easy to transport. I just received an order of duco cement, it’s some kinda super glue I guess. I’m gonna try that mixed with acetone. I read about that here on the forum. I use empty large pistol primer trays as loading blocks and storage for the homemade primers.
So there kinda brittle when finished? If so I could 3dp a primer sleeve for em and transport that way, since I have to drive out a pretty rough atv trail to get to my shooting spot on public land. Let me know how the duco cement turns out

So there kinda brittle when finished? If so I could 3dp a primer sleeve for em and transport that way, since I have to drive out a pretty rough atv trail to get to my shooting spot on public land. Let me know how the duco cement turns out
I guess brittle would describe them, the compound will easily fall out of the cup if bounced around or upside down. Seems like many of the fellas here have this figured out. I’ll get there!

,but I just now found out about the kit you can get for making caps, but I couldn't find any in depth details on how it works nor how reliable said caps are
lol,, you found the right place too look/read.
the answers can be found here, there isn't a blanket, but it can be read. in detail, if you look.
You'll find no better source, but you have too look. not tying to be rude, it's just that the details of the encyclopedia are only available when the encyclopedia is read.
(period), ☮️

Forgive me if this is just a little off the subject. But, speaking of the present cost of percussion caps, I have two tins of Remington #10 caps from the 80's which I received in a trade with a friend. Neither opened until I tried some, and, they are still potent. Cost in the 80's.....$1.49 per tin of 100....cost locally at present......$10.00 per tin.

I have made them using the 22 reloader kit also. I use 0.005" copper foil or double thickness aluminum drink cans for the cups. Adding the compound to each cap is a bit tedious but using primer trays to hold them works best for me. I also use Duco in mine and have no issues with the compound falling out since I started using it. Search YouTube for homemade percussion caps and you will find quite a few videos showing different processes.

I can say it's dirty, for sure. But, once you get you process down, you can produce around 100 caps in an hour with a 95-100% fire rate. I haven't had one fail in over a year.

Also, there is little difference in the #11 and #10 kits. Both are interchangeable with my guns. So I would recommend ordering the #11 kit. Then, if you need #10s, just tap them through a drilled piece of steel or aluminum to size them down a touch for a pistol.

lol,, you found the right place too look/read.
the answers can be found here, there isn't a blanket, but it can be read. in detail, if you look.
You'll find no better source, but you have too look. not tying to be rude, it's just that the details of the encyclopedia are only available when the encyclopedia is read.
(period), ☮️
On that note, here is a tip...

A lot of times I can't find what I'm looking for by using the search function. So, I go to Google and type in the search. Usually toward the top of the results list you will find this forum with the discussions listed below it!

I've used the .22reoloader kit to knock out a few hundred of the hulls using soda cans. It is pretty quick work. I have not tried using their powder mix to finish them though.

Get onto YouTube and enter 'making percussion caps', that ought to open up a whole possibility of videos to watch. I spent all afternoon watching them couple of days ago.

I use a fired and cleaned out small rifle primer to measure the charges and the duco acetone mix to fix the charge in place. Using this formula my caps are noticeably hotter than rem or cci. In fact I think that for those who wish to use 777 these are a much better ignition option.

The pop can really needs to be doubled over. Its very appealing to the frugality bone but somewhat of a PITA. I ordered a sheet of .05 alluminum and copper fro Amazon and definitely prefer both over pop cans although the copper is a little slower to work with.

one misfire out of several hundred used. That was in the first batch using only acetone to set the compound. The compound had fallen out.
I can say it's dirty, for sure. But, once you get you process down, you can produce around 100 caps in an hour with a 95-100% fire rate. I haven't had one fail in over a year.

Also, there is little difference in the #11 and #10 kits. Both are interchangeable with my guns. So I would recommend ordering the #11 kit. Then, if you need #10s, just tap them through a drilled piece of steel or aluminum to size them down a touch for a pistol.
That's a great idea for sizing down to #10. Gonna try that :thumb:

CATBOY, I have been making caps with the kit for 2 years and shot 8 lbs of blk powder. During that time I have had 3 that have miss fired, and that was first batch poor mixing on me. I started as follows: I use my bench drill press as a press to press the cap stopped all the banging with a hammer. Doubled soda cans work but I don’t drink beer alot or soda so I went to alum roof flashing. I suffered quite a few failures cause the flashing is tough as nails, but slightly rubbing bees wax on the upper side lubed it enough to press on to form the cap. Other lubes made a sticky mess on the caps! Now formed, I soldered a spent pistol primer to a length of copper wire this is filled level to fill the cap. To hold the caps I drilled an old paint stir stick with a #2 drill ( or anything close) to fit 25 caps just slowly twist the filler spoon to fill the cap. The kit says to wet the powder then press the mix in the cap.
I found it to squeeze out around the pusher stick, so GENTLY… you are working with a concussive sensitive mix.. press the dry powder in the cap I have a mix of white rain hair spray and acetone 50/50 One drop to each with an eye dropper. The hair spray comes in a plastic spritzer bottle other sprays go all over everything. Let dry over night shoot next day they are more energetic than factory and corrosive clean the gun ASAP. NO FALLOUTS NO DROPPING OUT of powder I drive 20 miles to the range. MIX AS THEY TELL YOU! WARE EYE PROTECTION FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. You will do ok enjoy!
sorry this was long winded. Coupe

Last edited:
CATBOY, I have been making caps with the kit for 2 years and shot 8 lbs of blk powder. During that time I have had 3 that have miss fired, and that was first batch poor mixing on me. I started as follows: I use my bench drill press as a press to press the cap stopped all the banging with a hammer. Doubled soda cans work but I don’t drink beer alot or soda so I went to alum roof flashing. I suffered quite a few failures cause the flashing is tough as nails, but slightly rubbing bees wax on the upper side lubed it enough to press on to form the cap. Other lubes made a sticky mess on the caps! Now formed, I soldered a spent pistol primer to a length of copper wire this is filled level to fill the cap. To hold the caps I drilled an old paint stir stick with a #2 drill ( or anything close) to fit 25 caps just slowly twist the filler spoon to fill the cap. The kit says to wet the powder then press the mix in the cap.
I found it to squeeze out around the pusher stick, so GENTLY… you are working with a concussive sensitive mix.. press the dry powder in the cap I have a mix of white rain hair spray and acetone 50/50 One drop to each with an eye dropper. The hair spray comes in a plastic spritzer bottle other sprays go all over everything. Let dry over night shoot next day they are more energetic than factory and corrosive clean the gun ASAP. NO FALLOUTS NO DROPPING OUT of powder I drive 20 miles to the range. MIX AS THEY TELL YOU! WARE EYE PROTECTION FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. You will do ok enjoy!
sorry this was long winded. Coupe
I do the same compressing the dry compound. I just use a drop of alcohol after and it sets fine. Still shooting caps I made last fall, and I've hauled them back and forth to my range and out to my brothers lots of times. I would recommend wearing a thin leather glove while compressing tho. If done correctly it shouldn't fire. But just in the slim chance...
These things are potent!

Latest posts

Back