• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you Carry Lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could tell you what to do and what to use....
but, instead I'll just say find the products you like and a container you like and use that... :v

When I'm at home I can use modern cleaning methods and fancy aerosol sprays.

But, in the field I rely on knowledge, critical thinking and problem solving skills to make due without modern amenities.
That's where most of the fun and good memories are at.

In so far as something to carry it in goes, breakfast at Cracker Barrel, get a waffle and they'll give you a couple of neat little brown bottles with syrup in them. You can even cut the threaded part off if the plastic cap isn't HC enough for you.

I ate at cracker barrel once....It was awful..Like eating M.R.E.s.... :hmm: (maybe that's who makes them)
If I had to eat food like that every day, I would move farther north..... :wink:

But, in the field I rely on knowledge, critical thinking and problem solving skills to make due without modern amenities.

Yep, experience counts.

Smokey Plainsman said:
Wow how clever.

I've noticed responses like this growing in number on this board, ones that serve not to help.

Actually, I think he meant that he used spit to lube his patches. :hmm:

Richard Eames said:

Yep, experience counts.

You left out the best part of my quote...

Colorado Clyde said:
That's where most of the fun and good memories are at.

In my area there are a lot of antique/consignment shops. I’ve found some old small glass bottles that must have come from farm homes or drug stores. No threads on the necks and some with cork stoppers and different colored glass. They are hand made not mass produced. Most can be had dirt cheap a buck or two and have many uses. Art

I have an old brown Lestoil bottle with a wide mouth. No stopper, so I need a cork. I use the 7 parts water to one part water soluble oil. The wide mouth is just the right size to dampen the patch for my ball. Wiping the damp patch across the bottle mouth wrings the excess lube from the patch. Works fine for lubricating my 0.017" drill cloth patch for each shot.

Art Peltier said:
They are hand made not mass produced. Most can be had dirt cheap a buck or two and have many uses.
Many of the bottles one finds in antique stores ARE mass-produced but also made by "hand". If you look carefully, you will usually find mold lines where the bottles were blown into a mold.

Black Hand said:
Art Peltier said:
They are hand made not mass produced. Most can be had dirt cheap a buck or two and have many uses.
Many of the bottles one finds in antique stores ARE mass-produced but also made by "hand". If you look carefully, you will usually find mold lines where the bottles were blown into a mold.

Molded hand blown bottles can date back as far as 1800.
If one is concerned with the authenticity of their bottle they can "skin" it with leather to hide its features and protect it from damage, as was done historically .

For years I have recommended Chapstick or Burts Bees lip balm. You can carry it in your pocket. It won't leak. And you can only apply it to one side if you wish. I have used it on blued rifles with my paper patch bullets and it works great.

I'll fill empty anti perspirant or under arm deodorant containers with my mix of olive oil and bee's wax. Empty Altoids tins or similar small tins work well for wiping patches when filled with a waxy lubricant.

Altoids mini tin.....Burn the paint off and dome the lid by peening on a block of wood....looks more PC and the domed lid allows room for some patches.

My home is a 100year old home that was a farm. In tearing down an old building used as a chicken and animal shed I located a few of the bottles there. When they also put sewers in and tore up the street quite a few bottles were located. Those bottles were old for sure!

Latest posts

Back