• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you Carry Lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP was asking about a container for oil to be used as lube and rust protection. I don't think spit works well for either use in the field.

I certainly wouldn't want to leave a spit patched ball in my barrels for any length of time.

I use eye drop bottles for Balistol and oils in my hunting bag. I'd rather find a more "old time" looking bottle also.

Personally I do not use liquid lubes. Mine is a beeswax/oil (currently whale or peanut) in a semi-soft/hard cake. I pre-lube my patches for all my shooting and cut at the muzzle. A hunk of that will be good for the other uses you mention. To answer your question more directly, I would advise not carrying a liquid while in the field. One day you will have a real mess. :doh:

Mink oil is my lube of choice in the bush. It's a cake - similar in consistency to lard - and you can leave a prb in the bore for months using mink oil. I use various little "tins" to carry it in - percussion cap tins are near perfect. If I ever use a liquid it's Hoppes #9 BP lube and the patches are carried in a tin and already lubed with it. Carry liquids in the bush? No way.

Smokey Plainsman said:
I'd like to make pre cuts from #40 drill and mink's oil, I hear much about it.

If you do then all you need is a Metal tin.
I carry my precut patches in my lube tin...The lid is hinged so when I open it I can place the unlubed patches in the lid and lube one with my thumb.
I never pre-lube patches unless I plan on shooting them.
I also have a gun with a grease hole in the stock. which works well for me....but some folks have yet to master using a grease hole.... :wink:

My favorite lube is a mix of olive oil and beeswax.it seems to work for everything...patch lube, bullet lube, lock and barrel lube, hand lotion, lip balm, tool lube, emergency candle, You could even cook with it (though I haven't). It is also cheap and I always have the supplies on hand.

P.s. I'll tell you a secret...my favorite lube tin is an old mint tin from Cracker Barrel.

Yeah, I was talking about spit patches, that's all I've used for years and it's never failed me....

Ranger1759 said:
Yeah, I was talking about spit patches, that's all I've used for years and it's never failed me....
Saliva works OK for target shooting, but is a terrible idea for hunting...

Spit was my preferred lube for about 30 years...Never failed me either :thumbsup:

I still use spit, but now I also use lube because I leave the gun loaded a lot. One big reason I like using a mix of beeswax and olive oil is that it's easy to wipe off your fingers. Some lubes and oils are just about impossible to remove without washing your hands....I hate oily or greasy hands and fingers.... :td:

Thanks for posting that link. Of course I never knew that I needed one until I saw it.

Silky921 said:
Thanks for posting that link. Of course I never knew that I needed one until I saw it.
:metoo: Yeah when I first saw it I thought it looked old timey enough and it was nice and slim. I've had mine for over 20 years with no leakage. I made a pocket for it in my possibles pouch so it's easy to get to.

okawbow said:
The OP was asking about a container for oil to be used as lube and rust protection. I don't think spit works well for either use in the field.

I certainly wouldn't want to leave a spit patched ball in my barrels for any length of time.

I use eye drop bottles for Balistol and oils in my hunting bag. I'd rather find a more "old time" looking bottle also.
From the op's first sentence "for freshening up patches"

I believe if you google MG 34 oiler you will find that that's exactly what that is and not Civil War at all though it is a handy and easy to find oiler. There are a number of variations of that oiler depending on the manufacturer and country of origin as many countries used the MG 34 & MG 42 post war and copied the German oiler. There is an identical one on eBay right now.

Black Hand said:
Saliva works OK for target shooting, but is a terrible idea for hunting...
That depends on the type of hunting you are doing....I've used it for decades squirrel and rabbit hunting with head splashing success....
I've also used it on deer drives, and for quick reloads....But, the gun was always emptied at the end of the day or session.

okawbow said:

How long is a "length of time"?

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about spit by those who don't use it.... :hmm:

How long is a "length of time"?

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about spit by those who don't use it.... :hmm: [/quote]

I've always used a spit patch for target shooting.

I've also had to pull a spit patched ball that was left in the barrel overnight after a "dry ball". It was covered with flaky rust when pulled out.

If it got that bad in just 12 hours, it probably started rusting right after being loaded.

:hmm: ...Never had one that bad.....But I don't leave it sit over night...
I'm always fascinated by the wide variance of experiences people have with rusting....

Once my patches are lubed w/ Oxyoke 1000 Plus, there's no reason to relube.....even after sitting in an aluminum wrap for years.......Fred

Back