• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Patch Lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 'orange' go-jo has the pumice grit in it - the 'white tub' does not.
'goop' hand cleaner comes in a tube and has an orange scent but is white and has no grit in it.
I never thought of useing the type with the grit for scrubbing a rusted or very crudded up bore - have to keep that in mind.
I've also used Permatex white, that may be the one with lanolin in it. it comes in a quart tub.
anyway it works for me and does'nt freeze up in cold weather. it does have alky in it.

If anybody wondered.

Ballistol is made from medical grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and oil from vegetable seeds. The smell comes from medicinal Anethole oil, which is derived from the Anise plant. Ballistol is biodegradable and non-toxic.

i make a patch lube from 1 part bee's wax, 1 part olive oil, and 1 part manteca lard. all of this is by weight ( i.e. 15 grams of each for example)

and if youre still trying to get rid of some of that bee's wax, let me know :wink:

i always figured your lube would contaminate the powder to, i thought that was most of the reason we used overpowder wads with conicals seeing as you seem to get the best fouling reduction by lubing the base of the bullet. soooo i tryed putting a couple of grains of cornmeal on top of the powder but this was to time consuming for me. my grandpa said some guy told him he used nest material from wasps or bees. i tryed that under my patches and while i cant really see any accuraccy changes i never see any burnt patches either which cant be bad. so i always have a ziplock bag full i carry now and use with the conicals as well

As a general reply-query, a friend has bought a C. Sharps Hepburn rifle. To maintain it, he has a wax called Renaissance Wax. From his conversations with BPCR competitors and blurb that was included with the can of wax, the stuff may be useful as patch lube, especially for leaving rifle loaded long-term. It apparently has none of the generally acknowledged harmful ingredients or ingredients that decompose over time.

I'm not certain how useful this information might be. I do not know the cost for the wax, but I suspect it's expensive, or how much need be used for it to function as/in a patch lube.

Nevertheless, I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back