• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade caps and Accuracy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven’t tried any of my caps yet from the sharpshooter mixture stuff. Idea is to use them in my bench rest rifle which shoots pretty good groups with Olympic sights and one of them not talked about actions. Got to pondering about how accuracy may be affected since the caps are so hard to get a consistent fill. I know actual testing will tell but fishing for thoughts.

I would expect some variance due to the lack of consistency in hand-made caps. Despite being very careful and meticulous in all my reloading, I have "heard" differences in the power of some of my home-made caps. I haven't verified that on the bench as yet. Sounds like a good project for a sunny day at the range.

ADK Bigfoot

I have tested the 22Reoader DIY caps extensively. I have my own binder now which demonstrates 100% reliability in rough handling and firing. I have found zero difference, that is 0 difference in CCI #11, #10, Rem #11, #10, RWS 1075 and 1075 magnums, and 22Reloader #11, or #10 (ASSUMING THE CAP FITS THE NIPPLE !!!!) in terms of accuracy. Period. End. Of. Story. I need 4-5" 5 shot groups CTC or less at 100 yards for my caplock hunting rifles, and 1 or 2 inches 5 shot groups CTC at 50 yards for my woodwalk caplock rifles off a bench to be effective and ethical (if hunting). 0 difference in accuracy between caps. Yes ZERO.

edit- and yes MY caps are hotter and MUCH louder than commercial CCI or Rem caps, but yet no difference in accuracy.

I have my own binder now which demonstrates 100% reliability in rough handling and firing.
I'd like to see your binder recipe. Mine are holding together pretty good but I'd like to have perfection by September hunt.
I’m not paying stupid money for commercial caps. Most of my offhand shooting is flintlock.
Exactly my feelings on it. The gouges and hoarders can put theirs where the light don't shine......well, except during a colonoscopy. 😀

I'd like to see your binder recipe. Mine are holding together pretty good but I'd like to have perfection by September hunt.

Exactly my feelings on it. The gouges and hoarders can put theirs where the light don't shine......well, except during a colonoscopy. 😀
Single base smokeless powder dissolved in acetone. One drop per cap. Others on this forum have been doing this too with great success. It dries to a tough, hard, but flammable binder.

@NorthFork That's great info. Any suggestions on ratio ?
Others can help you out with Duco Cement dissolved in acetone. That is another popular homemade binder. I have not tried it. As for the single base smokeless powder binder, it was not my idea, nor is there really any 'recipe'. What I did was take an amount roughly equal a level teaspoon and dumped it into a pint mason jar with lid and ring. I then slowly added acetone to dissolve the powder. I ended up with basically almost a pint of black goo (a lifetimes supply!) after a couple days. It does take at least over night to complete the process. If after some time the acetone starts to evaporate off, just add more acetone. What is created is a nitro cellulose glue.

You want the consistency of syrup albeit slightly runny syrup.

@NorthFork thanks for that info. I have done the acetone and duco and it's OK. Always looking for a better way. I'm going to give your method a try for comparison.
I'll add to my previous post-

I got the idea from the castboolits forum. I did a search here on this forum and found that a member or two was doing the same. I use a tooth pick to pick up one small drop and dispense that per cap. You need to wait 24 hours before use. The caps go off with a louder and more powerful bang. Much more powerful! It is safe as the cap is outside of the bore. I have NO nipple issues (plugging, build up, etc). I guess the powerful cap blasts the 'junk' through the nipple. I also have no nipple erosion type issues that you might think from a very hot cap. I have 0, that is ZERO, primer compound that falls out of the caps now. AND 100% ignition. EVERY. TIME. BAR. NONE. Before trying this binder, I was 'ok' with the 22Reloader diy caps. Not great, not bad. After discovering this binder, I'm sold 100%. I've been using this binder for somewhere between 5-6 months now. I've had NOT ONE FAILURE to fire.

Latest posts

Back