• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since caps are hard to get I thought it might be interesting to see what everybody's experience has been with the caps they have used. Over the years about 90% of my shooting has been with Remington #11's . However I am currently shooting some CVA Caps that I bought in the 90's which I think are CCI caps. Also I have several cans of CCI #11's and #10's that I have purchased in the last few years . All these have worked well in my Lyman GPR and my cap and ball pistols . I can't say that one is better than another cause I just haven't had any trouble with any of them. FYI none of the are the + or magnum variety . I just recieved a can of RWS 1075's but haven't tried them yet.

I’ve shot every type of cap and they are all similar in my experience. That said I prefer rws caps, they seem to do a better job with substitutes. With regular good quality black powder I have no preference.

For target shooting I use whatever caps I can get. For hunting I use only RWS as I believe they are more resistant to moisture and Ohio's deer season is usually wet and the rifle will be loaded for some time!

Most of the #11 caps i've used were Remington and CCI. Never had any problems with either brand.

Recently took a TC New Englander to the range. Huge problem with misfires and hang fires. Changed to CCI and the problems continued. Sometime in the past i had changed the nipple after a range session and cleaning.

That nipple had a tiny flash hole. Installed a new TC nipple and no more problems.

When they become available freely, I'm stocking up! Not to clean out a shelf, just a couple here-n-there, so the next time some bogey-man gun-grabbing, panic inducing, fearsome politician hits the airwaves or covid-type rioting and TP shortages hit, I'll be happy as a clam along with the modern stuff I have canned. The "Hillary Scare", the Portland Rioting, the closing vice surrounding the AR-crimes, one can only surmise what the next panic will be.

I bought a few from Grafs during the sale to add to the Remingtons that I have. I also have plenty of small pistol primer and the tubing to hold them on the nipple. The testing I did with the small pistol primers was 100% successful. If I ran out of caps I would be perfectly content with the pistol primers. I find them easier to install on the nipple too. And easier to find if you drop one.

I've used both CCI and Remington No. 11s over the years. Never had a single one fail me of either brand.
Using a 6-year-old mix of Remington and CCI right now that I found stashed away that I had forgotten about. No problems with either brand.

The last couple years I bought 2-4 tins every time I saw them at BPS/Cabela's/Scheels/Dunhams. I currently have about 25 tins of #11's, use maybe 30 a month. Bought #10's even when I didn't have a pistol to use them in but only 3 tins.

Just saw No. 11s CCI at Walmart for $5.62 a hundred. I had seen others posting but was skeptical. They had 10 on rack, I got 2 so now I have right at 2,000 with my homemade. I’m good for a long time.
Yep. The Blue Dragon from Bentonville is stocking them in their "Muzzle Loading" section currently. We have two of its stores in our town...both have at least a dozen or so stocked right near the Pyrodex RS.

Walmart is stocking them.
20230720_165151.jpg
20230720_165158.jpg
20230720_165209.jpg

Latest posts

Back