• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FREE Percussion Caps!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK. I'm not giving away percussion caps. Im talking about the negatives in getting them free. I often get a bag of accessories with rifles I buy. Stuff like powder horns and flasks - often full of powder, measures, round balls, and percussion caps. I am usually excited about the latter, but not always. The thing is, these things can be over 50 years old. Hard to say unless tin has a date stamp. Take these CVA "Hot Flash" caps. Not sure how old, but 1 in 2 don't go BANG! So into the garbage. Need to test my other "free" percussion caps.
20231220_100143.jpg
20231220_100200.jpg

Rambler, free powder and free caps and you are griping that you can only bat .500 with them. C'mon man, don't be an ingrate. Just use the good caps and quit wasting time with the duds. Better yet, save the duds for your home cap making kit. SW
I have so little to whine about these days that I have to nit pick.

I was given a partial tin of very old CCI #11 caps several years ago. They came out of an old cabinet a non-shooter friend bought to repurpose. As a matter of fact just a day or two ago I finally pried the tin apart to free them. Whoever had last closed the tin wedged an old price sticker between the top and bottom of the tin. The compound in these caps looks a bit lighter in color than some fresher CCI caps I have. I'm anxious to find out if they are still good.

I was given a partial tin of very old CCI #11 caps several years ago. They came out of an old cabinet a non-shooter friend bought to repurpose. As a matter of fact just a day or two ago I finally pried the tin apart to free them. Whoever had last closed the tin wedged an old price sticker between the top and bottom of the tin. The compound in these caps looks a bit lighter in color than some fresher CCI caps I have. I'm anxious to find out if they are still good.
The primer compound more susceptible to moisture, etc. Than black powder. I am slowly working my way through 400 rounds of Belgian .45 ACP hardball that is all bad, with an alarming number of squibs. I am using an impact bullet puller and saving bullets and brass.

They worked perfectly!

Back in my day we used to walk 4 miles to bring back our empties for credit.

Sol Greenstein's Caps and Flints in Bennetville

c4b7361aa758c314482396d97765bb4c.jpg

Old caps tend to be more "disappointing: than "Devastating". Quite often, the priming disc has fallen completely out of the caps ..especially those carried about in a capper. Then, again, sometimes I've run across really old caps that shot just fine...??

Back