• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi all, new member with an interest for wheellocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Henry: That rifle is absolutely stunning !!! What an outstanding job. You can just see all the tedious labor that went into it. The flask also !!! Congrats on a beautiful pair.

Rick

Evand848: If you are leaning towards a pistol, here might be another option: The Indian made pistol could be purchased and you would have something complete - and "mostly" ready to shoot. That way, you can determine how far your interest are with wheellocks. Down the road, as time and money permit, you can decide if you want to go for a more custom shoulder arm for target shooting and/or hunting.
The lock on the Indian gun is about genuine pistol size. But could also be retrofitted latter to a custom type long gun - with a slimmer profile so that it would look right.
The lock on my Indian made pistol works OK. It does the job. The only weak part I found was the sliding arm for the pan cover. The material was too thin. And I thought this would tend to bend down the road. So I had a new arm made of thicker material and polished out, along with some extra minor tuning. Not a serious shooting gun, but lots of fun.
Here is a pic of mine. I had the stock slimmed down, the trigger re-shaped, and a different trigger guard installed which I thought looked more authentic. LOL
Anyway, that would get you started in wheellocks at a reasonable cost. Just a thought.

Rick
DSC00244 (Medium).JPG

Evand848: If you are leaning towards a pistol, here might be another option: The Indian made pistol could be purchased and you would have something complete - and "mostly" ready to shoot. That way, you can determine how far your interest are with wheellocks. Down the road, as time and money permit, you can decide if you want to go for a more custom shoulder arm for target shooting and/or hunting.
The lock on the Indian gun is about genuine pistol size. But could also be retrofitted latter to a custom type long gun - with a slimmer profile so that it would look right.
The lock on my Indian made pistol works OK. It does the job. The only weak part I found was the sliding arm for the pan cover. The material was too thin. And I thought this would tend to bend down the road. So I had a new arm made of thicker material and polished out, along with some extra minor tuning. Not a serious shooting gun, but lots of fun.
Here is a pic of mine. I had the stock slimmed down, the trigger re-shaped, and a different trigger guard installed which I thought looked more authentic. LOL
Anyway, that would get you started in wheellocks at a reasonable cost. Just a thought.

RickView attachment 29971

Where did you get that one? Loyalist arms sells them for $700 but I might as well save up $2000 for one of Osvaldo Gatto's pistols.
A man from india messaged me selling one for $400, probably a maker for whoever loyalist arms gets them from. I said if you can send a video of it sparking Ill buy one. he ignored that message...

This is my first post. The art of building a wheellock is not that easy just because they were an early firearm. The other thing I have found is that folks also think that just because it's a muzzleloader anyone can make one. The lock is the heart. When I first started I thought if I started with making Snaphaunce,Wheellock, Miquelett that I would be able to make a fine French Flintlock. They are all different. May I also say I have done a lot to business with TRS are they perfect no but I have learned a lot from the opportunity to purchase Jess' castings. It's like Rudyard said you have to know what you are looking at. I still have my first rifle I made it helps me to show folks that want to start making Muzzleloaders how I started, BTW it was a CVA in '72. The lock in this Muellerbuchse started out as a #535 that I altered back in '97 for this project that I only finished a couple of months ago. Once I started working on it took 18 months. The Sideplate alone took 3 months to cut it out from flat sheet Brass then Chase. Just had to know and understand the process. The same with the Flask I just had to know how it was made. It was fun. Sorry too many words. Later, Hank

Good advice and nice build!

Greetings, Rudyard Yes, Ideally not only my Flask should have been in Iron also the furniture on my Wheellock. My instructor for Blacksmithing just didn't follow through on my request to learn how to Forge the Trigger Guard. I tried at home , and it just didn't get done so over time I acquired parts in brass and then once I got going in Brass I stayed with it for the Flask too. Brass was more common in Southern Germany than in the North. This is all part of the fun of learning the history. Just for fun, on the bottom Left fork of the Antler there is a built in "Spanner" to wind the lock. This is not a contemporary Idea it was from a photo of an original. The art of making the Flask was from the NMLRA Class at Bowling Green, KY.
IMG_2994.JPG
To reinforce the spanner I added a 1018 steel plug to reinforce the spanner so all the strain wouldn't be on the body of the antler. Later, Hank

Rick, I should have responded earlier to your kind words, Thank you very much. I don't know how to word this. Yes, there is a lot of time involved but I don't try to think of the immediate time involved. That's why I'm glad I never thought of this for my primary occupation and more my passion. Later, Hank

RickView attachment 29971

dsc00244-medium-jpg.29971

Does any one know where one like this of similar be in stock? I tried Loyalist in Canada and Middlesx in NewHampshire, no joy. Are there other dealers I can call?

There's a guy on YouTube who built a Wheelock from scratch. If you like stuff like that check him out. He's working on a double barrel flintlock shotgun now. His page is called "Home made history"

Does any one know where one like this of similar be in stock? I tried Loyalist in Canada and Middlesx in NewHampshire, no joy. Are there other dealers I can call?

Thanks for your reply, I am considering this route, Since I work seasonally, the price for one of these may or may not be worth it. If i can scrounge $800 for one of these, i could probably scrounge $2000 for one of Osvaldos, I dont know about the $3500 for Boleks, that is really a lot of money for me. I know im dedicated to getting one of these. I WILL do it, no matter what it takes. I have a deep interest in the subject, as someone very into guns and equally into history, these firearms are the Holy Grail to me. The very first self igniting firearms are not some passing phase for me.

Ah yes I know of Pirate fashions, i know it sounds picky but the only wheellock theyve had in stock for over a year is that Puffer, Which for the price, is not really what im looking for, That pommel looks completely half assed for $2500. Im not even sure if that style is historically accurate tbh. Even if it was im not sure Id want it. For that kind of money It should say who built it. But i still do consider it an option, with the coronavirus my income has ceased so ive got plenty of time to windowshop around i guess.

There's a guy on YouTube who built a Wheelock from scratch. If you like stuff like that check him out. He's working on a double barrel flintlock shotgun now. His page is called "Home made history"

Ah yes im very familiar with his series, that man is INCREDIBLY good at what he does. I cannot imagine having the tools, time, knowhow, and balls to do what he does. Someday that is how i hope to live haha,Rudyard would classify me as "cackhanded" at this point, and my garage in general is laughably depressing. My best bet is to wait until I can work again, and see what kind of money I can get together to dump into a Wheellock of my pricerange. Thank you for your response

My bad i read the thread wrong, Yes i know a man who makes them in india and sells them wholesale. I dont know how much I trust him, but the Wheellocks and Matchlocks Facebook page seems to allow his business presence. He messages me with offers once in a while, I tell him, send me a video of it sparking and ill buy one. Those are the only responses he ignores. his name is: Kumar Ajay.

Back