• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with 1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Charlie

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My 1851 uberti Navy just came by FedEx. In the packaging there are two sets of instructions. One says to use a .375 ball the other says to use a .380 ball. So what are you guys shooting in your uberti 51 navy?
Old Charlie

You could probably use either because an oversized ball will shave off a ring of lead. If the .375 is too small you may risk a chain fire- use wads under the smaller balls.

I use .375 and a lubed wad in my .36 cal revolvers - two are Piettas and two are Ubertis. The 1851 Navy is a Uberti and gets along fine with .375 rb's, with the lubed wad.

I have used .380's in the Piettas with good results also, but they are hard to find, and since the .375's work, I just stay with them.

The .375's leave a nice ring of lead in the Uberti's and less so in the Pietta's, and the .380's leave a good ring but load hard in the Pietta's. I have not tried them in the Ubertis.

CORRECTION!

Somehow it didn't sound right to me that I had not tried the .380's in my Ubertis, because that's what I bought them for. Turns out I had that backwards. I have used them in the Ubertis but not the Piettas.

The .375's load better in the Piettas, leaving a distinct lead ring, and they leave significantly less lead in the Ubertis, although there is a ring. The .380's load hard in the Ubertis and leave a significant ring. I have not tried them in the Piettas.

Apologies for the mistake in my first post.

I got some .375s and they shave a very small ring of lead and load nice and easy. As I use a over powder wad I think I will stick with them.
Old Charlie

I cast .375 for my pietta. leave a nice ring and load with just a little pressure.
Don't use wads, just a squirt of grease over the ball.
Was just shooting her today :grin: Love it.

Back