• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me flip a coin......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with the Lyman. I've got one Trade rifle and two Investarm [maker of the Lyman Trade Rifle] Hawkens and they are the best shooting production guns I own.

Hello all! I have a decision to make, and I'm soliciting your advice in flipping this coin. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a flintlock. A LGS has a Lyman Trade Rifle on the rack, and another shop I go to often (specializes in ML's) has a T/C Renegade 56 caliber smooth bore he converted to Flintlock. I would use it to hunt with, just not sure which I want. The smoothie would be more versatile, but what kind of accuracy could I expect with a PRB from the 56? Welcome any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

Snakebit
my personal 56's both are tack drivers I own 1 of each the flint is set up to compete in the smooth bore class the percussion has sights and set triggers personal best with it is 44 of 50 at 100 yards with 65grains of 3f goex .545" hand cast ( i made my own mold ) .015-.018" ticking patch with wonder lube

I'd say it'll come down to what your gonna use it for. If you plan on chasing small game with shot, then the smoothie would be perfect. If you think you're gonna mostly only hunt bigger game, then the trade rifle would be your best bet. I have and shoot both TC and Lymans and I like and find both reliable so I don't feel it would come down to that. as a side nudge, as stated by longcruise, down the road you could pick up a rifled TC barrel that would drop in, either previously owned or new drop in by green mountain which would be a win-win with the smoothie Goodluck.

I'd say it'll come down to what your gonna use it for. If you plan on chasing small game with shot, then the smoothie would be perfect. If you think you're gonna mostly only hunt bigger game, then the trade rifle would be your best bet. I have and shoot both TC and Lymans and I like and find both reliable so I don't feel it would come down to that. as a side nudge, as stated by longcruise, down the road you could pick up a rifled TC barrel that would drop in, either previously owned or new drop in by green mountain which would be a win-win with the smoothie Goodluck.
Yessir. I have been rolling that around in that empty space between my ears. Thanks for the nudge!

my personal 56's both are tack drivers I own 1 of each the flint is set up to compete in the smooth bore class the percussion has sights and set triggers personal best with it is 44 of 50 at 100 yards with 65grains of 3f goex .545" hand cast ( i made my own mold ) .015-.018" ticking patch with wonder lube
Do you think a .550 RB would be tough to load, or would you suggest smaller?

Back