• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me flip a coin......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakebit

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a decision to make, and I'm soliciting your advice in flipping this coin. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a flintlock. A LGS has a Lyman Trade Rifle on the rack, and another shop I go to often (specializes in ML's) has a T/C Renegade 56 caliber smooth bore he converted to Flintlock. I would use it to hunt with, just not sure which I want. The smoothie would be more versatile, but what kind of accuracy could I expect with a PRB from the 56? Welcome any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

Snakebit

Hello all! I have a decision to make, and I'm soliciting your advice in flipping this coin. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a flintlock. A LGS has a Lyman Trade Rifle on the rack, and another shop I go to often (specializes in ML's) has a T/C Renegade 56 caliber smooth bore he converted to Flintlock. I would use it to hunt with, just not sure which I want. The smoothie would be more versatile, but what kind of accuracy could I expect with a PRB from the 56? Welcome any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

Snakebit
Hmmm...... Youll be happy with either but .....hmmmm ......just wonder how good that frizzen is on the Renegade .... Hate to have ya get a unreliable firearm.. . . check make sure she's a good sparker or go for the trade rifle . best of luck.
Keep us posted

Hmmm...... Youll be happy with either but .....hmmmm ......just wonder how good that frizzen is on the Renegade .... Hate to have ya get a unreliable firearm.. . . check make sure she's a good sparker or go for the trade rifle . best of luck.
Keep us posted
The owner guarantees function on anything he sells. I know Jack manure about flinters. I'm surprised I'm even going to move on this urge.

The owner guarantees function on anything he sells. I know Jack manure about flinters. I'm surprised I'm even going to move on this urge.
LOL ! Welp , i love my flintlocks , esp. NW trade guns ... Them smoothbores sure are great fur filling the pot . Squirrels , rabbit , birds, deer , bear .... gets em.all .

If you do your work the smoothie would be accurate to minute of deer out to 50 yards and there are lot of folks here that can do much better than that.
Yeah , I can't speak for all the smoothbores but ive had many , made many. I ve killed a bunch of deer past 60-70 yards but just cause I knew where they were hittin at that distance for sure but most my kills were 20-40 yards ...drops em like an anvil.

If you do your work the smoothie would be accurate to minute of deer out to 50 yards and there are lot of folks here that can do much better than that.
I'd be happy with MOD, I hunt in the woods anyway. Most of the deer I kill are 50 yards or under.

Yeah , I can't speak for all the smoothbores but ive had many , made many. I ve killed a bunch of deer past 60-70 yards but just cause I knew where they were hittin at that distance for sure but most my kills were 20-40 yards ...drops em like an anvil.
I haven't done any earnest searching, but are the 56 caliber RB readily available?

IMO for what its worth I'd go with the Lyman. I would think the Renegade smoothie wouldn't be as accurate as the Lyman but I have zero experience with them

I haven't done any earnest searching, but are the 56 caliber RB readily available?
All I shoot are 20 ga. ,a little 24 ga. , but mostly 20 ... Ive heard folks using .54 cal ball for em but that'd just what i hear . Different round ball and molds are easy to find ...check the ole inter web and look at some ball sizes first ifn yer curious .... I'll see what I find too .

I'd go for the Lyman too. Only go with smoothie if you have a desire to shoot shot. Just my opinion though.

If you pop for the smoothie I predict you will add a rifled gun within two years. 😉

But, here's another big consideration. You can easily add a rifled Barrel that will fit the tc and you would have your cake and eat it too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810-225502.png
    Screenshot_20230810-225502.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
If it's a choice between flint or percussion, go with flint. If smooth, go bigger.

It doesn't matter because you're going to buy more anyway after you get hooked and want better guns with fewer problems. You might even buy a couple of chisels and files and pick up a Kibler kit....or five.

I'd go for the Lyman too. Only go with smoothie if you have a desire to shoot shot. Just my opinion though.

If you pop for the smoothie I predict you will add a rifled gun within two years. 😉

But, here's another big consideration. You can easily add a rifled Barrel that will fit the tc and you would have your cake and eat it too.
I was kinda wonderin if he could get a rifled barrel for it as well ....he// , he'd have the best of both worlds there .....

I have a shotgun barrel for my Newenglander, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor. Problem with me is I tend to like weird sh/t.🤷

If it's a choice between flint or percussion, go with flint. If smooth, go bigger.

It doesn't matter because you're going to buy more anyway after you get hooked and want better guns with fewer problems. You might even buy a couple of chisels and files and pick up a Kibler kit....or five.
Always resisted flintlocks. I shot traditional Archery for many years until I lost my left eye and my depth perception went south. My excuse when still shooting sticks and not getting a flintlock was "I didn't need anymore aggravation in my life". But here I am, putting way too much thought into it.

Back