• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not seeing 10 grand in this one.Maple stock to common. I would have had some really nice Turkish Walnut on it.
Locks and triggers run-of-the-mill everyone has those.

Not feeling the gravity here.

Well... My Honda will take me anywhere the other fellow's Mercedes will go, and it will get me there just as fast and comfortably. However, he would rather drive a Mercedes. I don't think that makes him an idiot. He just has different taste and the money to indulge it.

I'm on the River Junction mailing list and got email notification of that rifle this afternoon. River Junction handles a lot of antique guns, along with other odds and ends. Most of the guns they sell are "old west" type cartridge guns, but they do have some nice muzzleloaders now and then. In my opinion, River Junction tends to overprice things, but they do consider reasonable offers. I've never bought an antique gun from them, if you are wondering. Like most of us here, I'm just not in a position to be doing that, which is one reason I drive a Honda.

So, I would agree that the subject rifle is overpriced, and there is no way I would consider buying it. It is a very nice rifle, though, and I would say worth considerably more than the average custom build.

First of all, Jim Parker (the builder) is pretty well known and respected in the world of custom muzzleloaders. I think just his name on a rifle would run the pricetag up some. The reason for that is his workmanship, which really shines on this piece.

Wood to metal and metal to metal fit are really good. Somebody commented on the stock. That's actually a pretty good piece of maple, with really nice figure in it from nosecap to buttplate. I did not see that the barrel maker was named, which is unfortunate, but the other components (Davis lock, L&R triggers) are excellent quality. Authenticity probably figured into this rifle's design. I think most of the originals were stocked in maple, a few with really nice figure, and some original Hawkens were made with American walnut. I've never heard of one with Turkish walnut...

Then there's the finish. We have talked ourselves into believing that original Hawkens were browned, but that is not necessarily true. Many were blued, and this rifle is hot rust blued. The dark finish on the wood is authentic, also. In one of the late Doc White's Hawken articles, he indicated a lot of the originals were almost black. Then, there is the engraving, the cap box, and the finely checkered wrist. These are all authentic features of the best grade of rifles to come out of the Hawken shop. The subject rifle looks like a J&S rifle to me, maybe of a type that would have been turned out shortly before Jacob's death in 1849. The rectangular-headed wedges and two pins in the entry pipe suggest an earlier style than the classic Sam Hawken type to me. The "flat-to-wrist" triggerguard rail is not necessarily a really early feature, but I would not expect to see one on a late-era Sam Hawken original.

In many respects, this Jim Parker Hawken reminds me of the pristine J&S Hawken that was written up by George Shumway in his Longrifles of Note series, which have been collected in book form. The J&S Hawken is in Volume II:

Hawken Article 1.jpgHawken Article 2.jpg

Note the checkered wrist, and Shumway's comments about the charcoal blue finish.

The Jim Parker Hawken offered by River Junction is way out of my price range, and I would even say I think it is overpriced. However, this is one of the better custom Hawkens and it is worth a lot more than average. I understand Brant Selb is now getting about $5K for his standard Hawkens, if you can get him to build one. There are people out there who have done well for themselves and have more disposable income than a lot of us here, people who don't mind dropping $10K on a really nice rifle. There are breechloading side-by-side express rifles being bought and sold that make this Hawken look like a bargain.

I think the Jim Parker Hawken which is under discussion here is an outstanding rifle, and Jim Boeke, the proprietor of River Junction, makes that clear. I'll never own this rifle, but I hope it finds a good home, with a new owner who appreciates it.

Just my opinion, respectfully submitted.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Hey, for another $110.00 they will throw in a custom Matt Dillon suede vest to round out your impoverishment. SW
Way to rich for my blood. But I've been incredibly cheap my whole life. If I was a millionaire I still wouldn't put that much in one gun. Doesn't mean it isn't worth it. Just means it's not worth it to me.
Discerning Tim, discerning. Not cheap. And millionaires are passe'. A 4 bedroom house in a nice part of Memphis [is there one?] qualifies you as a millionaire. Sleepy joe spends money like a trillionaire. He will buy it for you. Sumpin for free for all of us. Just tell him you need it for your community college ML class. SW

Hey, for another $110.00 they will throw in a custom Matt Dillon suede vest to round out your impoverishment. SW

Discerning Tim, discerning. Not cheap. And millionaires are passe'. A 4 bedroom house in a nice part of Memphis [is there one?] qualifies you as a millionaire. Sleepy joe spends money like a trillionaire. He will buy it for you. Sumpin for free for all of us. Just tell him you need it for your community college ML class. SW
I haven't found the nice part of Memphis yet...

Maybe built by a maker of note but I have seen better finished metal parts for less $. It has handling/use marks on the stock. The inletting if nice but again for the $ it should be near perfect.

Overpriced for me.

Don

Not no, but hell no.

I would like to have an accurate reproduction, something better than my Investarms Gemmer, but I'll wait for Jim to put one out since it's supposed to be next on the list.
Yeah. When Jim offers one, it will start and continue to be a "best seller", and may overwhelm with demand! :)

Doesn 't pass theWoodfill test...too short...no points on the lock inlet.
@David Austin , it took me a little while to process this. Aging brain... Slow on the uptake... Your observation is appreciated!

I have Bob Woodfill's book, and thought he did a pretty good job with it. Some of today's Hawken experts disagree and even disparage the book, but I'm not sure why. The Parker Hawken which is the subject of this thread has a 31" barrel, which I would agree is shorter than average. However, Mr. Woodfill wrote an article in Muzzle Blasts (and a chapter in his book) on shorter-than-average Hawkens, so he did acknowledge their existence. These two signed Hawken rifles were shown in Ned Roberts' book, The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle:

Roberts, p. 184 -  S. Hawken.jpg

Roberts. p. 184 - Jacob Hawken.jpg
Both of the above Hawkens have 28" barrels.

As for the lock inlet, I guess I've seen a lot worse. I have begun to pay more attention to lock mouldings, which is an area in which a lot of today's builders could improve. Mr. Parker could have made the rear end of his lock moulding a bit less broad, but I like the way the bolster on the lockplate in front of the snail fairs into the wood of the forend. He did a good job there.

Overall, I would say our friend, @Grenadier1758 , summed it up the best of anybody:
It is a very nice rifle, built of quality parts, assuming the barrel is from a top builder. The barrel is properly tapered. None-the-less, the rifle is very much overpriced, even for a quality build.

Incidentally, River Junction also has a nice GRRW Leman Indian Rifle for sale: GRRW Leman Indian Rifle, .54 Caliber

Not cheap at $1,695, but I don't think it's out of line considering the rifle's condition and maker.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back