• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms Hawken sight upgrade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a good peep sight all comes into focus. Get a good front sight too, like a lyman 17.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-57sml-and-57gpr-receiver-sights.html

Open sights will not work well as we age. IF you must use them, get glasses made that focus the top of the bifocal at about 4'. Forget about progressive lenses, they are useless for shooting. The front sight is the important thing to focus, the target is suppose to be blurry. Switching focus between the sight and target is not the best way. As we age it becomes impossible. Focus on the front sight, squeeze, follow through. Success will follow

With a good peep sight all comes into focus. Get a good front sight too, like a lyman 17.

Open sights will not work well as we age. IF you must use them, get glasses made that focus the top of the bifocal at about 4'. Forget about progressive lenses, they are useless for shooting. The front sight is the important thing to focus, the target is suppose to be blurry. Switching focus between the sight and target is not the best way. As we age it becomes impossible. Focus on the front sight, squeeze, follow through. Success will follow
No disagreement with anything you said, but the point of my post was to find one that works on an Investarms barrel.

Try a diopter. A simple one can be made from a 1" long piece of black electrical tape with a 1/8" hole punched in it. Place the tape on your shooting glasses. The pin hole acts like the hole in the peep sight.

You can get diopters with adjustable apertures that have a suction cupped arm that attach to your shooting glasses.

The Lyman 17 and 57SML is the only option I have found. The site I was looking at said specifically that it fit my TC .54cal Hawken and a few more. Should be one of my next purchases. Originally I was wanting one of those vintage Hi-Lux for it but there wasn't any base options for it.

The Lyman 17 and 57SML is the only option I have found. The site I was looking at said specifically that it fit my TC .54cal Hawken and a few more. Should be one of my next purchases. Originally I was wanting one of those vintage Hi-Lux for it but there wasn't any base options for it.
FitsLyman Deerstalker and Trade Rifles
Thompson/Center Hawken Rifles and almost all Hawken-style replica rifles

Attachments

• LY3090114.jpg
    LY3090114.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3090116_muzzlleloadersight17a_2.jpg
    3090116_muzzlleloadersight17a_2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
Im curious as to whether either one is historically correct or just great upgrades...
Apparently, in the "Jim Gordon" collection, there are original hawkens with various types of peep sights as well as a few pistol grips, like on the Long Range model of the Trapdoor rifle. So the idea, according to the source, has been around since the 1500s but not popularized on hawkens or other rifles until the late 1800s.

So my question is still unanswered for reenactment purposes????

I have Williams f.p. Hawken rear sight and a Lyman 17 front globe sight on my great plains hunter. The trick with the Williams rear sight is getting the right elevation to match the front sight. For the life in me, I can't find a aftermarket adapter like the one that comes with the Lyman.

Attachments

• 2024-03-20 10.18.24.jpg
    2024-03-20 10.18.24.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I have Williams f.p. Hawken rear sight and a Lyman 17 front globe sight on my great plains hunter. The trick with the Williams rear sight is getting the right elevation to match the front sight. For the life in me, I can't find a aftermarket adapter like the one that comes with the Lyman.
Damn! I've never seen a spacer or shim for tang sights. I've always read that one has to get a shorter front sight.

Attachments

• 2024-03-20 15.29.04.jpg
    2024-03-20 15.29.04.jpg
    943.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2024-03-20 15.29.22.jpg
    2024-03-20 15.29.22.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
.45 at lowest 1.10 at highest elevation and base measures around .20
These are in inches but keep in mind the curvature of your tang too.

Attachments

• 2024-03-21 16.32.04.jpg
    2024-03-21 16.32.04.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2024-03-21 16.34.00.jpg
    2024-03-21 16.34.00.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2024-03-21 16.46.35.jpg
    2024-03-21 16.46.35.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back