• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hard Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it was Selous but it was also a small smokeless rifle like a .303 or something he traded for a blackpowder cartridge gun and he MAY have had some difficulty taking game with the .311 and also in finding smokeless ammo.

Loyalist Dave said:
I've heard that rumor, but have never had anybody show where that idea is supported. I know that some "archaeologists" claim they found the oldest known bullet wound from a Spanish firearm in a native skull because of the iron/steel left around the hole in the skull... but they ignore the fact that the Spanish halberd had a butt with a round, iron spike, and would dispatch wounded, prostrate enemies with that spike, by placing it on the skull and applying body weight, twist it free, and move on. Plus, iron musket balls are very expensive, compared to roundish rocks.

LD
When that research was first published, there was much discussion on various boards, and someone posted a portion of a translated 15th or early 16th century Spanish text that described the routine production of wrought-iron musket balls (heat the end of the bar, bump up, reheat as needed, swadge, cut off, swadge again to round the sprue). The quotation made it sound like this was apparently the usual ammunition or at least common, and it was suggested in the discussion that this was a hold over from the need to penetrate European armor. Bear in mind that cast lead was not previously used for projectiles, except possibly for sling shot; arrow/quarrel heads were forged iron. No-one anywhere mentioned shooting rocks from muskets or calivers. The early stone cannon balls were carefully rounded and gauged.

Concerning that skull, I seem to recall that the circular divot from the wound was found within the cavity and you wouldn't get that from a pointed penetration.

Regards,
Joel

I've seen a few references to "copper" balls used in Spanish escopetas...which were lighter smoothbores used by Spanish military and colonists in North America. One was as late as the fracas in Texas in 1836. I'd have to do some serious digging through the book pile to find them. As I typed this, I believe one even spoke of Sam Houston's ankle wound at San Jacinto was the result of a "copper" musket ball.

There appears to be a variety of the style. Narragansett Armes even did a version back when they were still making guns.

Latest posts

Back