• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grafs Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Historian

20 ga. Flintlock SXS
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used Graf's Line of black powder recently? I am curious since it is cheaper than Goex and Old Eynsford and they say they are using Alder as the charcoal base?

Yes, I use it.
It seems to work quite well compared to GOEX, and there are those that report less fouling. I've not noticed any real difference in fouling between it an GOEX, whether I use a spit patch or beeswax/olive oil lube. Other lubes may make a difference. Does the alder charcoal make a difference....
:idunno:

I tried it since at the time I ordered it the powder supplier was "out of stock" of my standard GOEX 3Fg..., the fact that it was $2.50 a pound less expensive was pretty good too (and that's $11.00 below what GOEX goes for over the counter where I am) ..., and I and several of my friends were buying a bulk order.

LD

Yes it is German made powder from my reading of the website. Alder wood charcoal is what they say the best powder is made from. I know Swiss and Old Eynsford are made with Alder wood. It usually produces less fouling from what I have read. It is also more energetic. I figure to give it a try. Graf's is really easy to deal with and I can get it within 2 business days.

I used Goex ffg for 40 years and have switched just recently to Olde Eynsford for the first time, but have not tried Graf's brand yet. They are good people to do business with. I really like the OE ffg and it is noticeably hotter firing than Goex. I need to try Graf's brand on my next BP order.

I posted a similar thread recently and just ordered a few pounds of Graf's powder. I'll report back once I give it a try.

Same here. Let us know.
I really like the Old Eynsford and yes it is a little hotter than regular Goex and it seems to burn a little cleaner. I really like the 1.5 Fg size.

Graf's powder is reported to be relabeled Schuetzen which is a good German powder. I think it is comparable to GOEX.

Now I use it in place of GOEX due to the cheaper price.

Once I got a few hiccups figured out, the FFG Graf's powder seemed to ignite very easily in my Investarms rifle using CCI magnum #11 caps. I was just shooting at my indoor range, which closed before I could do too much experimenting. I used a 90gr charge and shot a handful of 535 RBs (cast from my Lee mold and Hornady swaged) and Lee REALs with a felt wad over the powder.

I'm new to BP so it all seems "dirty" to me compared to T7. Swabbed between every or every other shot. Tried to wait until after 3 shots once and it was pretty hard to load and very dirty. I also noticed a good amount of sparks flying out the barrel and wonder if that is a sign that I could drop my powder charge a bit.

Below is a link to a photo of a representative group at 25 yards (remember it's just the indoor range). Hoping to get to the outdoor range this week. In fact, I know I will but have to pattern my shotgun for turkey hunting before playing with my rifle...
https://www.flickr.com/gp/95870650@N03/549y38

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I would drop your charge a bit. May be getting incomplete burn on powder. I shoot 60 grains of Goex ff from my two .50 cals. and it is great on the range to 50 yds. But that is with patched round ball. A hunting load with a conical, of course, would require a higher BP load. I always notice more fouling the greater the powder charge over the years as well. I'm hoping the Olde Eynsford ff is a little cleaner. So far, it has been in limited use. I still love to use plain old Goex ffg.

Horizontal stringing is a bit unusual on an indoor range since lighting and wind are not obvious factors. It would be interesting to know the firing order to speculate on clinching from the heavy load.

Black powder will leave more fouling residue in your bore. You are trading increased fouling for easier ignition. Increased fouling usually causes vertical stringing due to pressure changes.

If wiping between shots proves to be too much of a problem for you, then stick with T7.

Old saying don’t know where it came from or if accurate.

Vertical stringing increase the powder charge.
Horizontal srtringing reduce the powder charge.

Interesting that you both mentioned the "stringing" in my group. I didn't think about it much and don't recall either the order of shot on this group nor whether my other groups looked like this. I just snapped a shot of the last one to have something to show...

Another thing to think about next time out.

I have been using Graf's powder for the past 3-4 years. I also tried it because I could not get any Goex, which I usually used up to that time.

I have had no troubles with it shooting in any kind of weather or conditions. All my guns have adapted to it nicely. I am very satisfied with my results. From the start I always felt it was a tad bit dirtier than Goex, but, mayby not, according to some on this thread. It is not enough for me to complain about.

I have no qualms on recommending Graf's powder.

Outdoorman

I was back in Iowa last fall and stopped at Mexico, Mo., and picked up a case. Really like it.

Yup, I decided to try it because of the lower price so I ordered a few pounds. It's definitely cleaner, and I think it may be a bit hotter than Goex. I do need to tweek my load some to dial it back in where I had it with my old Goes loading. So far, I am very pleased.

Latest posts

Back