• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good all around smoothy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your price limit? It's always best to spend a bit more and get quality components that have been fitted to a good piece of wood--chosen more for how the grain runs through the wrist area than for figure. Good used guns are out there. Track of the Wolf is one place to start. They have a good variety and high resolution photos on their site. If a new gun is in the cards, then there are builders right here on the forum that can help you out.

I am very interested in a used, but 1200.00 is about the most I could spend and not be killed by the wife. :(

Longbow, Let me urge you to take a look at the guns from North Star West. Like I said, the Northwest Gun is my favorite. And you can get one in 16 gauge on special order. Visit their website at http://www.northstarwest.com/.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get a nice used fowler for that money or a bit more. For example, Track has a 12 bore Caywood fowler right now for a little over your budget and you might be able to negotiate with them.

The North Star West guns are another good idea. You could get one in the white and finish it yourself for about what you want to pay. They use quality parts and have been around for a long time. The higher grade fusils can pass as fowlers, and any of the long guns will do what you want them to. I'd definitely go with the longer barrel as they tend to pattern better than the shorter ones and they handle patched ball loads well too.

Almost any smoothbore caliber will do the job. Just stay away from cap guns, they are too modern for hunting the traditional way, give the game a chance and learn to hunt the traditional way with a flintlock. Cap guns are for the lazy.

There is a brand new Fusil de Chase 44" barrel .62 from TOTW parts on another forums trade blanket I don't think we are supposed to post links here PM me if you want to look at it he is asking $1300 not a bad price from the pics he did a good job on it, if he sent it to track they would probably mark it up to over $1800

I'll vouch for the gun TG is speaking of. Well worth the asking price and nicely done. One nice thing about staying with a modern gauge, 12,20,16 is that you should be able to find wads at you're local sporting goods store. I'm currently shooting a smoothrifle in 24 ga. (.58 cal) and usually have to order my wads. Mine was custom build and has a 38" barrel. Swings nice, plus has the cheek piece and rear sights for shootin roundball.

Latest posts

Back