• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 Caliber Smooth Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first go round with a good smoothbore and so far things are going well. I got some good rabbit and bird killing patterns out to 30 yards yesterday. The first load was 1 1/8 oz of shot and 80 grains FFF Goex. It patterned all right but kicked too much so I switched to FF. Still more recoil than I like so I worked down to 60 FF which is comfortable to shoot and patterned fine. I was using the pattern boards at the local shotgun range. The usual half dozen Wednesday morning regulars were there shooting more bull that pigeons. After I showed my gun around I walked out to the #3 station and yelled "pull". I got a straight away bird, blew it to smithereens, took a bow, and walked back to the bench. I do know when to quit!
Earlier shooting with a round ball showed some promise so I'll be working on that next.

IMG_6507.JPG
IMG_6509.JPG
IMG_6508.JPG

Thanks for all the replies! It's a pretty simple gun with no fooforaw. I didn't add anything that I didn't think was essential like a toe plate or nosecap and there's just the one ramrod pipe. There's no side plate on it either. I forgot all about the dang thing until I was ready to stain and finish the stock. I figured I can always add one later if I think I need it. Maybe. The ramrod is 7/16". I put a 3/8" tip on the bottom end so I can put a jag on it when I use the front jag for cleaning. It makes it a lot easier to pull the ramrod out. Colerain 36" barrel and Chambers lock. Furniture and stock a precarved early Lancaster from Pecatonica. As usual it's a great piece of wood for the price and the barrel and ramrod channel and groove were well done. I did all the rest of the inletting. It weighs 7 1/4 lb. It's my idea of what a plain working flintlock smoothbore made in the late 1700's might have looked like after it was converted to a modern ignition system.

Good report...I think my next gun will be a Kibler .58 smoothbore, I already have 3 rifles, 2 in .54 and one in .40...I'm thinking a smoothy would be nice for squirrels...What shot size were you using and what were you using for wadding? Thanks!

I have 32, 45 and 54 rifles I built and a Kibler 40 cal SMR. I used some #5 shot for most of the patterning. I figure that will be good for rabbits. I also used #7 1/2 which is what I broke the bird with. My big mistake in hind sight was telling the guys I used shot. I should have said "Wow, that 58 caliber ball really blew up that clay bird!"
The load was 60 FF Goex, a 1/8" fiber wad, a 1/2" fiber wad soaked in lard/bees wax, 1 1/8 oz shot, and a thin card wad. I used a smooth bore loading tutorial I found on this forum as a guide and it worked.

This is my first go round with a good smoothbore and so far things are going well. I got some good rabbit and bird killing patterns out to 30 yards yesterday. The first load was 1 1/8 oz of shot and 80 grains FFF Goex. It patterned all right but kicked too much so I switched to FF. Still more recoil than I like so I worked down to 60 FF which is comfortable to shoot and patterned fine. I was using the pattern boards at the local shotgun range. The usual half dozen Wednesday morning regulars were there shooting more bull that pigeons. After I showed my gun around I walked out to the #3 station and yelled "pull". I got a straight away bird, blew it to smithereens, took a bow, and walked back to the bench. I do know when to quit!
Earlier shooting with a round ball showed some promise so I'll be working on that next.

View attachment 252895View attachment 252897View attachment 252896
Nice wood!!

I look forward to a Killer fowler kit. Reckon he has that in mind for the near future? My only experience with smoothbores was a percussion double 12 gauge by Pedersoli, a beautiful piece. So my opinion not worth much but I'm not sure a .58 is big enough for consistent success, but it surely does make a nice roundball shooter.

Crisco Kid,
That's one good looking smoothbore. I prefer them plain and business like myself. When that gun gets a little honest wear and patina on it, it's going to look even better. Nice job.

Back