• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex at Gander Mt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwilliams3

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised to find Goex for $14 a pound this past weekend at the local Gander Mt. I was a little surprised because just a month or so ago I paid $18 at the same store.

I know not all of their chains carry powder, but if you have one nearby it may be worthwhile to see what their price is. It sure beats driving two hours north to the nearest goex supplier.

As a side note, I always get a kick on having to explain why I want black powder. Usually it takes two or three people to figure out that they actually have some (locked up in a vault in the back) and then when they get it for you they make some comment about the stuff being so dirty and corrosive, they can’t believe people still buy it.

Good for you! :thumbsup:

Here in Utah, Salt Lake county stopped selling BP years ago and the next county south-Utah county - has the Cabela's store in it just minutes from my home. :grin:

Last year I go in to buy some primers and powder for my Sharps and surprise :cursing: NO MO GOEX! The guys told me their corporate attorneys told them "ax the black". Safety and liability issues or some crock. :confused:

So now I just drive a bit further south to a store with GOEX and way better pricing than Cabela's. Yea, I know I can order the 25 pounds online, pay the hazmat fee and come out ahead but I'm not there yet.

i just called gander mtn in muncy,pa. and its 18.95 a lb and may go up as haz fees are going up.

so, i would guess it should go to 20 dollars a lb soon.

RMC raised theirs to 24.95 a lb.

i bought 10 lbs for 16.50 a lb delivered to my home.

we at times dont figure gasoline to go buy the powder,may raise cost for 1 can up 10 dollars.

if you got it at that price, I WOULD BUY AT LEAST 10 LBS.

dont think for minute INFLATION is not going to go up even more.

i just heard that auto parts are going up because plants are closing do to lack of demand.

no DOUBT in my mind that LEAD will also be hard to get in future.

i bought 20 bricks of 22 cal shells for my browning buckmark.

at our sportsmans club they want us to clean up lead and dispose of it,every year its another rule making it hard to shoot.

sorry, i got off topic.

If you can get it at $14 a pound, stock up while you can! I can't get it locally unless I drive across town and pay $28 a pound, if they even stock it anymore. I mail order mine, and even at that, I don't get it a whole lot cheaper than $14 a pound.

Mail order is just so much more convenient that even if it was available locally for cheap, I'd probably still mail order it. I mail order most everything simply because I hate fighting the idiot drivers here to go shopping.

Ha, I feel you. I’ve made it a habit to strategically stop by whenever I’m on that side of town and pick up a pound. It looks a heck of a lot less expensive than buying 5 or 10 pounds at a time. This time though, with only $14 a pound, I told my wife “I better stock up now or I might never see this price again.”

Oh, and I think everyone is right about prices going up even further. All the financial people I know and respect have projected a leveling out in prices in the near future followed by severe, rampant inflation. If we see prices drop over the next month, don’t be surprised if everything skyrockets soon after. Stock up on powder now. Get a good supply of lead and a mold- which is what I need to do.

I just bought a case for 12.60 a pound delivered 315.00 a case. and lead I pick up from the scrap yard. I have a bout 500# of lead right now. last batch was .18 a #.

this lead thing isgetting serious.

the PGC here in pa even had a deer MRI to see how much lead was in meat.

you would be shocked at how much lead is in meat that you never see,hundred of pieces .

a rb is not bad at all but a high powered bullet, lead all thru meat all way back to the rear.

i think you can see this on YOU TUBE test they made.

Sorry, but this is just another " Chicken Little " problem. The SKY IS NOT FALLING, folks.

There is NO empirical data that eating lead is harmful to adults. The human body is quite capable of removing all kinds of heavy metals, and does so daily.

I have a close friend and client who was a range officer/ instructor at our local police academy. When the PC police began testing everyone for lead in their blood, He and two other range instructors were removed from that teaching assignment, and given desk jobs, and classroom assignments instead. He was tested a year later, and his lead levels were well below the danger level, and well within norms. Each succeeding year he was checked, his lead levels dropped further, until there was no point to testing him further. BTW, Changes were made to the range, with ventilation systems and filter systems added above the firing line, and lead levels for the instructors who replaced him never approached the danger levels.

We are letting the government again get us to give up our rights over being SCARED about NOTHING!

Lead was shown to be dangerous to young infants( under 18 months old) because their brains were still developing after birth, and lead was being stored in the fatty tissue that became brain matter, leading to a number of central nervous system disorders, and retardation.

I don't know anyone that age who is shooting guns, or hunting with guns, and darn few who are eating meat! So, exactly how are they going to absorb lead bits that are often microscopic from deer meat shot with any rifle, much less a MLer????? Until a child develops teeth in their second and third years, eating meat is not an option.

Stop spreading the Left Wing propaganda to people without telling them the whole truth. Its been a long time since the country was focused on the lead problem long enough for people to understand the boundaries of the problem. It was a problem in big cities, where irresponsible parents allowed their children to eat paint peeling off old walls and window trim. These same parents didn't clean their homes, or take the simple precaution to watch their children and stop them from eating the pain chips. Instead of taking the children away from such neglectful parents( there were too many of them) government came up with the usual LIBERAL solution of blaming the manufacturers of paint, banning lead based paints, and requiring the paint factories, at their own expense, to retool to make paints differently. Hence, Latex paint was born.

I am not disputing that lead free paint creates a safer environment. I just grew up without knowing any kid in my town who ever ate paint chips. I don't remember how old I was when my parents told me not to each paint chips, but it was way before I reached kindergarten! And I grew up in the 40s and 50s, when lead based paints were still commonly used in homes. And my parents never allowed the paint to deteriorate to a condition where it was peeling off, and falling down on the floor, where we kids could easily reach it.

Lead is NOT harmful to the environment. Lead oxidizes so quickly that its quickly covered in either calcium, or iron oxides and neutralized. The lead you dig out of the backstop at your range will be surrounded with oxides. There is NO empirical evidence that lead bullets, or lead pellets in the environment harm any plant or animal.

jbwilliams,
Check www.grafs.com. Order enough and you
will save some $$$$ There are others as well,and
you can check the 'LINKS' section to contact them.
If you are paying more than $14#,you are paying too much.IMHO
snake-eyes

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Cabelas up in St. Charles Mo. doesn't carry black powder. None at Gander Mtn. over in Paducah Ky. either. The only gunshop here in town that carried it for $20 a pound says they are no longer going to order it.

Wayne: Graf & sons is located in Mexico, Missouri. Its not that long a drive from St. Charles. You can buy the powder there by the case, and they don't even have to charge you the Haz Mat fees! Go together with some members of a local gun club, and buy two cases per trip, and you can pay for the gas for the round trip. ( Check with Graf. Fed. Regs limit the amount of powder that can be delivered to you per shipment, but that rule MAY not have anything to do with how much powder you can buy and transport yourself back to your home. )

I remember my club bought as much powder as we had orders for when we made our annual trip to buy powder from a dealer in Indiana. He has since retired, but I know we drove home with more than 4 cases on one trip. I think we added $.10 per pound to the cost of the powder to pay Jerry for his gas bill. We probably broke someone's rules doing this, but we did it anyway.

At today's gas prices, you might have to charge $.25-$.50 per pound to pay for the gas, but that still is cheaper than paying shipping and haz mat fees.

A couple weeks ago I paid 12+ for the Grafs brand and they said Goex was about a buck more a lb.
They are excellent people to deal with an the new store is right of Highway 19

The club I am in did a group buy about a month before I joined and ordered it for $13 a pound. I am not sure from were though. I am about 2 hrs from St. Charles but we head up there alot. I'll mapquest it and find out exactly were the place is. Thanks.

snake-eyes said:
jbwilliams,
Check www.grafs.com. Order enough and you
will save some $$$$ There are others as well,and
you can check the 'LINKS' section to contact them.
If you are paying more than $14#,you are paying too much.IMHO
snake-eyes
That’s true, if I were purchasing more than a few pounds. But I can’t afford $200 + bulk shipments, plus shipping and hazmat. Yes, I know club members would want to split it up, but I’m nowhere near a club, and it is much more convenient to buy a pound or two for $14 every couple of months when I’m on that side of town. 5 cases at $14 # over a 5 mo. period is cheaper than 25 pounds for 315 dollars in one sitting. I don’t have time to shoot THAT much, unfortunately. All the more power to the folks who can.

Last edited by a moderator:
paulvallandigham said:
Sorry, but this is just another " Chicken Little " problem. The SKY IS NOT FALLING, folks.

There is NO empirical data that eating lead is harmful to adults. The human body is quite capable of removing all kinds of heavy metals, and does so daily.

I have a close friend and client who was a range officer/ instructor at our local police academy. When the PC police began testing everyone for lead in their blood, He and two other range instructors were removed from that teaching assignment, and given desk jobs, and classroom assignments instead. He was tested a year later, and his lead levels were well below the danger level, and well within norms. Each succeeding year he was checked, his lead levels dropped further, until there was no point to testing him further. BTW, Changes were made to the range, with ventilation systems and filter systems added above the firing line, and lead levels for the instructors who replaced him never approached the danger levels.

We are letting the government again get us to give up our rights over being SCARED about NOTHING!

Lead was shown to be dangerous to young infants( under 18 months old) because their brains were still developing after birth, and lead was being stored in the fatty tissue that became brain matter, leading to a number of central nervous system disorders, and retardation.

I don't know anyone that age who is shooting guns, or hunting with guns, and darn few who are eating meat! So, exactly how are they going to absorb lead bits that are often microscopic from deer meat shot with any rifle, much less a MLer????? Until a child develops teeth in their second and third years, eating meat is not an option.

Stop spreading the Left Wing propaganda to people without telling them the whole truth. Its been a long time since the country was focused on the lead problem long enough for people to understand the boundaries of the problem. It was a problem in big cities, where irresponsible parents allowed their children to eat paint peeling off old walls and window trim. These same parents didn't clean their homes, or take the simple precaution to watch their children and stop them from eating the pain chips. Instead of taking the children away from such neglectful parents( there were too many of them) government came up with the usual LIBERAL solution of blaming the manufacturers of paint, banning lead based paints, and requiring the paint factories, at their own expense, to retool to make paints differently. Hence, Latex paint was born.

I am not disputing that lead free paint creates a safer environment. I just grew up without knowing any kid in my town who ever ate paint chips. I don't remember how old I was when my parents told me not to each paint chips, but it was way before I reached kindergarten! And I grew up in the 40s and 50s, when lead based paints were still commonly used in homes. And my parents never allowed the paint to deteriorate to a condition where it was peeling off, and falling down on the floor, where we kids could easily reach it.

Lead is NOT harmful to the environment. Lead oxidizes so quickly that its quickly covered in either calcium, or iron oxides and neutralized. The lead you dig out of the backstop at your range will be surrounded with oxides. There is NO empirical evidence that lead bullets, or lead pellets in the environment harm any plant or animal.

Amen to that

you got good deal at 14 dollars a lb.

i had to pay 16.50 a lb to get it from grafs/son for 10lbs.

i also have NO CLUB, NO ONE TO SPLIT UP 25 LBS.

AT 14 DOLLARS , I WOULD BY 10 LBS AND PUT IT AWAY, THATS WHAT I DID.THAT WAS GOOD DEAL.

its going from 18.25/24.95 and not many places are handling it.

people forget they get in their truck and drive and spend 20 dollars on gas which brings price up to what i paid at 16.25 to my home.

i see it all time, GASOLINE IS NEVER IN FIGURES AND THEY ARE SPENDING MORE THAN THE HOME DELIVERY .

Back