• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX is Back!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! GOEX is back! Buy all you want but if your shooting a percussion gun what are you going to ignite it with?
Here’s a thought. I’d like to suggest Goex set up their own production of percussion caps. Why not? They are already in the explosives business. It shouldn’t be too difficult or too big a challenge for them. Just Imagine the market they could corner and also add to their black powder sales.

Last edited:
Wow! GOEX is back! Buy all you want but if your shooting a percussion gun what are you going to ignite it with?
I have no problem getting caps. Rem 10, 11, cci 11, rws. I just bought 5 tins of CCI from Cabelas. Online. Although i am really good at internet usage, i really amazed people still cant get caps. Right now i have enough to last a long time. Not a hoarder, i use a lot. But i have no problem finding caps.

You guys are something else! Company just starts up, gets powder flowing and you're all attacking them because they haven't sent any donation powder.
Yeah, it is amazing isn’t it? An american company dumped on by coming back from the dead and producing what we all used until Hodgdon closed them down?
Do those guys really think Swiss and Schutzen donated powder out of the goodness of their hearts or competition trying to get the lions share of the powder business after Goex demise?
I say three cheers to Goex. Please give them a chance to prioritize what they need to do.

Last edited:
I only saw just one tin of caps for $24 at the local gunshow Saturday, only one BP rifle and no powder.. Could have been more just missed them, BP supplies are scarce here.

Yes, I remember talking. It takes a lot of work to get a black powder plant running, so getting it up and running and getting powder out to everybody who is has been waiting for it has been our first priority. We have started looking at how we support youth events and we're starting to plan how we support the black powder community next year. Send me an email with the youth events you're planning and I'll see what we can do to support them.
Please be assured most all of us are very happy to see Goex back in production. I can’t begin to imagine the hurdles you’ve had to deal with to bring Goex back. Heartfelt thanks for an American company rising from Hodgdon’s ashes.

I talked to Karl K for a moment after buying a bunch of GOEX 3F at the Fall Nationals, Karl gave me a sincere thank you for my purchase, I could tell it was from the bottom of his heart. I was literally into my last pound of 3F. I didn't know GOEX was going to be there, so it made my trip to Friendship extra special. Karl said they were working hard to get the product out to the rest of the distributors throughout the country. Just hold tight, it will available everywhere soon.

I couldn't agree with you more!
Swiss & Schuetzen SUPPORTS youth shoots and clubs throughout the USA.
I don't see Goex doing that.

They can keep the Goex, I'll stick with Swiss & Schuetzen.
Always interesting in this age when the hobby is dying, to see stalwart black powder evangelists be publicly unsupportive of a company that saved the last vestige of actual black powder manufacturing in the US. Definitely, my mistake on the appropriate categorization and use of the term stalwart evangelist.

As for me, I'll happily buy it because I understand that Goex is not a company anymore. It's a brand sold by a larger company where the lion share of the volume is likely government and fireworks manufacturers. Sales will determine its availability ongoing for BP enthusiasts.

While some may argue that the hills of Germany and Switzerland are much more beautiful for shooting than say, the hills of Kentucky, I'll take Kentucky USA where I can actually own and shoot a firearm.

Last edited:
I used to shoot Goex until a friend told me to try Schuetzen. It seemed to be cleaner burning with less residue.
He said Schuetzen uses oak charcoal and Goex uses maple charcoal that leaves a little bit of sugar in the final
product. The only way to get rid of all of the sugar from maple is to completely burn the wood. Have any of
you heard this? When I find it I will give Goex another try to see if it has been improved upon.

What's GOEX?
I'm very glad you asked "What's GOEX?" GOEX started in 1802 under the duPont family in Delaware. Later a plant at Belin, PA was opened. Don't know all the particulars, but I guess Delaware did not want Black Powder being made in Delaware. GOEX has been used in many military conflicts for a long, long time. Bags of Black Powder were used to get the Big Gun Propellant moving aboard the Battleships, I believe as late as Vietnam, Korea and WWII. Timewise, GOEX is 220 years young. The new owner is ESTES ENERGETICS. And finally I will tell you GOEX is made in DIXIE at Minden, LA. I've been using GOEX for a long time, myself. It is just what the Doctor ordered for your muzzleloader.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What's stopping any of the doom and gloom types from starting a business making and marketing black powder and percussion caps. The spirit of capitalism is that if manufactured items are selling much higher than what they cost to manufacture then someone will get in on the action which creates competition and drives the prices down. Instead of attacking merchants and manufacturers, maybe we should save our energy to build a business from the ground up and get those prices down. Many a great company started in garages and barns. I suspect that it's not so easy or cheap to manufacture in this day and age. We need competition. It's feeble to attack companies for doing what they are supposed to do. Make something and sell it for as much as the market will bear. If you don't like it then make it.

I still have several pounds of Goex left from my original bulk purchase 30 years ago. I went 25+ years not using any BP until I jumped back into the sport this past year. I bought a fair amount of Swiss and Schuetzen just to restock while it was available during the time it was in sporadic supply this past Spring.

I hadn’t heard at that time that Goex was coming back to life, or I probably would’ve waited.

Thank you for putting your financial life, and your family's well being on the line, as you attempt to create a business.

These complainers, and extortion artists are an embarrassment to the board, and all rational people. Don't let them hook you.

I'll be buying a case of goex as soon as I can just to say thank you.

Keep up the good work.
The company has spent a lot of time and money to get the powder manufacturing up and running and some of these people seem to think that instead of resupplying the government and distributors with powder they should be giving it away. Well I say give them a chance and you may be surprised what will happen. I for one think we should give them a chance to recoup their investment.

I used to shoot Goex until a friend told me to try Schuetzen. It seemed to be cleaner burning with less residue.
He said Schuetzen uses oak charcoal and Goex uses maple charcoal that leaves a little bit of sugar in the final
product. The only way to get rid of all of the sugar from maple is to completely burn the wood. Have any of
you heard this? When I find it I will give Goex another try to see if it has been improved upon.
From my research of Schuetzen powder, the charcoal used is a mix of Alder, Hazelnut and MAPLE. Since Schuetzen uses MAPLE, also, SUGAR would be in the final product. I have always heard a hard wood makes the best charcoal. I think the blending of the THREE components of Black Powder, potassium nitrate (saltpeter), charcoal and sulfur is the major factor of getting superior propulsion and minimum fouling. I, also, believe ESTES will produce a superior Black Powder because they have been in the propulsion business for quite awhile. Furthermore, Karl Kulling, owner and CEO of GOEX will produce a product as good or better than is currently made overseas. Additionally, Karl Kulling is a member of our forum, going by kkulling, joined 2/1/2022. KARL KULLING is NOT going to produce a bunch of manure to be used by members of this forum and other muzzleloaders, as well. The foreign powders are $10 to $15 higher than GOEX. I've used GOEX, when most of you were a glinter in your pappy's eye. #1 MADE IN THE USA #2 GIVES JOBS TO AMERICANS #3 MADE IN DIXIE #4 KEEPS AMERICA, FIRST. KARL KULLING, as a shooter will keep us first and above all AMERICA FIRST.

GOEX, MABGA, "Making American Blackpowder Great Again"

I'm in, I had been shooting GOEX since 1976 before it was discontinued. I still have a few pounds left from the last case I bought. I've been hoarding the stuff using Schuetzen instead.

I'm sure I'll go back to GOEX as soon as I can find some. Where I live buying blackpowder is pretty much a mail order proposition. Considering what hazmat and shipping charges add to the price of a pound I purchase by the case.

I might pitch a gripe about the availability of supplies for shooting traditional muzzleloaders but I'm not giving up. Nor will I migrate to MMs where supplies seem more available. I figure the MMs have taken a lot of play away from traditional guns which is part of the reason for shortages.

Welcome back GOEX, I can hardly wait to meet up with you again. Now, if we could just get this percussion cap availability issue resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back