• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX is Back!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend and I just participated in a shoot three weeks ago shooting new stock Goex. It worked just fine as it always has for me. It absolutely was new stock because I had purchased it the week before from one of their distributors from his new shipment. Bought 10 pounds to restock some we had shot up over the last couple years. Glad it’s back!

Always interesting in this age when the hobby is dying, to see stalwart black powder evangelists be publicly unsupportive of a company that saved the last vestige of actual black powder manufacturing in the US. Definitely, my mistake on the appropriate categorization and use of the term stalwart evangelist.

As for me, I'll happily buy it because I understand that Goex is not a company anymore. It's a brand sold by a larger company where the lion share of the volume is likely government and fireworks manufacturers. Sales will determine its availability ongoing for BP enthusiasts.

While some may argue that the hills of Germany and Switzerland are much more beautiful for shooting than say, the hills of Kentucky, I'll take Kentucky USA where I can actually own and shoot a firearm.
Well said

I bought 5 lbs of 3F Goex from Powder, Inc. To support both Goex and Powder, Inc. who has been a great distributor through the years. The shortage of product of all types has plagued this sport and our country since the onset of Covid. I have been concerned for the survival of our suppliers during this period and will buy American made product as it hits the market. I applaud the business’s who have fought to stay in afloat during a very difficult time.

Always interesting in this age when the hobby is dying, to see stalwart black powder evangelists be publicly unsupportive of a company that saved the last vestige of actual black powder manufacturing in the US. Definitely, my mistake on the appropriate categorization and use of the term stalwart evangelist.

As for me, I'll happily buy it because I understand that Goex is not a company anymore. It's a brand sold by a larger company where the lion share of the volume is likely government and fireworks manufacturers. Sales will determine its availability ongoing for BP enthusiasts.

While some may argue that the hills of Germany and Switzerland are much more beautiful for shooting than say, the hills of Kentucky, I'll take Kentucky USA where I can actually own and shoot a firearm.
Lots to unpack here. First off, that "last vestige" is not EVER going to go away. Real black powder is a critical component of military munitions and you'd have to be living under a rock someplace (or a rondy) to think it's used by the military to propel projectiles anymore. Even the Pentagon and Congress critters understand that there are certain industries that will always have to be on shore for national security reasons. With that in mind, us folks with our stinky guns are hardly the largest consumer. The reality is, black powder WILL ALWAYS BE manufactured domestically. The other hard, cold part of that reality is, will it be available for us peasants to use or reserved for Uncle Sugar? So availability will NOT, nor EVER be determined by us muzzleloading types buying one or two pounds a year when compared to military and fireworks consumption. Smart businesses will diversify as possible so then some will trickle down to us. Those same businesses also realize there are "substitutes" and they'll be quite happy for us to switch to expensive T7 or Pyrodex garbage and leave them alone with their sugar daddy.

Next- nobody is arguing that Germany and Switzerland are better for shooting than the US. What IS true is that Scheutzen Energetics stepped up and filled demand in the US when there was a production vacuum from Goex manufacturers having yet another fatal industrial accident. Scheutzen also puts their "money where their mouth is" by supporting youth black powder shooting sports while Goex DID NOTHING! But why should Goex support youth when they have a rabid group in the US who will only buy Goex cuz "it's made in the USA". Talk about blind shortsightedness... Whoever is making Goex currently will always have the government and industry to buy their product, so why should they care about us? Folks go on about declining muzzleloading sports but what are you willing to do the change that? Continue to support somebody who doesn't support you? Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

Folks who talk about "consumer demand" etc don't understand that the very reason that Goex didn't support youth black powder was because THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO because Uncle Sugar was always there and will be for the forseeable future. Politicians understand that they can irritate that small percentage of their base and still always get reelected. Business operates in the same way. Again, we're the minority here so in the big picture, we don't count.

My opinion on Goex powder- it's a good basic product but Old E was much, much better. I used Old E for all competition purposes for a while. Is the new Goex of comparable quality to the old? Most likely or Uncle Sugar would be unhappy and we can't have that. Will Estes Ind support youth black powder going forward? We'll see and for me, the future of black powder and muzzleloading is NOT the 65-70yo Goex curmudgeon who by definition has a very limited shelf life left. Face it, it's the kid on his Playstation who does Instagram who hasn't been introduced to the fun of muzzleloading and black powder yet. We've talked about it. Muzzleloading has been declining for years and it's mostly because there's been almost no younger folks being introduced to it. To borrow a phrase- we have met the enemy and they are us.

All the griping is what's killing the black powder sport. Been going this way, especially on this site, for years. Running off new folks interested in the sport because they asked something, arguing about their non pc clothing, it's all been killing this sport off.

Boo hoo you didn't get any free support powder from goex. How can they support you when they were not even up and running?

I know!!! Let's start a new topic!

CCI's failure to produce percussion caps and put them out to the consumer.....

All the griping is what's killing the black powder sport. Been going this way, especially on this site, for years. Running off new folks interested in the sport because they asked something, arguing about their non pc clothing, it's all been killing this sport off.

Boo hoo you didn't get any free support powder from goex. How can they support you when they were not even up and running?

I know!!! Let's start a new topic!

CCI's failure to produce percussion caps and put them out to the consumer.....
And reading is fundamental. I was trying to contact Goex/Hogdon PRIOR to the last fatal industrial accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back