• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting more people into traditional style muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go roundball
79731810.gif
worship.gif
My brother got one of those other kinda Muzzleloaders for christmas. Finaly dragged him to the range 2 weeks ago. Let him shoot my TC Hawken 54 cap lock. Now he wants one
62c94293.gif
Now im looking for a flintlock
62c94293.gif

curly maple said:
claude explain what you mean by historical interest,

My point was, I had an interest in the people, the events, and the weapons, long before I ever saw a muzzleloader in a store. As opposed to seeing a muzzleloading rifle on a rack and then saying to myself, "Gee, I wonder who used those and when".

I sometimes get the impression that we blame the lack of interest in traditional muzzleloading on the fact that their aren't that many in the stores? My point was, I had the interest long before ever seeing one in a store. I wanted a gun like "Davy" and Daniel", not because I saw one in a store.

I wish they'd do a remake of the old Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett tv shows. Dan'l is the reason I bought my first and only flintlock when I was 13. Unfortunately it hardly ever sparked and turned me off of flint. Going to get another one some day. A good one this time.

fellow saw my name in Muzzleblast (club sec.) and emailed to see if he could shoot his inline at our range...I told him "No", but invited him to come to our next shoot and I'll let him shoot a real muzzleloader...he's coming as my guest....could be a convert..Hank

Lets not get too many started, I'm enjoying the low prices of sidelocks in my area due to the unspeakable fad and I'm loading up on side locks at really nice prices! :rotf:

There are several dealers in my area. One still sells side locks and BP.(I will not buy from an inline and fake powder dealer.) I spend money in his shop every week. I'm always making payments on one sidelock or another that I have on layaway. :shake: :grin:

I pay the extra buck or two to support him and he has the Traditional crowd wrapped up within a one hundred mile radius of his shop.

Yeah, I could get things cheaper on the net but they don't have layaway or don't run an account for me and the owner certainly doesn't know me by face or name. :grin:

Support these people if you have them in your area.

My experience has been that a typical unspeakable loader is simply trying to extend his season and will do anything to get one. He really doesn't care what he shoots it with! He wants a weapon that mimicks a 30.06 and is drilled and tapped for a scope. He is not into hunting for a challenge. He doesn't have the time to play with load combinations. He wants convinence. He doesn't know that pellets are something that drops out of a deer or rabbits ass and could really care less. :grin: It would be really difficult to inspire such person to move over to traditional.

As far as I'm concerned, states have to regulate a traditional season. When I last lived in Oregon, in order to hunt during muzzleloader season you had to have a sidelock percussion or flint. You could only hunt with an unspeakable during regular season. I'm certain that rule hasn't changed.
We need a voice to speak for us and change the laws that allow people to hunt in muzzle loading seasons with front loading modern firearms.
End of Rant. :v

Last August TheLady in Pink up here in the[url] U.P.made[/url] an announcement at our church to come see their roundy, I went, she invited me to a trial shooting sesion a week later, two weeks later I went to a club shoot using her spare rifle, next month my daughter bought me a GPR 50 cap as an early Christmas present, and now I belong to 2 clubs and am shooting as often as the weather and back roads will allow me :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Grandpa C said:
Last August TheLady in Pink up here in the[url] U.P.made[/url] an announcement at our church to come see their roundy, I went, she invited me to a trial shooting sesion a week later, two weeks later I went to a club shoot using her spare rifle, next month my daughter bought me a GPR 50 cap as an early Christmas present, and now I belong to 2 clubs and am shooting as often as the weather and back roads will allow me :thumbsup:
Lucky Dog!! :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
john12865 said:
As far as I'm concerned, states have to regulate a traditional season. When I last lived in Oregon, in order to hunt during muzzleloader season you had to have a sidelock percussion or flint. You could only hunt with an unspeakable during regular season. I'm certain that rule hasn't changed.

When the inbred hybrids first came out Mississippi wouldn't allow them during primitive weapons season. Then they did. Then they allowed them with modern scopes. Now they allow single shot cartridge rifles loaded with smokeless. What? is primitive about ANY of this? :confused: :confused:

Well i've gone and done it now lol.

Went to the range today with my dad, his roomate and my gf. My gf never fired a muzzleloader and being left handed she had to fire my dads flintlock.

After the first shot she was hooked, but now she wants one of her own becasue she can't shoot mine.And she won't stop bugging me about it, somebody help me.

wheelockhunter said:
Well i've gone and done it now lol.

Went to the range today with my dad, his roomate and my gf. My gf never fired a muzzleloader and being left handed she had to fire my dads flintlock.

After the first shot she was hooked, but now she wants one of her own becasue she can't shoot mine.And she won't stop bugging me about it, somebody help me.

Sounds like a good kind of problem to have...don't know what all you might be looking for but TC used to make a left handed Renegade Flintlock...Fox Ridge would know if they have any available (800-243-4570).

If you go that route, remember they're all 1" barrels....50/.54/.58cals...the .50 would be the heaviest due to the smallest bore, the .58 would be the lightest but the the most expensive to shoot unless you cast.

Wheelock,
It's much cheaper to buy her a muzzle loader than an engagement ring"!!! Jim

I've tried over and over again to get family and friends interested in traditional ML. They love shooting ANYTHING. Problem is they refuse to get involved in the reenactment part. To be honeast I can't blame them.I tried to get involved pre-1840 stuff and even went so far as try to start a club.Only people that called was sutlers and vendors. So then I tried CW. Bought up a bunch of cloths and hooked up with some guys. It wasn't long that back biting and gossip got the better of me and I said :blah:. I'm still stuck with a bunch of over expensive clothing that CW people just want to &%%**Hnj me out of. I refused to buy a rifle until I got hooked up,but now I wish I'd just bought the rifle and said $%#@ the rest. Truthfully everyone I know that owns a inline bought a cheappy to hunt deer with and brags about how much better it shoots then my flinter. All I can say is maybe but I have more fun. Any one want to swap a nice BP gun for some ol time cloths? I'd love to have a Brown Bess ,Charleville, or a 1842 Springfield. :hatsoff:

rebel727 said:
john12865 said:

When the inbred hybrids first came out Mississippi wouldn't allow them during primitive weapons season. Then they did. Then they allowed them with modern scopes. Now they allow single shot cartridge rifles loaded with smokeless. What? is primitive about ANY of this? :confused: :confused:

Nothing and I agree. In NY they can have scopes and can shoot with any powder as long as it loads down the muzzle. There is nothing primitive about any of this. I like your term," Inbred Hybrids." it's right on the target. :grin:

Back