• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting more people into traditional style muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think at least some folks have an interest in traditional guns for themselves, or want to "use something like Greatgrandpa used" or just try something "the old way" without having any deeper interest in history or reenacting. I have known several folks that keep alive old traditions (like certain handcrafts) without 'dressing up' or trying to relive a given period. For me the love of history and the love of old guns were separate interests until I discovered that they could be combined---Oh Joy! But some link to the past was always in the back of my mind when I shot the old style guns.

lehigh said:
Why else would people bother with a shooting system, that is obviously more involved and time-consuming, if not for the historical aspect
A horse is a bad way to plow a field or get around yet people still have horses. Sort of the same thing? :winking:
Lehigh...

You may have missed my point. I'm not talking about just "having" something. Yes, people have horses, but do they use them to plow their fields or ride them to the office?

My point was concerning the mindset of most people and their use of modern, more efficient weapons. You don't see the police using flintlocks because they aren't efficient and they aren't interested in their historic value. Doesn't the average, non-muzzleloading shooter feel the same way?

I was speculating that people have to have at least some interest in history to appreciate traditional muzzleloading weapons.

Mike Roberts said:
I think at least some folks have an interest in traditional guns for themselves, or want to "use something like Greatgrandpa used" or just try something "the old way" without having any deeper interest in history or reenacting.

That's all I was speculating about. There may be some reason beyond the muzzleloaders ability to throw a ball downrange. Otherwise, why bother with all the steps involved?

Thinking back to when I started when the hunting seasons were "traditional", I was interested in hunting first. But I also strongly equated how similiar a muzzle loader was to loading and shooting a "cannon" type weapon (2nd) and how I could control the amount of powder used for each shot (3rd). The fact that my first rifle was a mule ear lock with excellent ignition really infected me more than any historical considerations.
I find that even airguns have similiarities to muzzle loading with their single shot nature and multiple types of projectiles, etc... and that shooting sport continues to grow rapidly. Yet their historical nature isn't really their draw I don't think. (Just trying to draw a little analogy).
However, I am more interested in historical aspects now although it's not paramount.
Your effort is commendable roundball, it looks like you're not taking any prisoners! :grin:

Muzzleloading is a challenge to myself. I was tired of the simple shooting of any deer I could see and decided to shoot. I went to muzzleloaders to limit my range and to make the game a little harder. I am moving towards flintlocks for the same reason. I suspect a smoothbore flintlock will be my gun of choice before long. It has very little to do with history for me, and a lot to do with traditional hunting skills. I am as proud of my tracking skills as my shooting skills. Doing it a certain way to meet historic requirements is new to me. I only do that so that I fit in with the others at the shoots.
I take folks hunting and shooting with the guns. Most think they are interesting. Very few seem to pick up the hobby tho, or if they do, they seem to go the modern path most of the time. The most often stated reason for that is cost of equipment. 150 to 200$ startup with modern and 400 or so minimum traditional. Many don't understand paying more to get what they think as a less capable gun.

Claude Mathis said:
I was speculating that people have to have at least some interest in history to appreciate traditional muzzleloading weapons.
Yea I guess your right about that. I do like history myself.
Lehigh...

Same For me, it is the challange, one that I have yet to master.

most around here will argue with me that an inline is easier to clean than a traditional style muzzleloader, I think a lot more people would be interested if you didn't have to clean the gun at all after shooting. flinch

".want him to leave with a total conviction that Flintlocks are fast, reliable, and accurate"

I salute you Bill, I recall taking on some beginners in the past it is a good feeling to get someone into the sport, sounds like you have the "teach him to fish vs give him a fish thing pretty well worked out"

flinch said:
most around here will argue with me that an inline is easier to clean than a traditional style muzzleloader,
And I might agree with them on that but only if they using black powder and round ball :blah:
Lehigh...

Claude Mathis said:
lehigh said:
Why else would people bother with a shooting system, that is obviously more involved and time-consuming, if not for the historical aspect
A horse is a bad way to plow a field or get around yet people still have horses. Sort of the same thing? :winking:
Lehigh...

My point was concerning the mindset of most people and their use of modern, more efficient weapons. You don't see the police using flintlocks because they aren't efficient and they aren't interested in their historic value. Doesn't the average, non-muzzleloading shooter feel the same way?

In my case, I am VERY much into history... however it is a completely different time period--being roughly 1900-1946. Obviously there were still a few muzzleloaders still in use by folks in my "neck of the woods". That is NOT the reason that I became interested in muzzleloading. I find that things are more enjoyable in muzzleloading because I am in control of my loads. Don't misunderstand--It's not that I don't trust factory centerfire or rimfire ammunition or modern firearms for that matter. (I enjoy them as well.) It's just a greater sense of satisfaction and a mile wide grin when I smack the target dead center with a load that was completely prepared by me. Going a step further, it can be even more rewarding to me IF I've built the gun from parts or a kit.

I would have to say that I've become vastly more interested in the historical periods when these muzzleloading arms were more prevalent or were top of the line ordnance material. So it's kind of worked a little bit in reverse for me. I suppose that I'm an exception and not the rule though.

I got one of my friends interested in muzzleloading by actually giving him a rifle and everything he needed to load, shoot, and clean his rifle. He has not gotten as excited as I had hoped, but at least he hasn't given up on it. I do think it makes a big difference if we continue to monitor (or maybe mentor is a better term?) those who have been introduced to muzzleloading--particularly those that we personally have initiated.

It's also a pity that most mfrs. are trying to dissolve the historical link and much of the satisfaction factor, by producing designs that are so far removed from the traditional arms. I think we all know what I mean by that.

We can still make a significant impact if we continue to buy, think, and shoot traditionally.

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

I shot muzzleloaders years back, and enjoyed it. Due to time constraints and lack of friends interested in it, I stopped. I recently found a local club that has shoots and started up again and am having fun. Bought a flinter and am looking for another. I get lots of questions on the flinter while out hunting, people want to hold it, look at the lock etc etc. I think the best way to get folks into this hobby is to get the word out about shoots and clubs, have hands on sessions ( I got to shoot flinters this way and got hooked), and "network" with others that like to shoot. I think people get the impression its very complicated and difficult, guns are not reliable, hard to clean etc. Showing people how to use them and tweak them would get them over the learning curve. The club I shoot at is getting members by this approach, does woodswalks novelty shoots etc. They are going to make a permanent woodswalk area, build some primitive shelters and run some one day events to get new people interested and help those just starting out. I think this is a great approach to use, and will bring in more shooters. I'm in the process of joining this club for these reasons.

roundball said:
Several weeks ago we were posting about trying to get more people aware of and interested in shooting more traditional styles of muzzleloaders.

I went ahead and posted an invitation on a state specific board offering to conduct a hands on intro shooting session to anyone within an hours drive, and the first session is planned for this coming Saturday morning.

Unless something totally unforseen happens, there should be another individual committed to shooting traditional style muzzleloaders by noon Saturday.
:thumbsup:

The introductory range session was outstanding...I took a .50cal TC Hawken Flintlock, and used 50grns Goex 3F with .015" prelubed patches & Hornady .490's.

The individual was a good marksman, quick to learn, asked many thoughtful questions and was shooting a Flintlock very accurately and confidently by the end, offhand, 6" steel hanger at 30yds.

Let him install/position a flint, knapp a flint, load, prime, etc...showed & explained ramrod witness marks, reading patches...he experienced a 'ker-latch'...showed him what caused that and how to dump the prime, drape a rag over the vent, then knapp the flint, reprime and shoot.

As we were switching back and forth, I ended up dry-balling one, pointed out the value of the witness mark, then showed him how simple it was to pull a ball with a ball puller.

Had him wipe the bore after a few shots so he could see that Goex barely leaves a trace of fouling to dispell the myth that BP fouls a lot...he was impressed with the ignition speed, the reliability, the accuracy, everything.

So he had a great time and experienced pretty much the full set of activities normally associated with Flintlocks, and can speak positively about it from first hand experience.

Good on you, Roundball. You'll know you hooked him when he gives you a call to ask about a gun he is considering buying :thumbsup:

I think part of the problem, at least in my area is all the guns you see in the stores are primarily inline.

I can go to any gun store and see only 2 or 3 traditional hawken style bp guns and the rest are inlines. People are unfailiar with the more traditional style and it shows on the retailers shelves.

wheelockhunter said:
I think part of the problem, at least in my area is all the guns you see in the stores are primarily inline.

I can go to any gun store and see only 2 or 3 traditional hawken style bp guns and the rest are inlines. People are unfailiar with the more traditional style and it shows on the retailers shelves.

I agree, but that raises an interesting point. It reminds me of how I got interested in muzzleloading. It wasn't from browsing the items in a store.

It was from watching or reading about who would become my childhood heros and knowing what they used. By the time I was able to obtain a gun, I already knew what I wanted. Whether a local store had it or not, would make no difference, as that wasn't my "introduction" into the possibilities. I'd find what I needed, no matter where it was.

I guess this is why I keep coming back to an "historical" interest as being a major factor in one choosing to get into traditional muzzleloading.

claude explain what you mean by historical interest, is it, you like a certain period in history and then aquire the guns and accourterments of that era. it seems to me as i read this forum and magazines a lot of peaple are that way. as for me i do love history but not as much as most peaple in this sport i personally love the looks of a golden age long rifle thats why i have it. i also love the looks of a 34 ford now i think its the most beautiful car made but i wouldnt go to an old car show dressed like they did in 1934 although some peaple do. my point is i love the gun and the car more than the history of that era. i know a lot of peaple who dont care about history they are probably never going to get into traditional style muzzleloading. so do i still fall in the category of historical interest?

roundball what you did for the sport you should feel proud of :hatsoff: i think i will try to do the same thing i have a few teenagers in our church who come to my church youth shoot and i will see if they would want to have a muzzleloader shoot.

curly maple

I love history but all that aside I'd still shoot traditional guns(and flintlocks to boot) because they're easier to take care of and cheaper to shoot then the modern inline guns. I bought a modern inline for my grandson and man, was it a pain to take apart to clean it. My A&H Mt.Rifle with the hooked breech was a lot faster to clean then his inline. Also, with a flintlock ya' don't have to buy caps which saves some money. Since I cast my own round balls that also saves money because I don't need sabot or jacketed bullets like most people use in an inline. Traditional is the ONLY way to go if you like doing things your self and are on a budget.

curly maple said:
i think i will try to do the same thing i have a few teenagers in our church who come to my church youth shoot and i will see if they would want to have a muzzleloader shoot.
curly maple
:hatsoff: Sounds great!!

:hmm:...and just think if every one of the 6000+ members of The Forum introduced just one person to traditional muzzleloading during a whole year...that would be a bunch of folks!

I reposted my invitation on that same NC board again to see if I can get another individual interested...

Everytime I go to the local range folks are interested in what on earth I'm doing with my flinter.... Everybody wants to hold it but so far nobody has wanted to shoot it....

Informally shooting with friends in the woods I've managed to get some folks on the rifle by having to hunt down their different places to fire locally and having them out to shoot with me. So far I'm up to 6 folks....

Latest posts

Back